Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham to reduce adult season ticket price to £289

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
After the utter utter gash we served up on Sunday, they should let the fans in for nothing.

But yes, good news all round although many clubs are expected to follow suit due to a massive increase in TV revenue.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Well good for them, but they do have an extra 19,000 seats to fill as well.

i could be wrong but i think they will do well out of this move attendance wise,brand new stadium etc etc and a fairly massive supporter base......the drop in price will help as well

i wish our league was awash with money to pass on these sort of savings

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
West Ham in the Prem- cheapest tickets £289 for adults and £99 for children. Albion in the championship £465 for adults and £230 for children...

Albion probably not the most expensive in the league but must be at the higher end of ticket prices. £42 for an east / west stand match day ticket must be close to most expensive in the league.

I wonder if more clubs start dropping prices this will put pressure on clubs like Brighton to follow suit?

Personally I would drop prices as it would increase attendances, improve atmosphere, and significantly increase club income from match day spending on food, drink etc. There is a huge potential for match day ticket sales in the city, if they were around £20 sales would jump dramatically. I appreciate season tickets would also have to reduce in price accordingly to still provide some discount.

It's clear that the club would rather charge more to fewer people than charge less to more people. It's incredibly short sighted as anyone who buys a one-off matchday ticket is a potential new fan / regular attendee / season ticket holder. These people could play a big part in the future of the club.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
i could be wrong but i think they will do well out of this move attendance wise,brand new stadium etc etc and a fairly massive supporter base......the drop in price will help as well

i wish our league was awash with money to pass on these sort of savings

I am sure they will. It is just that the first club to announce reductions has a new stadium to fill. The question is whether other clubs will follow suit - I would expect those that do not sell out every week to do something, but am not convinced that those that do sell out will. I truly hope that they do though.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
West Ham in the Prem- cheapest tickets £289 for adults and £99 for children. Albion in the championship £465 for adults and £230 for children...

Albion probably not the most expensive in the league but must be at the higher end of ticket prices. £42 for an east / west stand match day ticket must be close to most expensive in the league.

I wonder if more clubs start dropping prices this will put pressure on clubs like Brighton to follow suit?

Personally I would drop prices as it would increase attendances, improve atmosphere, and significantly increase club income from match day spending on food, drink etc. There is a huge potential for match day ticket sales in the city, if they were around £20 sales would jump dramatically. I appreciate season tickets would also have to reduce in price accordingly to still provide some discount.

It's clear that the club would rather charge more to fewer people than charge less to more people. It's incredibly short sighted as anyone who buys a one-off matchday ticket is a potential new fan / regular attendee / season ticket holder. These people could play a big part in the future of the club.

The difference between the Prem and the Championship is that gate receipts in the Prem make up a small proportion of revenue and a £100 here or there will have limited impact. In the Championship gate receipts are, by far, the highest revenue item and even a £10 or £20 variance will have significant impact. On top of that we will lose money regardless, absolutely impossible to turn a profit without a lucky transfer deal

It's s**t but we're stuck with it

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

There is a huge potential for match day ticket sales in the city, if they were around £20 sales would jump dramatically. I appreciate season tickets would also have to reduce

It's clear that the club would rather charge more to fewer people than charge less to more people. It's incredibly short sighted .

Albion last year received about 5m from TV , West Ham received about 75m. The current football league TV deal is flat , the prem tv deal has increased by a further 30/40 per cent.

West Ham actually increased ST prices for next season (15/16) despite already receiving big TV income , don't offer 12 month free options , and this offer doesn't kick in until 16/17 when they move to the Olympic Stadium (built by public money) which they have to fill.

Also we've no idea , yet, what other pricing options will be. These are just the cheapest tickets ...

That said if 100m quid is being paid by Sky each year you can have a lot more options to belatedly start to do something like this. Could the albion ? Who sell an average of 25/26k tickets already in a 30k stadium ?
Whose income is tiny in comparison. ..

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
The difference between the Prem and the Championship is that gate receipts in the Prem make up a small proportion of revenue and a £100 here or there will have limited impact. In the Championship gate receipts are, by far, the highest revenue item and even a £10 or £20 variance will have significant impact. On top of that we will lose money regardless, absolutely impossible to turn a profit without a lucky transfer deal

It's s**t but we're stuck with it

Fair enough- the club wants to guarantee an income and rinsing maximum £ out of season ticket holders is the most sure fire way to do it. Increased attendances would increase matchday spend, but I can see that a significant drop in ticket prices would require a significant increase in ticket sales / attendances to make the sums add up in the short term. Again, it depends whether the club want to focus on maximising income today, or building something for the future with improved attendances and atmosphere, and new people (potential regular attendees of the future) coming to the Amex.

It's a club of contrasts at the moment- their ticket pricing strategy, and the way the first team is run, represents short-term thinking in the extreme, on the other hand building a new training facility, hotel etc suggests a long term view.

Here's some ideas to strike a better balance-

1. Reduce ticket prices, under 21's especially.

2. Introduce a 'quality not quantity' ethos to first team signings- one decent, young player, or older player who is 100% proven and not past their prime will deliver more than three past-it and/or mediocre ones. Yes they cost money but it would be money well spent, rather than throwing good money after bad on player after player who simply is not good enough.

2. Stop getting in loan players unless it's one or two rock solid players who will form a key part of the first eleven. Too many loan players will not help the team develop and build towards the next level.

3. Push players up from the youth system to make up the first team squad- they can play a part and you won't be wasting money on high wage players who don't play regularly.

4. Get a decent manager in for the long term.

Not too much to ask surely?!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well done West Ham. Let's hope this is copied by other clubs and starts to filter down the leagues. Football is too expensive.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Obviously it doesn't fit your narrative to use actual facts, but the cheapest kids season ticket at the Albion next year, is £90.
You carry on using the numbers which fit what you're trying to show, though.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Obviously it doesn't fit your narrative to use actual facts, but the cheapest kids season ticket at the Albion next year, is £90.
You carry on using the numbers which fit what you're trying to show, though.

Sorry- I just looked at u18 prices in the main stands- I stand corrected- £90 is an absolute bargain for the whole season. The disparity between this and adult match day prices is crazy but I can see that selective reasonable pricing is better than none at all!
89351c0a5f8f75a2160de9254ec4b817.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry- I just looked at u18 prices in the main stands- I stand corrected- £90 is an absolute bargain for the whole season. The disparity between this and adult match day prices is crazy but I can see that selective reasonable pricing is better than none at all!
89351c0a5f8f75a2160de9254ec4b817.jpg

Actually, I misread it. It's £70.

:thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We'll have 10,000 to fill next season.

This season our average crowds/tickets sold were 25,500 for a poor season.
There will be less season ticket holders but its likely that we have 5000 tickets to sell per game to reach 100% capacity.

We also don't have £113m of Sky income (projected West Ham tv income next season) to subsidise ticket pricing.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well done West Ham. Let's hope this is copied by other clubs and starts to filter down the leagues. Football is too expensive.

That will not happen until the wages paid to players drops substantially, I'm afraid. Which is not going to happen anytime soon.

Many clubs in the PL still make losses every year. Will this new tv deal help those that want to create a sustainable future? Yes, it should do, but will it increase their chances of relegation? Probably. Clubs like Southampton should come out of it very well as they have a production line of talent which this TV deal may help them keep hold of for a bit longer, making them potential more competitive. It's the traditional lower end of the table teams that have the big decisions on their hands - fill your stadium with cheaper tickets and risk losing competitiveness, which may result in the stadium emptying again. Then what do they do when they are relegated and do not have this huge tv deal to prop them up? It's a mess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here