Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World travel question

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A broad question but I'm travelling the world next year starting in Jan and spending until Sept travelling. Outside of work I'm not very well travelled and want to do the big one before I bit 40 and settle down to start my own business as I'll have no spare time then. I'm at the planning stage now and I have places I want to see but If you could recommend 1 place to visit where would it be and why?
Be it one activity or place you saw or a whole country.

Cheers

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm going to suggest two places I have never been as I suspect you're going to get all kinds of differing opinions on places so I'll just share two places I would love to visit.

Italy and Machu Pichu.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Granada (Spain) is my favourite so far. Not that exotic but the (free) Tapas culture there is amazing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Vietnam, amazing country with fantastic scenery, lots of history and really nice people :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A broad question but I'm travelling the world next year starting in Jan and spending until Sept travelling. Outside of work I'm not very well travelled and want to do the big one before I bit 40 and settle down to start my own business as I'll have no spare time then. I'm at the planning stage now and I have places I want to see but If you could recommend 1 place to visit where would it be and why?
Be it one activity or place you saw or a whole country.

Cheers

Byron Bay, NSW. Most easterly point on the Australian Mainland. More surfing beaches than you can shake a stick at. Pods of dolphins ten metres from the shore, the odd offshore shark. Time it right and you got whale migrations also. Fantastic alternative Brightonesque hippy capitalist community. Fly into Sydney (one hour cheapo internal flight to Byron) with a stopover in Singapore on the way out and another stopover in Bangkok on the way back. As a first time Big One, it'll change your worldview forever. If you're a bit nervous about the flight/accomodation/transfer stuff, Trailfinders ihghly knowledgeable staff in Brighton will sort you out with vouchers for every damn thing at a very reasonable price.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Victoria Falls - The smoke that thunders

From Zimbabwe or Zambia

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cuba as an amazing country but specifically I would recomend a visit to Havana. A city that has not been developed much since ~1950s with vintage cars, great architecture and a laid back lifestyle. Cuba overall is very underdeveloped and I would recomdnd going before the US sanctions are lifted and the country becomes another Cancun type place with high rise hotels.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I have been to around 60-65 countries worldwide, some of them many times over. I took the kids out of school 8 years ago and travelled round India and South East Asia for 7 months.

My advice would be to stick to a particular area. My son finished uni last June and is currently travelling South America. Some of the things he's done and seen have been amazing including as someone said Machu Pichu. He started off in Brazil then on to Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru and is now in Cartagena Colombia, he's off to Equador next and will be flying home in June.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Taiwan, a giant amazing **** you to China. But seriously. Mountains, Beautiful coastline, Bicycle mad, great English, Beautiful culture, fascinating people. Most importantly easily the nicest people I met in my 5 years of travels. Byron Bay is great starting point for a new traveller as is a huge source of travel experiences in a english speaking country.

Byron Bay, NSW. Most easterly point on the Australian Mainland. More surfing beaches than you can shake a stick at. Pods of dolphins ten metres from the shore, the odd offshore shark. Time it right and you got whale migrations also. Fantastic alternative Brightonesque hippy capitalist community. Fly into Sydney (one hour cheapo internal flight to Byron) with a stopover in Singapore on the way out and another stopover in Bangkok on the way back. As a first time Big One, it'll change your worldview forever. If you're a bit nervous about the flight/accomodation/transfer stuff, Trailfinders ihghly knowledgeable staff in Brighton will sort you out with vouchers for every damn thing at a very reasonable price.

Do you want to be a tourist or a traveller? I reckon a traveller will spend some time in Papua New Guinea - and not just in Port Moresby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here