Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop acting like a big club.

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
My son and myself at least agree on this. When we stood in the rain at the Goldstone or sat in the rain at Withdean and we were crap at least we had the board
to have a go at . The passion has gone. All gone corporate now . They just want more and more of our money. Buy a burger and chips outside the ground for
£4-50 or come and join the 1901 club where you can get said food for £14-00. Or pop in the café before the game for pie and chips for £3-00 or pay £6-50 in the lounge. Yes we have a shiny new stadium but it is not super rich Arsenal at the Emirates where you see top of the premiership football every week and regular
Champions League games. We are a smallish championship club and this year not a very good one. After supporting for 57 years I never thought I would lose the buzz of going to watch my beloved team. But it has and it saddens me.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
My son and myself at least agree on this. When we stood in the rain at the Goldstone or sat in the rain at Withdean and we were crap at least we had the board
to have a go at . The passion has gone. All gone corporate now . They just want more and more of our money. Buy a burger and chips outside the ground for
£4-50 or come and join the 1901 club where you can get said food for £14-00. Or pop in the café before the game for pie and chips for £3-00 or pay £6-50 in the lounge. Yes we have a shiny new stadium but it is not super rich Arsenal at the Emirates where you see top of the premiership football every week and regular
Champions League games. We are a smallish championship club and this year not a very good one. After supporting for 57 years I never thought I would lose the buzz of going to watch my beloved team. But it has and it saddens me.

Stop acting like a corporate sponsor, pay £4.50 for a burger & chips outside the ground, go in the cafe for pie and chips at 3 quid.
Make your own choices.

el punal

Perhaps then you need to start watching and supporting a non-league club. Last weekend I watched Eastleigh play Alfreton in the Conference, in a ground that made Withdean look almost Wembley - like in comparison. You would have loved it - a tinny old P.A. system, a hut selling dodgy burgers that were more expensive than the Amex, the dreaded Port-a-loo and a crowd of 1,440.

My thoughts? Well, as I looked around the piece-meal ground I thought how lucky we Albion fans are to be in our shiny, new, state of the art, 30,000+ all-seater stadium. I also thought that but for the fortitude and perseverance of Albion fans twenty years ago that we too could have been playing in something similar or worse to Eastleigh's ground.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we are a big club

its just the team forgot that

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After supporting for 57 years I never thought I would lose the buzz of going to watch my beloved team. But it has and it saddens me.
Oh well, can't please everyone.

This has been a rubbish season, but I've endured worse at the Withdean (for my tastes) and personally I'm really happy to be watching decent players (admit it or not, we're a lot better than we were 9 / 10 years ago) playing at a nice stadium in front of decent crowds.

We could do with a better atmosphere, but that will come back with better results, and when we have a team worthy of new songs (we sold the ones we had).

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
we are a big club!!! bigger then lots anyway! we need to start proving it on the playing side! that means buying quality players and stop trying to do it on the cheap with poxy loans!!! a big summer ahead cos i dont think too many people are gonna put up with anymore of the dogshit we see week in week out!!!

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
It’s a bizarre feeling at the moment, I've been going for 35 years, last night felt strange, people booing the centre forward, people verbally criticizing the team and being told to shut-up by others, people shouting encouragement and no one joining in, people trying to start a song and being looked as if they have just arrived from another planet, no atmosphere.

It seems whatever your action/level of support whether it be positive, negative or just damned frustrated it is viewed dimly by another sat a few rows away.

Big Club? I'm not sure. We certainly need taking down a peg or two at corporate/boardroom level and start trying to find some grit, steel and determination on the pitch. A team that galvanises the support is what is required a bit of modesty, bit of pride.

That video pre-match, Ward, Case, Reinalt, Storer, Zamora, not all good times but we knew how to cheer, moan, celebrate and despair, the difference being we did it together (not the West stand at the Goldstone, they always moaned).

We need a CEO who is a football man,choosing Barber over Gordon Smith has cost us 5 years or more at least.
Could see the way it was going when we went cold over the Van Dijk deal.
That's when I knew this club is not about football anymore but bean counters.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Which cafe do you get pie and chips for £3 in Brighton!? :mad::mad:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s a bizarre feeling at the moment, I've been going for 35 years, last night felt strange, people booing the centre forward, people verbally criticizing the team and being told to shut-up by others, people shouting encouragement and no one joining in, people trying to start a song and being looked as if they have just arrived from another planet, no atmosphere.

Plenty of previous times in our history this could be said? Just our expectations are higher and our disappointment with it.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Perhaps then you need to start watching and supporting a non-league club. Last weekend I watched Eastleigh play Alfreton in the Conference, in a ground that made Withdean look almost Wembley - like in comparison. You would have loved it - a tinny old P.A. system, a hut selling dodgy burgers that were more expensive than the Amex, the dreaded Port-a-loo and a crowd of 1,440.

My thoughts? Well, as I looked around the piece-meal ground I thought how lucky we Albion fans are to be in our shiny, new, state of the art, 30,000+ all-seater stadium. I also thought that but for the fortitude and perseverance of Albion fans twenty years ago that we too could have been playing in something similar or worse to Eastleigh's ground.

Bet that tiny ground with a small crowd had a soul......

el punal

We need a CEO who is a football man,choosing Barber over Gordon Smith has cost us 5 years or more at least.
Could see the way it was going when we went cold over the Van Dijk deal.
That's when I knew this club is not about football anymore but bean counters.
Really! I bet you wouldn't be saying that if we were challenging for promotion. It's just been a bad season on the pitch, that sort of thing happens in football.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We could be a big club. We have a huge catchment area and if we serve up the right football we will fill the stadium every week. At the moment we have come off the rails a little. I am confident that in time things will be great.

el punal

Bet that tiny ground with a small crowd had a soul......
So has the Amex, it just happens to have gone AWOL at the moment because of what's on offer on the pitch. Anyway, it's the fans that give the ground soul - remember the first game against Doncaster, THAT Burnley game and when we stuffed Palace 3-0. I'm sure that any fan at those matches would never say that the atmosphere was soulless.

This have been watching burgess hill this season £9 against £42 15 minutes against two and half hours traveling! no brainer! hillians next season for me!

el punal

This have been watching burgess hill this season £9 against £42 15 minutes against two and half hours traveling! no brainer! hillians next season for me!

Fair enough. But Brighton and Hove Albion is my club, always has been and always will be. I am proud of what they have had to overcome to be where they are today. So for me to make a round four hour journey every home match is a small sacrifice to pay for the enjoyment I get when watching them - even the ropey old games on offer at the moment. Despite the moans and groans about our current plight I'm proud to say that I'm still a loyal fan - through thick and thin. :albion2:

Jan 30, 2008
Vote with your feet and hit them where it hurts :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Wait till we're top of the Championship in a couple of years and you'll be back.
Well ok, maybe not you because you're be on Burgess Hills website chatting away I bet. :smile:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here