Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relegation - What would it mean to you?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'm still fairly confident that we'll stay up this year, albeit just, but I wondered how folks would feel in the unlikely event that Millwall and Rotherham do the business, the trap door opens and we slip into League 1 next season? I think I'd feel shocked and numb, not to mention angry that I'd just signed up to pay over £50 a month to watch League 1 football; and I shudder at the very thought of this. I know it's only a game but one look at the teams in League 1 leaves me with a feeling of despair at how far we have fallen in such a short time; and the low key games we can look forward to in 2015/16. A top flight stadium and training ground graced only by third tier football. Could it get much worse?

Let's hope we can pick up something from the Watford and Boro games and salvage some pride from the disastrous year we've had. It's about time we had something to cheer about. Incidentally, I wonder whether the club will allow season ticket holders the option of cancelling their seats for next season should we end up being relegated? I signed up to watch Championship football and will probably still attend games in League 1 but I suspect there will be a lot of fans who will try to cancel their tickets should the unthinkable happen.

And yes, I feel even more disappointed and pessimistic than usual today.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sadly I would feel that my feeling a few weeks ago that Hughton isn't the man for the job, was justified. I would also feel I had paid upper echelon Championship price for two season tickets under false pretences. I would hope Hughton and Calderwood would fall on their swords and that Jones and Calde take over.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I actually think it wouldn't be a bad thing if I had faith in the manager and chairman to start again properly.

We could then rise up again and with momentum do what we did under Gus. Lots if teams have come up from league one and then into the premiership. We have lost that momentum now sadly and need to start again. Maybe relegation and promotion would bring that back. But I fear the current management don't know what they are doing whether we stay up or go down.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would mean we wasted the last promotion, and set ourselves back 4 years + at least 1 season in league 1.

FFS, 5+ wasted years.

:nono:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
To anyone visiting SB bookies and investing a £50 free bet on us to go down (at current odds of 125/1) it would mean a handsome windfall of £6,250...

Given that we are likely to troll around the lower divisions indefinitely that would pay for the next 10 years of season tickets.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Visiting a few away grounds have not been to and a deserved kick up the arse for the club

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Nothing worse than people saying relegation wouldn't be a bad thing, Are people that utterly stupid? The implications of relegation are massive especially for a club like us who lose millions every year as it is.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
but we would lose, Kayal, Dunk, Ince plus others not as important. With the board the way it is they would probably look at it that we do not need to buy anyone else as it should be a good enough squad for league one.

CMS 30 goals next season? for who, bet we dont try and keep him and let him go. If we do try it will be 3 days after he has signed for someone else like all our usual dealings. ie Ward last season was £15k a week for Wolves we wanted to sign him permanently on £12.5 and were shocked when he said no. Eventually agreed to pay it after sodding about for a month by then Burnley stepped in and agreed to pay him even more so he went to the Prem. Mistake in my mind as he has not played that much for them and would have played every week for the Albion but you have to take the chance of playing in the premier league if you get the chance especially at 30

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
financial implosion and the feeling that we had it all in our hands and threw it away.

My Albion mojo would be at rock bottom, no excuse for our failure utterly self inflicted by the management of the club who believe their shit dont stink.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I actually think it wouldn't be a bad thing if I had faith in the manager and chairman to start again properly.

We could then rise up again and with momentum do what we did under Gus. Lots if teams have come up from league one and then into the premiership. We have lost that momentum now sadly and need to start again. Maybe relegation and promotion would bring that back. But I fear the current management don't know what they are doing whether we stay up or go down.
Hey come on!! Never wish us to go down. Lets hope we stay in this divison this year and start afresh with new blood next year. They can't and won't keep a lot of the players of this season. No matter how bad we seem, there are still some clubs worse than us.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
relegate
v.
1590s "to banish, send into exile," from Latin relegatus, past participle of relegare "remove, dismiss, banish, send away, schedule, put aside," from re- "back" (see re- ) + legare "send with a commission" (see legate ). Meaning "place in a position of inferiority" is recorded from 1790. Related: Relegated ; relegating ; relegable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would be the culmination of the Five Year Plan that went wrong and would piss me off just a tad more than I already am as not much about the way this club is run, on the football side, impresses me.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
This post is utterly pointless... We. Are. Not. Going. Down.

Unless it has been mathematically proved, then post something about relegation.

Yes, the team has been playing very poorly with no desire, but I think it's time to move on and give them full support for the next two games.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
We're not going down, BUT .....

I'm coming to the conclusion that it actually wouldn't be a totally bad thing. Yes, our income would suddenly plummet - but then we wouldn't be able to go out and splash cash on a load of expensive rubbish. And 20,000 STHs still means we've a fair amount of financial clout for a League One side. And fans want to see a winning team regardless of the division; a promotion season from tier 3 is always better than a relegation season from tier 2.

One of the things that stops me embracing relegation as an unwanted but necessary step back is the fact that I'm not totally convinced we are capable of building (and running) a side able to challenge for promotion - and I'd rather struggle in the Championship than League One. You get to start the FA Cup in round 3 for starters.

On balance I want us to stay up and rebuild from here rather than dropping any further.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To answer the OP question, very disappointed, however:

As [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] said, a welcome kick up the rear for the club and opportunity to re-evaluate.

No more weekends off due to internationals.

(Hopefully) a fair few hammerings of other teams.

Cheaper tickets.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
No need at all for a season ticket. Plenty of space to pick and choose games. Saving money when as a season ticket holder you are unable to go (not feeling well etc).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here