Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton - Most dangerous place to be a student....

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Well I live in Lincoln, which just had yet another murder a few days ago on portland street, which if I remember likely, is considered the most dangerous street. With lots of robberies, burgalries and all sorts. I suppose because Brighton has two large universities, crime would be proportionally higher. Lincoln isn't safe, my girlfriend who studies criminology had a police sergeant talk about the impact of policing cuts, they have like 6 patrol cars at a time for Lincoln. It's horrific.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Seems extremely hard to believe. I moved to Brighton from Nottingham largely because it was so rough. In three years in Nottingham:
-bike stollen
-bricks thrown through front windows of my house three times
-chased by muggers on way home from lectures
-housemate beaten up in a random attack
-people smoking crack on our doorstep on a regular basis.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
829 crimes per 1000 people? Surely 82% of students aren't the victim of crime annually. That is an insanely high figure

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's not bullshit. It's statistics. But the data is interesting.

They got these figures by getting crimes from the surrounding area of a hall of residence .That surrounding area is a MSOA. These middle layer super output areas have to have a minimum population of 5000 and a max of 15,000. Assuming a dot is placed on every private hall of residence, then the nearest MSOA's data is gathered. It's no wonder Brighton looks horrendous.

I don't have a map of how Brighton's OAs look, but here's a map of Brighton Uni's halls. Imagine drawing a net around the nearest MSOA at each point here and getting the crime stats per 1000 people. That town centre hall must drag the stats waaaay south. Moulscobe certainly won't help either.

Capture.PNG

I'd love to see the location of the halls of residence for each of the universities in the list.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
829 crimes per 1000 people? Surely 82% of students aren't the victim of crime annually. That is an insanely high figure

Each student vote for the Greens is counted as a crime.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Completely meaningless scaremongering. Not all crimes are "dangerous". You could live in a place where there were 10 murders in a year and 50 armed robberies but that data would make it appear safer than a place where there were 70 bike thefts (to use an extreme analogy).

No wonder people who work with data and statistics tear their hair out at the way numbers are abused by journalists.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do they count every student who's had a sausage/can of beer stolen from the fridge ?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I agree with that entirely, Sussex University is in the equivalent of The Bronx and Moss side rolled into one.

Stay away students, go to much safer places.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
It's a cheap shitty press release using dirty crime stats that don't really prove much. Using the word 'dangerous' is scaremongering as the crimes committed in those areas could be small time.

It's just Brighton has a larger concentration of students living in one part of the city whereas somewhere like Bristol the students are completely spread over the whole city.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I've been to the Gaza strip for a lads weekend, holidayed with the family in Basra and went camping in Syria. But I can 100% confirm, a shopping trip down Lewes rd was by far more dangerous.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Anecdotal evidence suggests people feel extremely safe in Brighton. What crimes are we talking about? I know there is a huge amount of retail crime in Brighton, due to our homeless and drug taking population maybe they've lumped that in? Hardly dangerous to students though.

Dec 29, 2011
It's not bullshit. It's statistics.

I said it's a bullshit article, which it is. As other have alluled to: more crimes doesn't mean more dangerous, it's a sensationalised headline. If students live on London road which has a lot of shoplifters caught, that doesn't mean it's more dangerous does it.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Seems extremely hard to believe. I moved to Brighton from Nottingham largely because it was so rough. In three years in Nottingham:
-bike stollen
-bricks thrown through front windows of my house three times
-chased by muggers on way home from lectures
-housemate beaten up in a random attack
-people smoking crack on our doorstep on a regular basis.

Where abouts in Nottingham?

I had no problems during my 3 years but one of my friends was burgled twice.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A French exchange student was knocked over by a bus in Western Road on Thursday and suffered a fractured skull.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The fuller detail includes the following: 'Of the recorded crimes a Brighton student area had the highest rates of violence and sexual offences, burglary, and theft from the person'

This may give the impression that violence and sexual crimes are always occurring in Brighton. However do these figures include all the reports of homophobic behaviour occurring in and around the Amex, where there is no sexual assault.

I would have thought that rather than looking at reported crimes around the halls of residence, that it would have been better to ask the students themselves if they had been a victim of crime while away at university. I'm certain that this would give a much different result with Brighton much lower down the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here