Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Query about ukips Nigel Farage MEP status, after election..

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
At the 2010 election he was leader of UKIP with no MPs. Infact even 12 months ago his party had no MPs - FWIW at the election I still think they (UKIP) will win 2-3 extra seats.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I believe his MEP status would be unaffected.

Although since I'm a bit thick today - what would happen if to that MEP status if he was elected as an MP ?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I believe his MEP status would be unaffected.

Although since I'm a bit thick today - what would happen if to that MEP status if he was elected as an MP ?

No, European Council decision of 2002 states that "the office of MEP is incompatible with that of member of a national parliament". An MEP who is elected as an MP, or appointed a Peer, therefore has to stand down from the European Parliament.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
No, European Council decision of 2002 states that "the office of MEP is incompatible with that of member of a national parliament". An MEP who is elected as an MP, or appointed a Peer, therefore has to stand down from the European Parliament.

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up. The first bit was for if he didnt win South Thanet, which could be rather comical if he didnt.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Ah right, thanks for clearing that up. The first bit was for if he didnt win South Thanet, which could be rather comical if he didnt.

No Worries!

He's done if he doesn't win - although when I was in South Thanet they did seem rather popular!

UKIP will at least get one seat for sure - that of Carswell's, which is almost nailed on. FWIW I think they will win four.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
will the greens keep that loony woman as leader for another 5 years even tough she wont have a seat or do they go back to Lucas?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Hopefully the good people of THanet South will tell Farage to do one and on May 8th he get get a new job writing for The Daily Mail. (prey tell he doesn't already?)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Only the most ignorant would think UKIP have a chance of winning zero seats.

Care to explain?

It would be ignorant to think that they won't get a very sizeable chunk of the national vote, but they don't have any seats that you would consider safe victories (perhaps Carswell's as others have said).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Only the most ignorant would think UKIP have a chance of winning zero seats.

Firstly, you can't win zero seats. If you have no seats it means you haven't won anything.

Secondly, why would it be ignorant? Some polls and political comment is pointing toward that? Perhaps it would be just as ignorant to suggest they'll have more than zero? ???

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-nigel-farage-is-on-course-to-lose-south-thanet-election-after-experts-predict-ukip-wipeout-10187516.html

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Firstly, you can't win zero seats. If you have no seats it means you haven't won anything.

[/URL]

This is one occasion where English language convention allows for apparent contradiction. It makes sense as does 'winning no seats' or in football competition 'winning no games' or 'scoring no goals'.

There's not even an obligation for a party leader to stand for a seat in parliament, let alone win one.

The best example is Nicola Sturgeon, who isn't a candidate in this election.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here