Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo Calderon - Player of The Season, but no new contract (yet) ??

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"I was thinking about going to Blackburn to cheer on Rovers. "

Legend. Only contracted for 2 more games.

It's a disgrace he has no new deal.

Such an easy thing for the club to sort out, and much needed good PR.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I hate to say this but, he's not really good enough anymore. If we're looking to progress next season, then offering a playing contract to Calde based on sentiment is probably not a good idea. Let's be honest, he was only awarded player of the season due to him giving 100% and being a 5 or 6 in most games, while the rest of the squad were very inconsistent.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I hate to say this but, he's not really good enough anymore. If we're looking to progress next season, then offering a playing contract to Calde based on sentiment is probably not a good idea. Let's be honest, he was only awarded player of the season due to him giving 100% and being a 5 or 6 in most games, while the rest of the squad were very inconsistent.

Get him on the coaching staff. He's not good enough to be 1st choice in any playing position anymore. Sadly.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We currently have two right backs, neither of which are good enough or have the stamina to be playing in a team with genuine Championship Playoff ambitions.

Only one of them should be given a playing contract and purely on footballing terms rather than emotional terms I'm not sure I care who it is that's retained, they are both much of a muchness in terms of quality, although Bruno has a bit more class, and I hope we can buy much better in the Summer transfer window.

If we go into next season with Calderon and Bruno as our two right back choices then I assume it will be a season of consolidation rather than anything else.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Adam Virgo on Calderon in The Argus thinks no...

“It's a difficult one with him, because the club have got to get it right on the pitch and forget about sentiment.
“He is a massive fans’ favourite. Do I think his performances over the course of the season warrant a new contract? Probably not. Does he deserve one for everything he has done for the club? Yes.
“I think he is struggling with his fitness playing out wide right now. I think they have got to be quite ruthless this summer and do what is best for the club, not necessarily for the individual.”
“I’m for having some experienced players around you. Calde will be thinking ‘[Bruno and Greer] have been given an extra year, I deserve one too’.
“The other side of it is if they have got a right-back in mind who is at a good age and could bring more to the team then I think Calde is in trouble. Bruno offers more overall at right-back and in midfield.”

via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/12901690.Calderon_is_Albion_fans__No_1/

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Get him on the coaching staff. He's not good enough to be 1st choice in any playing position anymore. Sadly.

This is the best solution. He can always retain his playing registration for emergencies - let's be honest he'd play anywhere!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If Hughton doesn't want him in the squad, he should be given a job with AITC imo. He has done so much work with them voluntarily.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Bruno has already been given a 1 year extension.

In that case Calderon should be let go and someone who can compete at the top end of this Division should be brought in, providing that the Club have ambitions to be towards the top half of the League rather than towards the bottom.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would definitely give Calde a one year deal and earmark him as a bench player.

He can play anywhere in defence or right midfield so is a sub option should any one of 5 outfield player get injured or need replacing.

We need his versatility, his commitment and his leadership.

Re Greer - I'd let Hughes go and Greer would take that position up on the bench, then bring in a pacy centre back to cover Bruno's ass.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Isn't winning Player of the Season guaranteed to lead to the recipient leaving?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All available resources need to be targeted at signing :

2 strikers
1 winger
1 ATM
1 central defender
1 left back

before we even think about signing a new right back this summer.

Bring him back next year, Tony.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
If Hughton doesn't want him in the squad, he should be given a job with AITC imo. He has done so much work with them voluntarily.

He told me at the shirt sponsorship dinner that if he doesnt get a new contract, he will be heading back to Spain. He said he wouldnt want to play for another club.

Sadly then it seems this will be his last few games in white and blue. True legend and I for one will miss his passion.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I sort of agree with this. FWIW I would offer him a one year deal to stay as a back-up/utility player and all round good egg who can work with the coaches, young players and AITC. He has a role at this club, but I do not see it being a role that includes being a first team regular.

If the intent of the off season is to effectively rebuild this side with a view to at least challenging the playoffs then we really should be signing a fullback that can offer us more than Calde.

I'd love to see him at the club next year, but if he is a regular in the team then we are in trouble I fear.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He told me at the shirt sponsorship dinner that if he doesnt get a new contract, he will be heading back to Spain. He said he wouldnt want to play for another club.

Sadly then it seems this will be his last few games in white and blue. True legend and I for one will miss his passion.

Does that have to be a playing contract?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

well that would follow along nicely from recent player retention policies wouldn't it......he's probably on a 3rd of some of the daisies out there at the moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here