Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How poor is Harford?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
didn't get to the game yesterday but analysed the 'highlights'. Halford was involved in most of the defensively inept moments in the game, whether it being out of position, failing to stop crosses or not getting in a timely tackle. This is nothing new as most of the recent goals against have been as a result of his poor defending. Generally I had a view that he wasn't a bad player but, looking back at key incidents, he just isn't up to the standard required.I

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I don't know, but what about Halford?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I don't get the love he seems to get from some. Journey man utility player, could do a job in any position but I wouldn't fancy him being a regular centre back in the championship.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Average player

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Halford had a bad game yesterday but was involved in the great game at Fulham in December and afterwards when Greer was injured.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think, and have said it many times, if the wages are right he would be a good versatile utility man to sign to be on the bench but not a first choice to start each week.

I think that's about right. Reminds me of Adam El-Abd in some ways, a capable player in several different positions, but a great one in none. As you say, fine as a stand in, but not really as a regular starter.

Another problem with a loan player like Halford, is that one wonders, if the going gets really tough, how much they are really willing to give for the cause.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I had been impressed with his experience and composure earlier in the season, but he has not recovered from the Reading away game when he was exposed at full back. This confidence (lack of) issue is running right through the team. (Correction: not 'team' just a 'collection of players')

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Very, very poor as rightback.

Better as central defender.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Similar to El Abd, in that he's reasonable in the air, but run at him and you're probably likely to get the better of him, and seems to get turned as well. Beaten easily by Matt Derbyshire at Rotherham, again by Callum Wilson against Bournemouth, and again yesterday. Sadly the same can be said of Dunk - see Birmingham's second and third goals.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Initially, I was quite impressed but in recent games he has been caught out a few times and is not looking as solid. If he was consistently good he would not be out on loan. Assuming, optimistically, that Greer will not be a regular next season, I don't think Halford would be a strong enough replacement.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thought he was decent and probably the best of our centre backs in the second half of the season. However, I've seen articles that have described him as one of Forrest's 'high earners' that needed to be shipped out so that they could try and bring their finances in line with FFP. Given the amount that Forrest have thrown at their team in the past 2 years, I would imagine that whatever he's currently on is far more than we're prepared to offer him to stay permanently. He probably knows this and therefore knows that he'll be on his way back in 2 weeks to see out his lucrative contract. Can't do much for motivation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here