Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CH team selection

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You would think by now that Hughton would know his best team
He tinkers, chops and changes, and it results in an ineffective line up
How can this instil consistency?
He fails to motivate, passion is lacking, I see little difference from the shambolic Hyypia
We play at a tempo that is slow and predictable...sorry but he is not the future

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
What he has is not upto it, its like re arranging the deck chairs.

we do not have enough players of sufficient quality to compete a this level. i would say only about 6 are of championship quality and of that 6 only about 3 of them are top half calibre.

we are extremely lucky that this season there are several very poor teams.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know he hasn't got the players but it fills me with dread for next season that he seems totally incapable of inspiring them to raise their game. Even the ever willing CMS appears to have thrown in the towel. I have seen nothing that makes me think that he can change things during the game either. All in all pretty underwhelming so far.

Last edited:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
This is what has most disappointed me about the last two months.

I was happy when we appointed Hughton, as I thought it meant a change if direction for the club - an experienced English manager with a good pedigree, and experience of winning promotion from the Championship.

However, his negativity in both team selection and substitutions has both surprised and disappointed me. He starts with a negative team and waits until we are 1-0 down (which with our scoring record is game over) before changing it up. You just have to look at the strikers in the last two games to sum up his tenure - Best starts against Huddersfield, is replaced by CMS who then starts yesterday, but who in turn is replaced by O'Grady. I wouldn't be surprised if O'Grady starts against Watford.

Talking of the Huddersfield game, why put out a team that looks like it's set up not to lose, with Calde on the wing (who, as much as I like him, does not carry much of a threat)? Why not play the two genuine wingers at your disposal, and attack a poor Huddersfield team with nothing to play for? If he had done, I'm convinced we would have won.

I'm of the opinion that, out of our current strikers, only O'Grady is good enough to be in our squad. However, I do have a certain amount of sympathy with all three of them, as they have not had a run of games in the team, which every striker needs.

I'll reserve judgement on Hughton until next season, as he needs a summer to get his own team together, and a striker who will be regular first choice. There is also no doubt that the current squad have not been good enough. However, the last two months have produced some of the worst football and team selections I've seen over the last two years, and that is saying something.

Time will tell.

D

Deleted member 2719

This is what has most disappointed me about the last two months.

I was happy when we appointed Hughton, as I thought it meant a change if direction for the club - an experienced English manager with a good pedigree, and experience of winning promotion from the Championship.

However, his negativity in both team selection and substitutions has both surprised and disappointed me. He starts with a negative team and waits until we are 1-0 down (which with our scoring record is game over) before changing it up. You just have to look at the strikers in the last two games to sum up his tenure - Best starts against Huddersfield, is replaced by CMS who then starts yesterday, but who in turn is replaced by O'Grady. I wouldn't be surprised if O'Grady starts against Watford.

Talking of the Huddersfield game, why put out a team that looks like it's set up not to lose, with Calde on the wing (who, as much as I like him, does not carry much of a threat)? Why not play the two genuine wingers at your disposal, and attack a poor Huddersfield team with nothing to play for? If he had done, I'm convinced we would have won.

I'm of the opinion that, out of our current strikers, only O'Grady is good enough to be in our squad. However, I do have a certain amount of sympathy with all three of them, as they have not had a run of games in the team, which every striker needs.

I'll reserve judgement on Hughton until next season, as he needs a summer to get his own team together, and a striker who will be regular first choice. There is also no doubt that the current squad have not been good enough. However, the last two months have produced some of the worst football and team selections I've seen over the last two years, and that is saying something.

Time will tell.

I agree with what you say apart from do you trust Hughton to get his own men in? I don't I just feel every player will have a negative mentality and with his consistent team changes we will never get any flow. He hasn't shown any confidence in any player apart from maybe Stockdale. I believe he has to go he isn't getting the best out of our squad.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Needs the transfer window to get his own men in. Most of the chopping and changing has been done after we strung some results together to make us safe (more or less). I get the feeling that these last 5 games have been used to get a good look at players like CMS, Best, Carayol etc.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I agree with what you say apart from do you trust Hughton to get his own men in? I don't I just feel every player will have a negative mentality and with his consistent team changes we will never get any flow. He hasn't shown any confidence in any player apart from maybe Stockdale. I believe he has to go he isn't getting the best out of our squad.

I'm not sure, but I think he needs to be given the opportunity to do so. He did bring in Kayal after all, and if we field 11 players of his quality next year, we'll do well.

