Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christians killed

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
12 Christians who were migrants from Libya were thrown to their death by other migrant passengers according to the Italian police. This will probably be given an convenient wide berth by our press.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Some of you might have had church going grand fathers who fought the Fascist Atheist Nazis in the last World War. Hang your heads in shame.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
From yesterdays Guardian, i thought it might be more acceptable to many than other sources.

Christianity is under siege in the very place where it was born. Hundreds of thousands of Christians have fled Iraq and Syria in the face of Islamic extremism and conflict. After a six-week trip across the Middle East in which I met church leaders and embattled congregations, it is clear to me that Christianity is hanging by a thread, and may not survive in some places. Some Christians said that after the brutality they had suffered and witnessed, they feared that relations with their Muslim neighbours could never be restored.
In Iraq the situation is critical. I visited the monastery of St Matthew, which has occupied a mountain top above the plain of Nineveh, in the north of the country, since the fourth century. Below you can hear artillery blasts and see western airstrikes on Islamic State positions. When Christianity stretched across the Roman empire, 7,000 monks worshipped here: today only six are left, and hardly anyone dares visit the ancient site which could soon become just a relic of Christianity in the region.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Watched an interesting documentary on BBC yesterday, how Christianity is in danger of dying out in the middle east where it was born partly because of Islamic extremists and other reasons.

Live and let live would be my motto.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Some of you might have had church going grand fathers who fought the Fascist Atheist Nazis in the last World War. Hang your heads in shame.
I'm not getting the point you're trying to make here? I am more than willing to accept I'm missing something obvious!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Who are you suggesting should hang their head in shame, I don't see any posts before yours that warrant that.

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I'm not getting the point you're trying to make here? I am more than willing to accept I'm missing something obvious!

The point is, a lot of people, maybe you, now treat Christianity as a joke. Whether you are religious or not you should at least respect and have concern for the plight of followers because, for one reason, a high percentage of those who fought and died for our freedom in the last World War were of Christian faith.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Watched an interesting documentary on BBC yesterday, how Christianity is in danger of dying out in the middle east where it was born partly because of Islamic extremists and other reasons.

Live and let live would be my motto.
Churches & Christians are being burned in Pakistan & Northern India.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
How anyone would consider beheading aid workers as part of their religion should be hunted and wiped out. Then they can meet their god to see if that was what he/she wanted.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The point is, a lot of people, maybe you, now treat Christianity as a joke. Whether you are religious or not you should at least respect and have concern for the plight of followers because, for one reason, a high percentage of them were the people who fought and died for our freedom in the last World War.

This makes no sense at all to me, sorry. I have great respect for all people that have fought in wars throughout the ages. My respect is not dependant on their religion and nor will people get my respect and concern purely because they share religious beliefs with people I respect. Having said that all people have my respect and concern until they, themselves, personally have demonstrated that they do not deserve it. Someone will not lose their religious beliefs by sharing religious beliefs with someone that has.

In short, Religious beliefs have no effect of whether some receives my respect or concern. I think your premise that a group of people that share the same religion should also share the same level of respect afforded to one subgroup for their heroic acts.

As for Christianity being a joke, I would disagree with this. All religions are in my opinion are on the same level of nonsensical fantasy but I would never label them a joke given the serious nature of the problems they are used in.

Pretty sure i have no need to hang my head in shame.

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
This makes no sense at all to me, sorry. I have great respect for all people that have fought in wars throughout the ages. My respect is not dependant on their religion and nor will people get my respect and concern purely because they share religious beliefs with people I respect. Having said that all people have my respect and concern until they, themselves, personally have demonstrated that they do not deserve it. Someone will not lose their religious beliefs by sharing religious beliefs with someone that has.

In short, Religious beliefs have no effect of whether some receives my respect or concern

As for Christianity being a joke, i would disagree with this. All religions are in my opinion are on the same level of nonsensical fantasy but I would never label them a joke given the serious nature of the problems they are used in.

Pretty sure i have no need to hang my head in shame.
Yes I have amended my post. it makes more sense now.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
The point is, a lot of people, maybe you, now treat Christianity as a joke. Whether you are religious or not you should at least respect and have concern for the plight of followers because, for one reason, a high percentage of those who fought and died for our freedom in the last World War were of Christian faith.

No, sorry, I'm still not getting why heads should be hung. People of all faiths, from both sides, lost their lives in the both the Wars, whether in service or as collateral damage. I'm thankful to many of those, regardless of their choice of deity.

I respect all faiths equally and would feel sorry for those poor sods thrown off a boat regardless of their religion.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The point is, a lot of people, maybe you, now treat Christianity as a joke. Whether you are religious or not you should at least respect and have concern for the plight of followers because, for one reason, a high percentage of them were the people who fought and died for our freedom in the last World War.

Yes that's the trouble with democracy and free speech, Sometimes you empower the very people who will use their free speech and freedoms to destroy you. Our politicians are more concerned with local issues and simple economics leaving global politics to our dopey american friends who are more interested in creating franchises for oil and trade selling weapons and protecting their own interests thereby allowing the religious zealots and maniacs to gain support for their Jihad

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No, sorry, I'm still not getting why heads should be hung. People of all faiths, from both sides, lost their lives in the both the Wars, whether in service or as collateral damage. I'm thankful to many of those, regardless of their choice of deity.

I respect all faiths equally and would feel sorry for those poor sods thrown off a boat regardless of their religion.

What I was trying to say, Sometimes i wish i could make my points more succinctly :).

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

They were thrown over board for being Christians I suspect. If they were not Christians they would not have been thrown over board, so you would not have to feel sorry for them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here