Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

holiday hotel wifi rip off

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just returned from 1 weeks holiday. The hotel advertise free wifi, which it was in the bar for 30 mins unsecured. Secured was available €10 for 5 days €30 for 1 month. There for a week so paid for 10 days €20 which was ok.BUT it only covered 1 appliance. I had phone and tablet so did wife, granddaughter had a tablet so total 5 appliances. Most people in the 21st century have similar. Bars, McDonalds etc offer free wifi for unlimited appliances. Why should hotels not offer the same other than to make extra money and rip off the residents.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'd agree with you, BG. Having said that, it is very much up to the hotels to choose their own policy. If they're still getting a high level of bookings and decent revenue from charging for WIFI, then it's not really in their immediate commercial interests to make it free.

Playing devil's advocate, would you have been happy to pay more for your accomodation if it included free WIFI in the rooms?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The days when hotels should charge for wifi are OVER. I usually
piggyback another nearby hotel which is free and refuse to pay or even stay
in a hotel which charges........

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just returned from 1 weeks holiday. The hotel advertise free wifi, which it was in the bar for 30 mins unsecured. Secured was available €10 for 5 days €30 for 1 month. There for a week so paid for 10 days €20 which was ok.BUT it only covered 1 appliance. I had phone and tablet so did wife, granddaughter had a tablet so total 5 appliances. Most people in the 21st century have similar. Bars, McDonalds etc offer free wifi for unlimited appliances. Why should hotels not offer the same other than to make extra money and rip off the residents.

anybody-have-any-plans-to-stare-at-their-phones.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you've got a great deal and cheap price on the hotel - you can't really complain. Does 20eu take it out of the price of other comparative examples?

In my experience, places that are a little more pricey tend to offer it for free, but then again, you're paying more for the hotel.

No different really to budget airlines omitting luggage charges, seat allocations etc. from their standard prices.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can you not use one as a hub for the others

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
WiFi is just the new service that hotels can take this mickey with, once upon a time it was the telephone in the room, they soon won't even have them in the room soon.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
WiFi is an important part of booking a hotel. Two similar hotels I'd go for the one with free wifi. BUT I've booked a hotel with free wifi through out the complex this summer, including the pool. That, I think, is going to be too much with Wife on tablet all day.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
When I go on holiday the last thing I worry about is my phone or tablet. For 2 weeks of the year I'm delighted to get away from the damn things. If I really need to make a call I'd use the phone at the hotel I was staying. If you can't go away without your devices why go on holiday at all!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Maybe they like Stockdale, and wanted to limit your moaning.

BUT I've booked a hotel with free wifi through out the complex this summer, including the pool.
Have you waterproofed your phone, tablet, etc?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Tend to check this before I book, as it avoids having to moan about it afterwards. Just something to consider within the overall cost.

Where it's limited to one device, usual option is to sign out, then log in from the other one with the same details. Works with most hotel pay as you go setups. 10 EUR for 5 days is bloody cheap for charged hotel wifi in my experience.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I agree that it's a pain in the backside, when staying elsewhere due to work I've been put in hotels where it's £15 a night (ha, no.). That said, they do tend to be the budget side of work hotels.

It's something I look for when booking for a holiday but to be honest I don't really want to spend much of it on phone/tablet.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Outlets like Macdonalds use free wifi to attract customers hotels treat it as an extra.

And to be fair to both types of business, the WIFI setup in a generally square and small McDs is very cheap whilst getting decent coverage in many hotels is actually quite difficult and expensive. The two aren't really decent comparisons ( says he who helped roll out the McDs UK WIFI ).

When I go on holiday the last thing I worry about is my phone or tablet. For 2 weeks of the year I'm delighted to get away from the damn things. If I really need to make a call I'd use the phone at the hotel I was staying. If you can't go away without your devices why go on holiday at all!

Couldn't agree more - the place I go in France is great partly because of the lack of TV, phone signal and gadgets ..... bliss !!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Totally agree, old fashioned maybe but seeing people glued to their various devices and some just cannot live without it I find pathetic. Never take them on holiday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here