Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good to see 2 black mangers on the sidelines

theboybilly

And a black linesman

Black and Ethnic Minorities are disgracefully under represented in football and it needs to change

Do you really think so? Maybe at Manager/Head Coach level but certainly not at player level. I'm not too sure minorities go in for running the line or reffing as I've never seen many at junior level so it's hardly surprising they're not coming through to senior level in numbers

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
And a black linesman

Black and Ethnic Minorities are disgracefully under represented in football and it needs to change

Does it?

In that case what is the percentage of black British players in the professional game in the Premiership and Championship?

What is the percentage of non British players in the professional game in the Premiership and Championship?

What is the percentage of white British players in the professional game in the Premiership and Championship?

Do these percentage tally in with the population of the UK, or is one group or the other over represented, or under represented?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
3% of the uk population are black.

4.3% of managers in the premier and football league are black.

Why do we need more black managers? If you want racial equality, stop making race such an issue.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
"Does it?"?!

WTF??

Well a quick search and this data is from 2009

11-Oct-2008 England 5 Kazakhstan 1 [0-0] The National Stadium, Wembley, London WCP 8/14 57.14
Notes David James, Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Theo Walcott and Emile Heskey all started. Shaun Wright-Phillips was a half-time minute substitute. Walcott was replaced after 79 minutes, before Jermain Defoe came on after an 87 minutes.
867 10-Sep-2008 Croatia 1 England 4 [0-1] Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb WCP 7/14 50.0
Notes David James, Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Theo Walcott and Emile Heskey all started. Jermaine Jenas was a 56th minute substitute. Walcott scored a hat-trick, before coming off after 85 minutes.
866 06-Sep-2008 Andorra 0 England 2 [0-0] Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys, Montjuïc, Barcelona, Spain WCP 7/14 50.0
Notes David James, Glen Johnson, Ashley Cole, Joleon Lescott, Theo Walcott and Jermain Defoe all started. Emile Heskey replaced Defoe as a half-time substitute.

So, 50% of the England team were coloured or of mixed race.

Considering in 2011 according to wikipedia, 87% of the UK is made up of white people, and 5% are black or mixed raced, I would say the England side was over represented by black players, and white players are under represented. Do I find this a disgrace as the OP does in the case of black managers and officials, not at all. Why, because I am not racist and if 50% of the England team are black, so what, if they are the best, then who cares.

Why is there so few black managers, well if the wikipedia stats are correct I'd say there's not, and that its about right.

Chris Hughton, Chris Powell, John Barnes and Paul Ince all prove the point, if you are good enough, you will succeed, if you are no good and a poor manager, ala Paul Ince, or John "Lets play the race card" Barnes you won't.

So if the OP thinks its a disgrace that at the moment there are four black managers in the UK leagues, out of 92 clubs which is about 4%, yet according the wikipedia 5% of the British population are black or mixed race, we are 1% short of having a fair ratio.

So what does the OP think of the 2008 stats that 50% of England footballers were black or mixed race, yet 87% of the Uk population is white? A 37% difference? Is he disgusted that white British people are so heavily under represented in the national side, or is he like me, and doesn't give a flying ****, so long as they are the best available, whether they are white, black, green, orange, or purple??

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'm rather proud we have a black manager but given the choice I would have Chris Powell of the two on show tonight

I couldn't give a flying **** what colour our manager is. But then I don't judge people on the colour of their skin. But I won't be proud of him until next season until he proves himself a good Brighton manager.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I couldn't give a monkeys what colour the manager, the ref or the bloody car park attendant is, if they're good at their job then that's all that counts. Why should race be an issue? Should we be giving jobs to people based purely on the colour of their skin? No. Positive discrimination is a risky business. Ability discrimination....that's where it's at for me.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just a shame ours is so shite. Or does that make me a racist?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Well a quick search and this data is from 2009

