Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sack the Board or at least two of them (coming to a club near you) if Labour govern

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Labour Manifesto:

Interesting proposal!

Sport

Sport brings us together in an expression of our local and national pride. It is where young people learn about leadership, teamwork, the pursuit of excellence and strength of character. With a Labour Government our children will participate in a minimum of two hours of organised sport every week at school.

Football clubs are an important part of many people’s identity and sense of belonging. They are more than just businesses. But despite their importance in the lives of their members and supporters, too often there are no effective means for fans to have a say in how their clubs are run. Labour will provide the means for supporters to be a genuine part of their clubs. We will introduce legislation to enable accredited supporters trusts to appoint and remove at least two of the directors of a football club and to purchase shares when the club changes hands. We will also review the role of fan participation in other sports.

We will ensure the Premier League delivers on its promise to invest five per cent of its domestic and international television rights income into funding the grassroots.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
cue a poll coming up as to which two then?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Would be better if we could remove 2 members of the cabinet in a mass 'press your red buttons to vote'. Ant & Dec can host it, prime time for ITV on a Saturday night.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a load of s..t if I had put money into club why should I have to sell it to a nobody. If I wanted to sell it would be to the best offer if I needed the money or to person I thought could do the job not a person who is popular with a certain clique.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
cue a poll coming up as to which two then?

What a load of s..t if I had put money into club why should I have to sell it to a nobody. If I wanted to sell it would be to the best offer if I needed the money or to person I thought could do the job not a person who is popular with a certain clique.
I was going to vote for you BG.....:)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just to upset a few, Greg Stanley suggested I join the board as a fans rep under Brian Bedson and the answer he received was "show us the colour of his money and he can". I must point out before anybody jumps that was when my stocktaking company did work for GS and long before Archer was on the scene.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

??

It doesn't say the owners "have" to sell the club, it just says "when" the club changes hands, shares must be made available. The sale price for those shares will (as is normally the case in a takeover/transfer) will be set in agreement between the existing shareholders and the new [majority] owner. Selling 1,000,000 share to Joe Bloggs at £10 each raises exactly the same as selling 990,000 shares to Joe Bloggs and 10,000 to Joe Public at £10 each.

As always the devil will be in the detail but I imagine that the complexities of a modern sports business will make this a pointless exercise. No mention of whether the shares have to carry voting rights, whether any subsequent dilution of the shares will require compensation or a rights issue, whether indeed the shares will be in the club (as normal people understand it), athe Holding Company or some worthless subsidary of the Holding Company. At best the fans will have a nice piece of paper telling them they own a miniscule part of the club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why would somebody buying Aston Villa want to reduce their holding and power over any decisions they may wish to make by allowing a minor shareholder with less money at risk to have a say in the runnning of the club.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The question that really needs to be asked is what is the point?
Even if 2 people are put on the board the clubs other directors who are most likely going to be appointed by the owner will still dictate decisions that are made.
Also why make shares available? Unless a certain quantity are going to be made available than all that will happen is the new owners will oversee a compulsory purchase of all shares that they did not buy originally
Whole thing seems a bloody pointless exercise and a stupid idea

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even if 2 people are put on the board the clubs other directors who are most likely going to be appointed by the owner will still dictate decisions that are made.
Also why make shares available? Unless a certain quantity are going to be made available than all that will happen is the new owners will oversee a compulsory purchase of all shares that they did not buy originally

True

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Exactly, complete waste of time. Either demand that our clubs are owned under the German model (50+1 to the the members/fans) or just do not bother, 'some' shares being 'available' means nothing, as does fan representation on the board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here