Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I Am Going To Support Hughton...

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Expecting to get shot down for it, but here are my reasons:

1) He was coach at Spurs for 10 years, working with 10 different managers. Spurs are not known for employing cautious managers, and not one of these managers chose to get rid of him;

2) Newcastle United supporters staged a protest when he was fired, having got them promoted and comfortably in mid-table. Newcastle fans are not known for their tolerance of boring football. Many pundits, including Alan Shearer were shocked and disappointed when he was sacked. I think most of the country were;

3) Took Birmingham City to 4th in the Championship;

4) Kept Norwich above the relegation zone in the Premiership- until he was fired. Norwich were then relegated.

It is widely known that his first job was to keep us up. It looks pretty likely this is going to happen now.

He has signed a cracker in Kayal.

If you look into his background everyone you speak to says he is an intelligent man, a thinker. Faced with our squad, it looks rather like he is making us hard to beat, knowing that as we are not going to score goals the best way to counteract that is not to concede. Over the past 3 games, the BBC make us as having twice as many attempts on goal as our opponents. Ok, not shots on target, but it is accepted that our strike force is poor.

Ok, he signed Leon Best. From working with him in previous years, he obviously thought that 'Best' could help out with a few goals. Best has been dire, of course, but players let managers down. I'm sure he won't be returning.

Hughton has a good record in this division. He has to work with the group of players that he has been given. I think we should hold our nerve and give him backing in the transfer market. If we are still playing like this in December, then think again. Until then, I'm going to give the man a chance.

Taking cover now!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
5) Look at the shit options at his disposal to work with, especially in an attacking sense, needs to be backed by the chairman this summer.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
My support hasn't wavered one bit for Hughton.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

1) He was coach at Spurs for 10 years, working with 10 different managers. Spurs are not known for employing cautious managers, and not one of these managers chose to get rid of him;

2) Newcastle United supporters staged a protest when he was fired, having got them promoted and comfortably in mid-table. Newcastle fans are not known for their tolerance of boring football. Many pundits, including Alan Shearer were shocked and disappointed when he was sacked. I think most of the country were;

4) Kept Norwich above the relegation zone in the Premiership- until he was fired. Norwich were then relegated.

It is widely known that his first job was to keep us up. It looks pretty likely this is going to happen now.

If you look into his background everyone you speak to says he is an intelligent man, a thinker. Faced with our squad, it looks rather like he is making us hard to beat, knowing that as we are not going to score goals the best way to counteract that is not to concede. Over the past 3 games, the BBC make us as having twice as many attempts on goal as our opponents. Ok, not shots on target, but it is accepted that our strike force is poor.

Ok, he signed Leon Best. From working with him in previous years, he obviously thought that 'Best' could help out with a few goals. Best has been dire, of course, but players let managers down. I'm sure he won't be returning.

Hughton has a good record in this division. He has to work with the group of players that he has been given. I think we should hold our nerve and give him backing in the transfer market. If we are still playing like this in December, then think again. Until then, I'm going to give the man a chance.

Taking cover now!

Thank God for that - one sensible post in amongst the doom and gloom merchants
Thoroughly agree with everything you said

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Taking cover now!

Excellent post, swung one leg off the fence now !!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Faced with our squad, it looks rather like he is making us hard to beat, knowing that as we are not going to score goals the best way to counteract that is not to concede.

I agree with most of your post except the above! We are not hard to beat!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have to give the guy a chance. I'm not sure that Jose or Van Gaal could do much with this squad.

If, as hopefully expected, we stay up we can judge him on the summer signings. If no quality is brought in....... Lord help us.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Taking cover now!

No need to take cover. I am sure a lot of people agree. I am concerned about the lack of motivation on the pitch but when you are down the bottom of the league heads drop very easily. I hope he gets some better players on on permanent deals and not loans(although the season long loanees have been ok.)

Recent results would suggest he hasn't made us hard to beat and his record is similar to Hyppia.

Most sensible answer on this thread so far. The double standards of fans for Hughton vs Hyypia is laughable.

Hughton has had an easy ride from fans throughout, has had more chance to bring in his own players yet still his record stinks as bad and anyone watching the games can see we are a worse team now than under Sami.

Thank god for Nathan Jones brief spell in charge it will likely turn out to be the reason we stay up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure we are not going to have a choice so we will see if the op's very very optimistic post holds up next season. Happy to go on record as not very impressed with Hughton so far.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Concerned, who wouldn't be? But until the bloke is given the chance to get rid of the rubbish that he has been saddled with and brought in his own players who can possibly judge him one way or the other? If you gave Jose this squad does anyone really think we would do significantly better ? If you cannot score you cannot win...

Course if he signs Best on a permanent deal I am going to hunt him down and kneecap him :lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My support hasn't wavered one bit for Hughton.

Same. He's been given the unenviable task of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic this season. And still he's managed to bring in the quality signing that it Kayal. The time to judge Hughton is after his summer signings (and shipping-outs).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Most sensible answer on this thread so far. The double standards of fans for Hughton vs Hyypia is laughable.

Hughton has had an easy ride from fans throughout, has had more chance to bring in his own players yet still his record stinks as bad and anyone watching the games can see we are a worse team now than under Sami.

Thank god for Nathan Jones brief spell in charge it will likely turn out to be the reason we stay up.

Yep, many were vitriolic towards Hyypia after only just two months. “Bin the Fin”, “Clueless” and “inept” was all over NSC and he was driven out of this club by the fans. I will support every manager but Hughton is getting an easy ride compared to Hyypia and the double standards on here is, as you say, laughable.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
He hasnt really had the chance to bring in too many really. Loans in the latter part of the season usually involve players surplus to requirements, the same can be said for January transfers. We need to give him time, even if you dont rate him, we MUST have a stable pre season to give ourselves a chance.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We need to get behind CH as he has walked into a total pigs ear created by others that will take quite a bit of time to sort out.

Providing we are reasonable next season and not in a relegation dog fight that will do. There is one hell of a rebuild job required as others have completely cocked up big time, certain people at the top need to ensure this does not repeat itself.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here