Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Channel 143 Livingston v Hibs.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Nothing strange there you might think but it is on Alba and the commentary is in Scottish Gaelic which is a bizarre language. Go on have a look. I do realise Alba is a Gaelic channel but it's weird watching football with commentary you are not familiar with.:mad:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I love listening to that, I can't understand a word but enjoy the sound of the language. Yes I'm a bit weird.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How many people up there actually speak Scots Gaelic as a first language these days?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought that. The interviews are in English and all the crowd chants are in English (well scottish)

Maybe it's one of those gimmicky things: I would imagine there's been a fair old surge in Scottish nationalism since the referendum. I think the number of people learning Welsh has gone up in recent years, despite the fact that it's essentially an entirely useless language anywhere outside west Wales: patriotism must play a part in that. Perhaps Scots are taking an interest in their version of Gaelic for similar reasons (having something to differentiate them from the English, probably).

Not saying it should be left to die out, by the way, I mean it's quite sad when old languages disappear. I just never realised there was a Scots Gaelic TV channel, as I honestly had no idea people still spoke it, certainly not as a first language anyway. I'd assumed it was merely something for the tourist information signs.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd also imagine that, assuming there are still small pockets of native Gaelic speakers dotted around Scotland, not many of them are centred around either Edinburgh or Livingston :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:lol:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Nothing strange there you might think but it is on Alba and the commentary is in Scottish Gaelic which is a bizarre language. Go on have a look. I do realise Alba is a Gaelic channel but it's weird watching football with commentary you are not familiar with.:mad:
I saw some SPL highlights the other day on that. If I'm honest I had no idea what language it was!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here