He hasn't filled me with confidence, but I'm hoping things improve next year. Was he known for tinkering in previous job? He must have kept some consistency to be successful with Newcastle, Birmingham and (to a degree) Norwich.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why is Ince not being played?

Is it because he is off during the summer? Seems to have been dropped since he gave the interview about being flattered re premier league interest.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why is Ince not being played?

Is it because he is off during the summer? Seems to have been dropped since he gave the interview about being flattered re premier league interest.

Maybe CH wants to have a proper look at Stephens before the summer? I don't understand the thought process behind a player - i.e. Ince - being dropped because another club might be bidding for him in 3 months.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last Tuesday we kept a clean sheet with Dunk & Halford. Then on Saturday, Dunk is dropped, Greer is in, so we concede two goals, away from home, for the first time since last December.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Don't think he is the right man for us as his tactics are team selection are very strange. No Ince, playing Best, not playing 2 strikers, not playing our top scorer (dunk), playing Calderon right winger ???, think we are all in agreement all weird decisions. Get rid now please, don't let him loose on a player recruitment project in the summer as he is proving to
Be inept in my view.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Much as I admire Calderon as a person and for his commitment to the club, he is not a right winger, and nor is Bruno. However, Hughton's insistence on playing two elderly Spanish right backs together is one of the many baffling selections he continues to make. Yes, Ince has made mistakes but it seems that every time he does, he's dropped for several games. Stockdale is an average keeper (with a rather inflated opinion of his abilities) but he doesn't get dropped when he makes mistakes. O'Grady was finally showing signs of becoming an asset to the side, especially with his ability to hold the ball up, but instead he gets a few minutes now and then and we are landed with Best, who has contributed virtually nothing. There are many more selections which are equally baffling, none of which have led to a feeling that next season will be any better. Perhaps the job should gave gone to Nathan Jones; after all, at least he managed to motivate even this bunch of ordinary players.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I thought he got it spot on against Bournemouth with the exception of Best until we lost Kayal! But his selections overall are erratic in out in out Chirs "Hokey Cokey" Hughton

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Last Tuesday we kept a clean sheet with Dunk & Halford. Then on Saturday, Dunk is dropped, Greer is in, so we concede two goals, away from home, for the first time since last December.
Totally agree with this, what sort of reward is this for a clean sheet, if a striker scores (as if!) they get a run in the team, surely the same should be for defenders and not conceding goals.

I know that CH has taken over a poor squad but he just needs to play a settled side and gain some confidence, changing a team for the sake of it is just pointless and can't give the players any confidence.

At first playing Calde in midfield worked and credit where credit is due but it hasn't worked for weeks / months now and something has to change. No pace in the side makes us so easy to defend against.

The signing of Kayal shows that CH has an eye for good players however the loan signing of Best concerns me, would you give CH a budget to spend in the summer, he clearly doesn't have an eye for forward players.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
After listening to the Barber interview, it was the recruitment team that identified Kayal, although Hughton had previously looked at him when at Norwich.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The signing of Kayal shows that CH has an eye for good players however the loan signing of Best concerns me, would you give CH a budget to spend in the summer, he clearly doesn't have an eye for forward players.

After listening to the Barber interview, it was the recruitment team that identified Kayal, although Hughton had previously looked at him when at Norwich.

I had a hunch Kayal was identified pre Hughton

So we have Best, Ledesma, and Carayol

#mustdobetterchrissy

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Needs the transfer window to get his own men in. Most of the chopping and changing has been done after we strung some results together to make us safe (more or less). I get the feeling that these last 5 games have been used to get a good look at players like CMS, Best, Carayol etc.

Why would he be looking at Best and Carayol? I hope he isn't planning on buying them/adding them as permanent members of the squad. If he is looking at players maybe he focus his attention on players already on the books?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why would he be looking at Best and Carayol? I hope he isn't planning on buying them/adding them as permanent members of the squad. If he is looking at players maybe he focus his attention on players already on the books?

Chances are that he's given up on Best; the fact that both CMS and COG were used before him yesterday seems to indicate that. Can't see that Carayol will be made an offer either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You don't need to worry about Carayol, as he has signed a contract extension with Middlesbrough. He's only on loan with us as he's coming back from injury.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe CH wants to have a proper look at Stephens before the summer? I don't understand the thought process behind a player - i.e. Ince - being dropped because another club might be bidding for him in 3 months.

Well if 'his head isn't right/has been turned', why play him?

Happens all the time. More recently Bridcutt/Buckley, who were left out, the former requested it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here