Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Fantastic vote winner!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Green Party may ban horse and greyhound racing..... I can really see this as being a vote winner and having the Greens keep in touch with the electorate .

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Green Party may ban horse and greyhound racing..... I can really see this as being a vote winner and having the Greens keep in touch with the electorate .

I'm surprised it took so long to appear......

So a bit of clarification...

Official Policy:

The Green Party will end the exploitation of animals in horse racing, greyhound racing and all situations where animals are commercially raced. There would be an immediate ban on the use of the whip in horse racing and in jumps racing, and on the use of a non-linear track in greyhound racing'

The key word is 'exploitation'.

Further clarification from The Guardian:

David Mclean, who is standing for the Wales Green Party in Newport East, said that, if such a review were to take place, he would “expect that recommendations would be only to take further steps to improve welfare and safety”. He said: “To suggest a ban of horse racing, the Grand National, or greyhound racing, or even to table a possibility of a ban is, to my mind, ridiculous and inconceivable.These are ancient sports rich in heritage and very popular. The Green party isn’t about stopping people enjoying these sports. Far from it. It’s about reducing or removing negative impacts where they exist and improving enjoyment for everyone, including animals where they participate.”

In short, animal welfare issues are the priority, as opposed to complete bans, which would never happen. Believe it or not, a lot of Green Party members like racing-including me.

The main question for me is why The Argus sought to make it a front page headline. Why don't they just put 'Vote Labour' and be done with it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In fairness to the loons they have not said they will ban either.

They want to do away with the whip and greyhounds would not be able to race around corners.

Far more worrying is the large levy they want to introduce on all betting.

Policy AR426

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/ar.html

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What was on R4 early doors and may have even been C/L talking the Grand National was mentioned,however where for me and many others i sense is general farm animal movements,this was not for breeding but more of Farmer Smith in Barrow selling and moving 25 sheep to Farmer Brown Colchester. Why ?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
What was on R4 early doors and may have even been C/L talking the Grand National was mentioned,however where for me and many others i sense is general farm animal movements,this was not for breeding but more of Farmer Smith in Barrow selling and moving 25 sheep to Farmer Brown Colchester. Why ?

You what? Time to lay off the LSD?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Horse racing in particular SHOULD be banned. It's bloody cruel at times.

Oh do grow up you sanctimonious twit,Horse racing in this country in highly regulated and monitored,much more so than many other countries worldwide.The vast majority of regulated owners,trainers,jockeys and stable hands in this country adore the animals in their charge and would be repulsed at any form of cruelty.
If you want to concentrate on cruelty, support the ban and clampdown on all sulky racing carried out by travellers in this country,massively unregulated this racing on tarmac and concrete highways usually by young horses leaves severe damage on their joints and leaves the animal in severe pain forever.The ISPCA has said it is pure animal abuse.

I see you are a Green Party voter,if you are so passionate about cruelty to horses why not go along to the next policy meeting and ask for a democratic vote(the greens are big on that) on targeting travellers and their blatant abuse toward horses.

Somehow i dont think this would fit in with the hypocritical agenda of you or the greens

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here