Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Academy.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
How long before the academy starts producing championship quality players?

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Solly March?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Anyone know whats happening to Ragnar Mar-Laurusson? He scored twice against Liverpool on saturday for the U18s. and has been making the subs bench for the U21s. I think hes contract is up in the summer, or has he signed a new one?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We haven't produced a home grown striker who is Championship + standard for over 50 years

What about Virgo who converted to a striker while in the Championship?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some time probably 5 - 8 years. Recently they had a chance to sign 4 x9 year old but turned them down. 1 signed for Villa, 1 for WBA 1 for Arsenal 1 for Man U. Which is not looking good. I sent them details of a 15 year old striker who is probably joining Bournemouth lives in Guildford not sure if they have followed it up but not even the courtesy of an e mail of acknowledgement of receipt.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Cook?Elphick?
Those two look like Prem quality to Me.

There you go then - perhaps this goes back to players who have not been utilised to best effect ( 'even' considering where their best qualities lay)

That seems to have been an ongoing issue given those we have allowed to leave - perhaps It makes one wonder about the board / mangement !

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Some time probably 5 - 8 years. Recently they had a chance to sign 4 x9 year old but turned them down. 1 signed for Villa, 1 for WBA 1 for Arsenal 1 for Man U. Which is not looking good. I sent them details of a 15 year old striker who is probably joining Bournemouth lives in Guildford not sure if they have followed it up but not even the courtesy of an e mail of acknowledgement of receipt.

I suspect they receive plenty of recommendations from fans regarding recruitment. I remeber the 'ask the club' section on this board was inundated with them too. Without being rude, you can't expect the club to follow them all up. It's unplausable. If they've had those players at the club training with them and decided to let them go, then that's a different issue. As a professional from the club would have cast his eyes on them and judged them inadequate at this particular moment etc.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
About 20 minus the age of the youngest group of youth players.

If the youngst group is 10 then it will be a decade.
This is pessimistic. The fact that it is a Cat 1 Academy means that we'll be able to attract and sign the best players at all ages up to U21 level. They don't have to start at U10.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To the best of my knowledge they never even sent a scout t o have a look. Our chief scout is based in The Midlands. My beef is that as you say they must get many recommendations so why not have a computerised acknowledgement for a junior to send.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Anyone know whats happening to Ragnar Mar-Laurusson? He scored twice against Liverpool on saturday for the U18s. and has been making the subs bench for the U21s. I think hes contract is up in the summer, or has he signed a new one?

He initially joined us as a scholar (at the start of the 2013-14 season, his clearance came through in October that year). The FA Monthly Registration bulletin shows that a new contract was registered on January 1 this year, which I assume was a professional contract. Unfortunately the bulletin gives no indication of length, but I would assume he has been tied up at least until the end of the 2015-16 season.

It is a pity that the club can't be a little more forthcoming with these details. Oh well, you will have to get your updates from NSC instead. :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe he's just not good enough. Bournemouth's academy is category 3; if he was anything special, he'd have had he choice of going to a club with at least a Cat 2 academy if not a Cat 1. This is why getting Cat 1 status was so important. Not only are the facilities much better, but the teams also play in higher standard of competition. Where would you want to be developed (or want for your son) if you had the chance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here