Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea City's most expensive season ticket is £489

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thats nice for them. lets look what we could do with 25k sold, that would provide a budget to pay av 10k a player. do they have some other source of income?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
You've already said it, they're from Wales.

We happen to be in the south east which is expensive. Expensive for houses, for beer, for pies, and yes for football tickets too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When they get to Newcastle for Saturday's game, they will be from Wales, innit.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
When they get to Newcastle for Saturday's game, they will be from Wales, innit.

Yes but they won't be taking the ground and all their supporters, and all staff on the pay roll with them. They are a club based in Wales. Tom Jones is FROM Wales. He does not sell cheap concert tickets because of that, as far as I'm aware.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly this

Clubs in the Prem could cut their prices in half and still make money due to the new TV deal.

It's what makes match-by-match ticket prices at places like Arsenal so obscene.

Read something this morning which suggested plenty of PL clubs have got the right hump with West Ham over this "season tickets from £289" plan for their move to the Olympic Stadium. They fear it will make their own clubs look bad and claim they can't afford to reduce ticket prices.

With all the money they're getting from TV, ticket revenue must be such a small part of these clubs' income lately. Of course they can "afford" to reduce prices: they just don't want to.

It's all well & good comparing Swansea's prices to ours, but the TV money is exactly what it's all about: they have it, we don't. South Wales isn't necessarily a massively affluent area either, so perhaps they're merely pricing at the maximum level they feel the local public will tolerate.

Palace's cheapest adult ticket was £420, but only if booked by 28th February. Basic walk-up ST price in May will be £500. £550 for the Lower Holmesdale, and another £70 on top of that for the privilege of sitting upstairs, away from the Always Ultras. Six hundred quid (from May) to sit in the Arthur Wait Shack with pillars in your eyeline & toilets that would shame a third world country. Though you do get to watch Damien Delaney & Princess Wilfried nineteen times a season, so you may view it as priceless if you're of that persuasion.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
And think that Paul Barber said he'd hike our season tickets prices if we gain promotion to the premier league.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And think that Paul Barber said he'd hike our season tickets prices if we gain promotion to the premier league.

I think the word was "review", to be pedantic :lol:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't particularly like the welsh but one I do know pricewise you cannot take the p1ss with them.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Marvellous! I expect Dylan Thomas would have loved to be your pen pal!

is that the bloke who spent his time in the USA getting p1ssed

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Read something this morning which suggested plenty of PL clubs have got the right hump with West Ham over this "season tickets from £289" plan for their move to the Olympic Stadium. They fear it will make their own clubs look bad and claim they can't afford to reduce ticket prices.

With all the money they're getting from TV, ticket revenue must be such a small part of these clubs' income lately. Of course they can "afford" to reduce prices: they just don't want to.

It's all well & good comparing Swansea's prices to ours, but the TV money is exactly what it's all about: they have it, we don't. South Wales isn't necessarily a massively affluent area either, so perhaps they're merely pricing at the maximum level they feel the local public will tolerate.

Palace's cheapest adult ticket was £420, but only if booked by 28th February. Basic walk-up ST price in May will be £500. £550 for the Lower Holmesdale, and another £70 on top of that for the privilege of sitting upstairs, away from the Always Ultras. Six hundred quid (from May) to sit in the Arthur Wait Shack with pillars in your eyeline & toilets that would shame a third world country. Though you do get to watch Damien Delaney & Princess Wilfried nineteen times a season, so you may view it as priceless if you're of that persuasion.

What I had not realised about the current TV deal (and I assume the next one too) is that "only" 52m of that deal can be spent on players wages (clubs can spend more than that of course from their other income). This has resulted in all but 3 of the PL clubs actually making a profit in 2013/14. If this new deal has something similar, there is no excuse for PL clubs to be losing money, so that makes the dropping of prices more affordable and potentially more likely.

The caveat to that is I may be completely wrong - we need input from the President of dodgy videos.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The other side to West Ham's publicity stunt in announcing £289 season tickets (I'm sceptical: is this going to be like an EasyJet sort of "bargain" where there's only about 12 tickets available for the advertised price?) is that, as Everton fans pointed out this morning, WHU have designated their final, utterly meaningless home game of the season as a Category A match, and are thus charging Everton fans £55 as opposed to the £40 or so they paid last season.

They have justified the match status by saying that it's because there will be added attractions like the Hammer of the Year award, which clearly Everton fans could not give less of a shit about. £55!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here