Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Revealed: former Bradford chairman linked to at least eight fires before Valley Parade

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The blaze that killed 56 football fans at Bradford City’s Valley Parade ground in 1985 was just one of at least nine fires at businesses owned by or associated with the club’s then chairman, according to extraordinary evidence published for the first time.

The revelations are contained in a book written by Martin Fletcher, a Bradford fan who lost three generations of his family in the stadium fire. Fletcher believes the fire was not an accident and says he and his family are no longer willing to “live the myth”.

The book, serialised by the Guardian today and tomorrow, reveals there had been at least eight other fires at business premises either owned by, or connected to, Stafford Heginbotham, Bradford’s then-chairman, in the previous 18 years, resulting in huge insurance claims. Fletcher does not make any direct allegations but he does believe Heginbotham’s history with fires, resulting in payouts of around £27m in today’s terms, warranted further investigation. “Could any man really be as unlucky as Heginbotham had been?” he asks.

The disaster at Valley Parade came at a time, according to Fletcher’s evidence, when the businessman was in desperate financial trouble, unable to pay his workforce beyond that month. Heginbotham had learned two days before the fire it would cost £2m to bring the ground up to safety standards required by Bradford’s promotion from the old Third Division that season. Yet this has never been reported and did not feature in the Popplewell Inquiry, chaired by the then high court judge Oliver Popplewell, which held its investigation only three weeks after the fire.

Link to full story http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/bradford-fire-stafford-heginbotham-martin-fletcher

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
OMG, how has that not come up before?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I was on a ferry between Gib and Tangiers, and met some Bradford fans on the day it happened. I had just heard on the news. Poor feckers were desperate to get ashore to contact people at home. Terrible.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Shocking. I watched the disaster on youtube a few months back. It really touched me more than i was expecting. I'd never seen the disaster before.

Such hell on such a nice occasion. I really hope it wasn't down to arson.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Amazed the insurance companies paid out. If someone claimed for lost luggage every couple of years, the claims investigators would be on the case in no time. But this geezer puts in large claims every few years and gets them settled without demur

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Amazed the insurance companies paid out. If someone claimed for lost luggage every couple of years, the claims investigators would be on the case in no time. But this geezer puts in large claims every few years and gets them settled without demur

Very this. surely the insurance companies would have smelled a high-profile rat?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Surely if you were going to burn down a stand you wouldn't do it during a f**king football match when it's full of people?!?

The south stand at the Goldstone had the good grace to burn down after a match, when empty.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Different company names, different holding companies, different registed addresses different directors signing off the insurance. Vary the insurers, very basic computerised systems, be part of the right golf club and a mason and a member of the local conservative association, appear at a lot of charity events. At that time I'm pretty sure it would be pretty easy to cover your tracks, any sign of trouble a few words in the right ears and everythings swept under the carpet.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Surely if you were going to burn down a stand you wouldn't do it during a f**king football match when it's full of people?!?

The south stand at the Goldstone had the good grace to burn down after a match, when empty.

That was my first thought, but perhaps you set the stage beforehand, with a pre-planned starting point, which you can easily trigger after the game. As I remember it, the South Stand burnt down shortly after the final home game of a season. Convenient for us, and made to look like a discarded fag butt etc.

So maybe the plan was to set it alight shortly after the game, but not having enough time to set up some combustibles under the stand after the final whistle, it was put there beforehand, and it was sheer bad luck that a lighted cigarette, found it's way through the stand and landed on exactly the spot, and began the fire a couple of hours early.

Absolutely horrific if found to be the case. The Bradford fire was one of the most horrific events I remember. Plane crashes, train crashes, football violence, or accidents .... It's the Bradford fire that is right up there with Hillsborough as a trauma that remains vividly etched in my mind.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
That was an awful, awful tragedy.

We left the Goldstone that afternoon about 5pm and they said on the radio that there was a fire but that no-one was injured.
By the time we got home and saw the news we were horrified at what we saw.

As someone else has said, how has it taken 30 years?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

I thought exactly the same: Sunday morning at 6am seems the preferred time for insurance scam-related fires, surely.

Plus it was noticed long before that tragic day in 1985 that loads of litter had accumulated in the gap under the main stand literally for decades. And that's what caught flame.

None of which of course means he couldn't also be a complete wrong un, I suppose.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought exactly the same: Sunday morning at 6am seems the preferred time for insurance scam-related fires, surely.

Plus it was noticed long before that tragic day in 1985 that loads of litter had accumulated in the gap under the main stand literally for decades. And that's what caught flame.

None of which of course means he couldn't also be a complete wrong un, I suppose.

You'd have to a right c**t to set a fire on purpose under a stand full of people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here