Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This run is worse than any under Hyypia .......

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It is. Hyypias first 10 games 13 points, Hughtons last 10 games 9 points. We have ended the season weaker than we started it.

Hughton got the luck that Hyypia was due and turned a team with intent into a really negative one by the time we played Blackpool at the end of January.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
sort of BUT, he regulalrly has Ince warming the bench and consistently favours Best to start, both his decisons (thats to Hampster)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Equally as uninspiring to me, neither seem to inspire the players either. Both brought one quality player to the squad though.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Our squad is terrible. No strikers and just one creative midfielder = no chance of scoring goals. Be thankful the squad still have the Oscar + Poyet defensive qualities lingering around. Average at the back with absolutely nothing going forward was never going to end well.

The club gambled with recruitment, that's obvious to see. Tex, Gardner, Hughes, Halford, Bennett, Holla and Colunga were all cheap options. We then spent money on Baldock (unlucky with an injury), O'Grady (never settled) and Stockdale. The intent for a play off push was there IMO. On paper, Holla, Colunga, Bennett, Tex (who was the brightest spark) and Gardner could have been quality signings. Colunga was plucked from abroad just like Ulloa, and he had great pedigree before coming here. Unfortunately, most of those players turned out to be complete gash. Gardner has to be the most ineffective midfielder I've seen. Has Holla really played at the top Duch level? - his performances for us wouldn't suggest he has. Signing players on lone like Best, Ledsema and Carayol during a season just shows how desperate we've become. Relying on a 33 Calderon to paly in attactive midfield is just pathetic for a team with our infrastructure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I prefered what Hyypia was trying to do than Hughton.

I could never get my head around ageing full backs on the halfway line and wingers in the middle of the park and slow midfielders covering the full backs. Madness. Hughton is just a very very dull man and his tactics seem to reflect this.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Probably have enough points to stay up,but the squad is awful and the manager is tactically inept.
Next season won't be any better.
Hughton is a defensive coach at best.Nothing more.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Our squad is terrible. No strikers and just one creative midfielder = no chance of scoring goals. Be thankful the squad still have the Oscar + Poyet defensive qualities lingering around. Average at the back with absolutely nothing going forward was never going to end well.

The club gambled with recruitment, that's obvious to see. Tex, Gardner, Hughes, Halford, Bennett, Holla and Colunga were all cheap options. We then spent money on Baldock (unlucky with an injury), O'Grady (never settled) and Stockdale. The intent for a play off push was there IMO. On paper, Holla, Colunga, Bennett, Tex (who was the brightest spark) and Gardner could have been quality signings. Colunga was plucked from abroad just like Ulloa, and he had great pedigree before coming here. Unfortunately, most of those players turned out to be complete gash. Gardner has to be the most ineffective midfielder I've seen. Has Holla really played at the top Duch level? - his performances for us wouldn't suggest he has. Signing players on lone like Best, Ledsema and Carayol during a season just shows how desperate we've become. Relying on a 33 Calderon to paly in attactive midfield is just pathetic for a team with our infrastructure.

You forgot about our wonderful signing Toko from Grasshoppers, so good that he was released after less than six months. He was so bad the development squad refused to play him.

EddieReader

Aug 15, 2010
Worst game I've seen all season today. (Wigan) No idea @ all & Ince on the bench again Kezanga looks half the player he was! Why do so called good mangers come here & are inept.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For three months under Hughton our results were those of a mid-table team - good going with the squad we've got, and too long a period to be discounted as the 'dead cat bounce' (although that could be the reason for NJ's success). Don't know what's gone wrong lately; hopefully CH will get it sorted in the summer.
There seems to be an ethos at the club, left over from the Gus and CH days, of patient possession football; unfortunately this has stagnated into an ethos of not doing anything with any sort of speed. Maybe two or three good signings will enable that to be turned round.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I pity our season ticket holders, as they are the only people turning up to watch this shìt because they've already paid.

That said, Hughton is eroding any goodwill he previously built up with this turgid "10 behind the ball and nick one on the break" nonsense. I know it's pragmatic and only about staying up, I know it's not his fault because he inherited a squad that wasn't up to it. But people have PAID to watch this.

In my opinion he gets until Christmas to prove himself, assuming we stay up. That means he's had a summer to assemble a squad, and four months to get them playing together. If it's still dire by then, Bloom needs to look at it again.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In Feb/March we were all confident of staying up because ' one team always drop like a lead balloon' nobody thought that team would be us. What has gone wrong? Whose fault? Lack of goals is the answer but again why!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In Feb/March we were all confident of staying up because ' one team always drop like a lead balloon' nobody thought that team would be us. What has gone wrong? Whose fault? Lack of goals is the answer but again why!

Don't know about you, but I'm much more confident of staying up now than I was in February!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lack of goals is the answer but again why!
Because none of our strikers are very good.

I'm hoping that Baldock will start the new season a different player, perhaps with better service from midfield and full backs fit and young enough to bomb down the flanks, and that COG will be a squad player. All the other strikers can do one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here