Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Percy Sledge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I first heard that song when I was just a spotty teenager and Johnny Walker used to play it late at night whilst asking lovers sitting in their cars to flash their lights at Radio Caroline ( Mi Amigo?) moored in the channel. I think he read out messages from the lovelorn at the same time Silly things you remember connected to songs. Radio Caroline was pretty well the only radio station I listened to in those days, as I'd given up on the fading in and out Radio Luxembourg. Happy days.

RIP Percy

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
brings back great memories
the saddest news this
RIP Percy

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'd not heard the song before it was featured on the Levi's (I think?) advert but liked it a lot - great intro and that rich voice. RIP Percy.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I first heard that song when I was just a spotty teenager and Johnny Walker used to play it late at night whilst asking lovers sitting in their cars to flash their lights at Radio Caroline ( Mi Amigo?) moored in the channel. I think he read out messages from the lovelorn at the same time Silly things you remember connected to songs. Radio Caroline was pretty well the only radio station I listened to in those days, as I'd given up on the fading in and out Radio Luxembourg. Happy days.

RIP Percy

That 'kiss and cuddle' song was actually 'Warm and Tender Love'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He gave the writing credits to WAMLAW to his backing vocalists.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

RIP Percy

Johnnies Walker / Percy Sledge / When a man loves a Woman
Wonderful memories - RIP Percy, one of the greats - and pride of place on my Juke Box. :cool:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Johnnies Walker / Percy Sledge / When a man loves a Woman
Wonderful memories - RIP Percy, one of the greats - and pride of place on my Juke Box. :cool:

Oops typo!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
He was unwittingly and most likely unknowingly responsible for giving the cricketing world the term "sledging".
England were touring NZ back in 1966 for 3 Test Series and one of the poms was found to have slept with a wife of a Kiwi player.
Whenever he came out to bat the Kiwis would serenade him with, "When a Man Loves a Woman" - hence the term, "sledging".
Fairly tame really - would barely qualify as a sledge nowadays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here