Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many games does Hughton get next season?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Give him to Christmas? Too little or too long?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
46 games in the league season, 3 further if required.

Consistency is important, to everyone bar Watford. Our biggest problem in the last few windows is that there are different voices, different ideas and different demands for style of players. The idea of having one bloke picking the players wasn't a bad idea, if it had meant consistently signing similar players of a high standard who would add depth and class to the squad. The failings of the windows was signing players who haven't turned out to be any good, in the main.

Chris Hughton is a long term manager, give him both windows next season and then see where we are at the end of next season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Give him to Christmas? Too little or too long?

Not sure the clock should start again, I'm not in the camp that all our players are crap (including those that were good for the past 1/2/3 seasons)

So, it all depends how bad it gets ... 6 or 7 straight losses from the off and any lingering thoughts I have that I might be wrong about him would disappear

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The crowd will turn very quickly if we start off badly and play like we have recently. Not too many if so. Hopefully he will get a decent budget, make some early signings and we'll start the season off with a few decent results and a decent style of football.

I just want to enjoy next season, not too bothered if we are top 6 or not, just don't want to be propping up the division and playing shit again. Not asking too much is it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hughton gets all next season, same as Hyypia would have got this season if he hadn't done the decent thing and resigned. Bloom had no intention of sacking him, else he wouldn't have flown back to Oz, only to have to fly back again a couple of days later to interview for his replacement.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
46, plus the cup games.

If things were REALLY dire by Christmas, might need a rethink, but what we really need now is a bit of consistency, not a continuing merry-go-round of managerial changes.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Another shit thread on NSC from a dull moderator

Why not get behind Hughton and look to the future instead of questioning how long he has? I get bored of these threads.

This club is screaming out for stability and a bit of financial backing on the pitch.

Ketchy

Steve Fosters Sweat Band
May 19, 2009
Seaford

Why not get behind Hughton and look to the future instead of questioning how long he has? I get bored of these threads.

This club is screaming out for stability and a bit of financial backing on the pitch.

:clap2: this

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
46, plus the cup games.

If things were REALLY dire by Christmas, might need a rethink, but what we really need now is a bit of consistency, not a continuing merry-go-round of managerial changes.
Agreed. Long-term thinking and stability is what we need right now and Hughton, despite the frustrations the fans may currently be feeling, is the right sort of boss for that.

Couple of examples of clubs in the Championship who have been rewarded for sticking by their managers for the long-haul (relative to the average of 6-months or whatever ridiculous stat it is these days at least): Middlesbrough, who went 8 games without scoring a goal last season under Karanka before he was able to bring in the sufficient attacking quality in the summer, and Ipswich, who had some pretty uninspiring spells during McCarthy's rebuilding job after he initially stablised things.

Sometimes you have to stick out some poor football before things come good over a longer period of time. Hughton feels to me like the sort of manager who will reward our patience if we can recruit well and to his demands this summer with more astute Kayal-like signings. But then I may be way off the mark.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Chris Hughton is a long term manager, give him both windows next season and then see where we are at the end of next season.

Is he?
Accordingly to Wikipedia:
2008 Newcastle United (caretaker)
2009–2010 Newcastle United (Sacked)
2011–2012 Birmingham City (left to take over at Norwich)
2012–2014 Norwich City (Sacked)

Not really long term

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
He will get to the end of his contract, unless he resigns before hand. Bloom won't pay for his sacking.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Well said, some people have no idea. We are in this mess because we have changed manager at the end of the season for the last 2 seasons, failed to invest in decent replacements for the players we have sold what this club needs is a few years of stability and then we may start to move forward.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
He's going nowhere for the next three seasons so all this Hughton out is pointless. Fans might want him out if he looses his first 10 games but Bloom and the board will not bow down and will stick with him and that includes relegation.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Agreed. Long-term thinking and stability is what we need right now and Hughton, despite the frustrations the fans may currently be feeling, is the right sort of boss for that.

Couple of examples of clubs in the Championship who have been rewarded for sticking by their managers for the long-haul (relative to the average of 6-months or whatever ridiculous stat it is these days at least): Middlesbrough, who went 8 games without scoring a goal last season under Karanka before he was able to bring in the sufficient attacking quality in the summer, and Ipswich, who had some pretty uninspiring spells during McCarthy's rebuilding job after he initially stablised things.

Sometimes you have to stick out some poor football before things come good over a longer period of time. Hughton feels to me like the sort of manager who will reward our patience if we can recruit well and to his demands this summer with more astute Kayal-like signings. But then I may be way off the mark.

Best, most sensible, level headed post I have seen on here for a long long time. Countless clubs go through these periods, clubs a lot bigger than ours, more history, more fans, better potential and they are all treading water and have been for years. Your Leeds, Birminghams, Ipswichs, Charltons, Watfords, Nottingham Forest's, Derbys, etc etc etc. We have to walk before we can run. Getting to The Amex had a worrying effect on a sizeable chunk of our support. They thought we had a device right to stroll into top flight football with the appointment of a manager who would snub the like of every bigger club than us. We'll we are lucky to have someone with a reputation as good as Hughton. He may be a success, he may not but he needs at least a full season to recover from this shambles of a season.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Is he?
Accordingly to Wikipedia:
2008 Newcastle United (caretaker)
2009–2010 Newcastle United (Sacked)
2011–2012 Birmingham City (left to take over at Norwich)
2012–2014 Norwich City (Sacked)

Not really long term
Doesn't bear out on his Wikipedia page, though he's not exactly able to control when clubs decide to sack him. Think more what he's getting at is that Hughton is at the stage of his career where he's unlikely to be interesting any top flight clubs anytime soon and is also unlikely to quit in a huff if we don't look like romping the league next season. Thus would seem ideal for a more stable period following the past few years.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Best, most sensible, level headed post I have seen on here for a long long time. Countless clubs go through these periods, clubs a lot bigger than ours, more history, more fans, better potential and they are all treading water and have been for years. Your Leeds, Birminghams, Ipswichs, Charltons, Watfords, Nottingham Forest's, Derbys, etc etc etc. We have to walk before we can run. Getting to The Amex had a worrying effect on a sizeable chunk of our support. They thought we had a devine right to stroll into top flight football with the appointment of a manager who would snub the like of every bigger club than us. We'll we are lucky to have someone with a reputation as good as Hughton. He may be a success, he may not but he needs at least a full season to recover from this shambles of a season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here