Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
ch-wigan-l229-2410375_478x359.jpg

Chris Hughton
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
19:29 18th April 2015
by Paul Camillin
We are in the situation where we are fighting to make sure we get the results that we need to stay division. "
Chris Hughton

Furious Brighton & Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton tonight admitted he was distinctly unhappy with his team's display, as they went down 2-1 to relegation rivals Wigan Athletic.Victory for Albion would have all but secured their Championship status for 2015/16, and relegated their hosts, but instead Hughton was left to rue a missed opportunity.
Speaking after the game Hughton said, "I am annoyed and angry. We are in the situation where we are fighting to make sure we get the results that we need to stay division.
"We are fighting for our lives, of course Wigan had to win the game too, we knew that. So we knew how they would come out.
"In periods of that first half we just were not good enough; we showed in the second-half we knew what we needed in this type of game, but we needed to have that fight from the first half and the first minute of the game and we didn't do that.
"It's the type of game you have got to scrap and if you can’t play the sort of football that you want to play then you have to make sure that you don’t allow the opposition to get into a rhythm and play and we allowed them to play.
"We were poor on the ball in the first half period, but better in the second half. I expected a response and got it, but I'm bitterly disappointed that having got back into the game we did not contain them. We had to make sure that we didn't make any more mistakes and we did for the goal.
"We have had games and periods before when we haven't played particularly well, but we have been sturdy enough as a team and we haven't conceded. Unfortunately for us, in a poor period in that first half, we did concede and then again during a better period for us in the second-half."

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Hughton says he can understand the frustrations of the Albion supporters, and says he is disappointed to be in a position where his team still are not safe."The fans know where we are in the division, and this is their football club. They are a passionate crowd and I can understand their frustrations.
"As a manager and as a team, we have to understand that it's down to us at this moment; it is only us who can put things right and improve and we have to do that next Saturday.
"I'm bitterly disappointed in the game we wanted to win here, which would have alleviated the pressure on us, and we haven’t been able to do that.
"At this moment my thoughts are more on the disappointment of our performance and the outcome of today’s result, rather than taking anything from any other teams' results."

[h=3]ALBION V WATFORD****
[/h]SATURDAY 25TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 12.15PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here