Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone ever set up a football team? tips/advice wanted

Oct 25, 2003
i'm setting up an 11 a side team for next season and it seems like there's probably loads of little things that need sorting that I don't have experience of....has anyone got experience of setting up a team? any wisdom you'd like to pass on?

one thing that one of the players asked me today....how much does it generally COST per game?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have set up one at each pub that I have been at. I would suggest you get the formal things sorted like joining a league and paying the fees and also getting your county affiliation number. Sorry cant help with figures as times have changed since I did it but if you do it properly the league and county officials will guide you through all the formalities.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
i'm setting up an 11 a side team for next season and it seems like there's probably loads of little things that need sorting that I don't have experience of....has anyone got experience of setting up a team? any wisdom you'd like to pass on?

one thing that one of the players asked me today....how much does it generally COST per game?

I think you might have to be CRB checked?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/safeguarding

http://www.amateur-fa.com/coaches/crb-checks

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You would have to be a gay masochist to try it on with a squad of adult footballers, one would assume. You may strike lucky with a few secretive moves on individuals but do not need to be CRB checked for that. Good luck anyway.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Hi Chris/Paul/Tony :wave:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My side pay £30 subs, then £5 per game. £55 doesn't quite cover the cost of pitch plus ref, but you make it up on the away games.

You can get a full set of kit for £100-£150, then balls, etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I believe the stadium will come in at about £120m.
Training facility around £20m.
Then you'll just have to underwrite £10m or so, annual debt.

Good luck, I think you'll need it as it would appear to be a thankless task.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I ran a team for 7 seasons out of 11 and without wishing to put you off, it's incredibly hard work and time consuming.

A few tips:-

Delegate some of the responsibilities to trustworthy and organised people. Accounting, managing and admin are all really time consuming.

Read up on all of the rules. The local FA and Sussex Sunday league are *******s for dishing out fines. Some of which are ridiculous and petty and explains the massive drop in teams and divisions.

Be strict on collecting subs and signing on otherwise you could be left out of pocket. We used to charge £25 signing on and then £6 per game. Pitches are usually £70+ per game and refs are between £20-25 the home team foots the whole bill so whilst your out of pocket for those you make the money back plus some in your away games. Also factor in affiliation and player registration fees which are £2 per player per year.

I hope it works out as it can be really rewarding, it's just a shame that pitches, facilities and a lack of appreciation from the leagues causes huge amounts of problems.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I manage a girls team so a little different but not sure where you would get a kit for £150! You should get online and start getting the cost of a full kit sorted. You should start sounding out the team to see if any work for a company that might want to sponsor the kit. Our girls team with a squad of 12 cost about £400 including printing numbers and sponsors. Add to that training costs. Will you hire a venue (normally crucial for the winter months). We train on a 3G pitch from Oct to March and it isn't cheap but you do get to play every week. Matches are another thing. Mid Sussex tend to close pitches at one raindrop but then they don't drain well here so you might be luckier in Brighton! For games you probably have to have pitch hire and pay for a referee.

Suggest you try and work out what your annual costs are likely to be and possibly get players to make a one off payment so they are committed.

Good luck.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here