Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Queen

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
would not happen in Germany .....................................OH !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
proud
praʊd
adjective
feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.
"a proud grandma of three boys"
synonyms: pleased (with), glad (about/at), happy (about/at/with), delighted (about/at/with), joyful (at), overjoyed (at/over), thrilled (at/about/by/with), well pleased (with), satisfied (with), gratified (at), content (at), appreciative (of)
"Moira was a delight to her proud parents"
antonyms: ashamed
(of an event, achievement, etc.) causing someone to feel proud.
"we have a proud history of innovation"
synonyms: pleasing, gratifying, satisfying, fulfilling, rewarding, cheering, heart-warming; More
having or showing a high or excessively high opinion of oneself or one's importance.
"he was a proud, arrogant man".

Nope, I'm not proud to be English, as it isn't something I achieved.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
proud
praʊd
adjective
feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.
"a proud grandma of three boys"
synonyms: pleased (with), glad (about/at), happy (about/at/with), delighted (about/at/with), joyful (at), overjoyed (at/over), thrilled (at/about/by/with), well pleased (with), satisfied (with), gratified (at), content (at), appreciative (of)
"Moira was a delight to her proud parents"
antonyms: ashamed
(of an event, achievement, etc.) causing someone to feel proud.
"we have a proud history of innovation"
synonyms: pleasing, gratifying, satisfying, fulfilling, rewarding, cheering, heart-warming; More
having or showing a high or excessively high opinion of oneself or one's importance.
"he was a proud, arrogant man".

Nope, I'm not proud to be English, as it isn't something I achieved.

As usual trying to be pedantic and superior and not taking the word as it is usually used. You have obviously never joined in the chant We're proud of you to our team.on achieving promotion.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As usual trying to be pedantic and superior and not taking the word as it is usually used. You have obviously never joined in the chant We're proud of you to our team.on achieving promotion.

It's certainly not how I would use it... and as you say, promotion would be an achievement and therefore something to be proud of as outlined in the above definition.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Happy Birthday Your Majesty 89 today

I am proud to be English and equally proud of you as my queen.

Nice sentiments, but you'd be better off sending her a card. I think there's even less chance of the Queen seeing this, than of the Albion starting to take scouting tips from random pensioners.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm a "left wing anti" - I think, I'm not sure what I'm meant to be "anti" though. But I do quite like the Queen. What on earth am I meant to do here? It's all so complicated.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well no doubt I'm one of the lefties that BG refers to but I'm proud of my country, right or wrong. The monarchy is part of that.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm a "left wing anti" - I think, I'm not sure what I'm meant to be "anti" though. But I do quite like the Queen. What on earth am I meant to do here? It's all so complicated.
I think, according to the laws of tarring everyone with the same brush invoked at the top of the thread, that by being left wing you're meant to hate her with a frothy-mouthed fervour.

If this doesn't sound like you then I'm afraid you're broken, there's no other explanation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here