11-Oct-2008 England 5 Kazakhstan 1 [0-0] The National Stadium, Wembley, London WCP 8/14 57.14
Notes David James, Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Theo Walcott and Emile Heskey all started. Shaun Wright-Phillips was a half-time minute substitute. Walcott was replaced after 79 minutes, before Jermain Defoe came on after an 87 minutes.
867 10-Sep-2008 Croatia 1 England 4 [0-1] Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb WCP 7/14 50.0
Notes David James, Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Theo Walcott and Emile Heskey all started. Jermaine Jenas was a 56th minute substitute. Walcott scored a hat-trick, before coming off after 85 minutes.
866 06-Sep-2008 Andorra 0 England 2 [0-0] Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys, Montjuïc, Barcelona, Spain WCP 7/14 50.0
Notes David James, Glen Johnson, Ashley Cole, Joleon Lescott, Theo Walcott and Jermain Defoe all started. Emile Heskey replaced Defoe as a half-time substitute.

So, 50% of the England team were coloured or of mixed race.

Considering in 2011 according to wikipedia, 87 of the UK is made up of white people, and 5% are black or mixed raced, I would say the England side was over represented by black players, and white players are under represented. Do I find this a disgrace as the OP does in the case of black managers and officials, not at all. Why, because I am not racist and if 50% of the England team are black, so what, if they are the best, then who cares.

Why is there so few black managers, well if the wikipedia stats are correct I'd say its about right.

Chris Hughton, Chris Powell and Paul Ince all prove the point, if you are good enough, you will suceed, if you are no good and a poor manager, ala Paul Ince, you won't.

So if the OP thinks its a disgrace that at the moment there are four black managers in the UK leagues, out of 92 clubs which is about 4%, yet according the wikipedia 5% of the British population are black or mixed race, we are 1% short of having a fair ratio.

So what does the OP think of the 2008 stats that 50% of England footballers were black or mixed race, yet 87% of the Uk population is white? A 37% difference? Is he disgusted that white British people are so heavily under represented in the national side, or is he like me, and doesn't give a flying ****, so long as they are the best available, whether they are white, black, green, orange, or purple??

Spot on.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Slightly off subject but, does anyone think Jake Livermore shares strong similarities to Hughton in appearance?

JakeLivermore.jpg

could do a job?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And a black linesman

Just give managerial jobs to whoever is best, we don't need social Engineering BS. Do we need more 100m white athletic sprinters?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
And a black linesman

I agree with most other posts....Blacks are well represented in football.. Generaly they tend to be quick..We however have one glaring exception !!!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The OP is spot on and the LMA are so concerned they have ordered all managers to black up for the last game of the season.
Here is Steve Evans in a publicity shot:

big_mommas_like_father_like_son_44579-1440x900.jpg

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Thankfully Chris Hughton doesn't share some of the views on this thread...

Chris Hughton is delighted to be back in management not only from a football perspective but also as standard bearer for black managers wanting to get into the game. Last spring when he was at Norwich he spoke of his disappointment that the number of black and ethnic minority coaches had dwindled – from five across the Premier League, Football League and Conference Premier at the beginning of the 2013-14 season to only him. He lost his job shortly afterwards.

Now back in the game at Brighton & Hove Albion, he is keen to promote the sense of possibility. “I’m always conscious of that and it’s something I’m very proud to do. When you speak to potential black and ethnic coaches who want to go into the game, one aspect that they always speak about are role models. They would like to see representation, more at a higher level. And any part I can play in that I am delighted to do.”

Hughton suggests there is a growing will to see a positive change. “At this moment I see a real enthusiasm from the stakeholders – the PFA, certainly, the FA and the LMA – to address some of the imbalances. And certainly in the area of education I think we’re seeing an upturn in the number of black and ethnic coaches wanting to participate in courses and that’s certainly a way to go.”
While he calls for transparency in the interview process, he is not convinced the Rooney Rule that requires teams in America to interview minority candidates is the way to go. “If we can change that without legislation, that’s the best way.”
via http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/24/chris-hughton-brighton-black-managers-coaches

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Its actually a great time to be a black man trying to progress on the coaching or officiating route, to the point that at some point perhaps a white contender might be discriminated against his black rival.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here