Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We do NOT take on loan players with a commitment to play them for X games or Y minutes...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...as revealed by Paul Barber on this week's Albion Roar.

We do, however, have loans where we will have to pay a higher %age of a player's wage if we do not play them as often, but the manager would not be aware of these.

Given this, Gary Gardner must have had some decent dirt on Sami Hyypia...

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
...as revealed by Paul Barber on this week's Albion Roar.

We do, however, have loans where we will have to pay a higher %age of a player's wage if we do not play them as often, but the manager would not be aware of these.

Given this, Gary Gardner must have had some decent dirt on Sami Hyypia...
OK -I'll rephrase it.
Given this, Gary Gardner must have had some decent dirt on Sami Hyypia but it doesn't explain the reason for Leon Best having played so much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder how realistic it is that the "manager doesn't know"?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It it either credible or desirable that such information is kept from the manager?
Yes, it's certainly desirable. You want the manager to be free to pick the best team to do the job. It would be counter productive to do otherwise. And since it's desirable, it's obviously credible too.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can't believe anyone thought we actually did this. No manager worth his salt would sign a player on that sort of contract.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, it's certainly desirable. You want the manager to be free to pick the best team to do the job. It would be counter productive to do otherwise. And since it's desirable, it's obviously credible too.

I find it hard to believe the agent and therefore the player doesn't know. It wouldn't take much for the manager to find out.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I find it hard to believe the agent and therefore the player doesn't know. It wouldn't take much for the manager to find out.

In my mind there would be a difference between the manager finding out in conversation with an agent or a player who just happens to let something slip, and a manager being told formally by the hierarchy within the club that player X has been signed on such and such a basis, with an either stated or implied message that he has to take note of that and pick the team accordingly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In my mind there would be a difference between the manager finding out in conversation with an agent or a player who just happens to let something slip, and a manager being told formally by the hierarchy within the club that player X has been signed on such and such a basis, with an either stated or implied message that he has to take note of that and pick the team accordingly.

I totally agree. I'm just pondering how realistic or workable this arrangement is.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The majority of managers - if not all of them - upon being told of a %age clause would and should think 'so what...?'

The fact that a player has arrived on loan is the manager's concern; what the details of the loan contract are shouldn't be.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You think Gus Poyet would have given a sh*t if he was told he was spending more of the club's money by playing / not playing a particular player?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
A manager is surely always going to pick the best team for a particular game. A few thousand pounds a week here and there is little compared to the significance of gaining or dropping points.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So is CH selecting Leon Best purely on ability or simply thinks he'll be saving the club some money to put towards a decent striker next season ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm gobsmacked by Leon Best's appearances then. Truly gobsmacked.

The manager knows the player from other clubs he has managed and knows what he would be capable of so picks him (plus whatever happens in training) is my guess.

I don't think it would make too much difference whoever played up front atm, the tactics or is it the lack of the right sort of player in our squad, mean that the lone striker up front is often isolated, gets the ball played to them in such a way that they will either struggle to retain possession (surrounded by defenders and played at a height that makes it harder to shield the ball and retain possession) and if they do get the ball, there is no one making runs for them to play in, there is no one to play a quick 1-2 with to try to create space for a shot, there is no space being made by our other attacking players, drawing the defenders away from the striker and ofte the build up play is so slow that the defence have reorganised long before the ball is liekly to go into the danger area (next time watch how many times we would have the opportunity to cross but only have one in the middle so hang onto the ball for longer out wide, or how often there isn't another Brighton player within 20 to 30 yards of our striker when we start to attack and the other players are either out wide on either flank or near the half way line)

We need players who get forward who would be able join the lone striker and also try to get onto the early crosses into the box which would surely become more common if there were players to aim at.

Macca for example usually only gets the ball played very wide toward him for him to run onto, he is supposed to be threatening the goal and looking to score but we struggle to play in the area just outside the 18 yard box and in Maccas case, if he gets onto the wide ball, there isn't anyone to play it to (Ulloa against Forest was probably the last time) - so to summise, striker forced out far too wide, no support and little hope of scoring on his own due to the high number of defenders.

It's been a problem for a few seasons now and it's not a recent thing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The manager knows the player from other clubs he has managed and knows what he would be capable of so picks him (plus whatever happens in training) is my guess.

I don't think it would make too much difference whoever played up front atm, the tactics or is it the lack of the right sort of player in our squad, mean that the lone striker up front is often isolated, gets the ball played to them in such a way that they will either struggle to retain possession (surrounded by defenders and played at a height that makes it harder to shield the ball and retain possession) and if they do get the ball, there is no one making runs for them to play in, there is no one to play a quick 1-2 with to try to create space for a shot, there is no space being made by our other attacking players, drawing the defenders away from the striker and ofte the build up play is so slow that the defence have reorganised long before the ball is liekly to go into the danger area (next time watch how many times we would have the opportunity to cross but only have one in the middle so hang onto the ball for longer out wide, or how often there isn't another Brighton player within 20 to 30 yards of our striker when we start to attack and the other players are either out wide on either flank or near the half way line)

We need players who get forward who would be able join the lone striker and also try to get onto the early crosses into the box which would surely become more common if there were players to aim at.

Macca for example usually only gets the ball played very wide toward him for him to run onto, he is supposed to be threatening the goal and looking to score but we struggle to play in the area just outside the 18 yard box and in Maccas case, if he gets onto the wide ball, there isn't anyone to play it to (Ulloa against Forest was probably the last time) - so to summise, striker forced out far too wide, no support and little hope of scoring on his own due to the high number of defenders.

It's been a problem for a few seasons now and it's not a recent thing.
Agreed. It's a system set up for 1-0 - keep a clean sheet, keep possession and snatch the odd goal - old style continental football. It worked well enough under Poyet, and to a lesser extent under OG. Now, though, we don't have the players (including the strikers) to make it work.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here