Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vinyl records get into groove with own charts

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"In 2007, as the ascent of digital music continued, scratchy, unportable records seemed to be spinning into oblivion, accounting for 0.1% of UK album sales – equating to just 205,000 LPs.

But eight years on, a vinyl revival appears to be complete with the announcement of official weekly charts dedicated to the format that will count down the top 40 best-selling singles (including both 7in and 12in formats) and albums.

In a remarkable turnaround, sales have surged in recent years to the point where album sales this year could hit 10 times the numbers at the end of the noughties, prompting recognition from the Official Charts Company. Singles sales are also up, by around a quarter over the same period last year."

Has anyone else bought a vinyl recently ? And there are a couple good vinyl shops in Brighton!

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I bought two vinyl Lps last week
Public service broadcasting -The race for space.
And
Temples restructured by beyond the wizards sleeve
Both very good i deed and both came with a download voucher which i gave to a mate
Vinyl.everytime for me.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Treat yourselves to Terraplane by Steve Earle. The band is in great form, plenty of variations and interpretations of country blues for Steve's break up album from umpteenth wife Alyson Moorer. And a damn fine album cover to grace any vinyl collection.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I buy a couple of slabs a month, and as many have pointed out, they also come with a digital download. I still don't have a record player though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Lots of vinyl at Brighton Record Fair. Once a month at Brighton Centre. Next one Sunday 10th May.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
I've used Resident for the last couple of years but over the last three months I have found them very pompous and up themselves. I use Musics Not Dead in Bexhill now and, if not available there, Amazon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've used Resident for the last couple of years but over the last three months I have found them very pompous and up themselves. I use Musics Not Dead in Bexhill now and, if not available there, Amazon.

It's an okay shop but a bit too Americana and folky for me. Rounder was better for my tastes.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Love vinyl, HMV had just started stocking it in Horsham before they closed down so I'm going to have to go a bit further afield for new releases.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can get unbelievable value on eBay if you look long and hard enough. And charity shops but you have to sift through SO much rubbish. Picked up Beatles albums in charity shops for £1-3 and passed them on on eBay for £20+.

Sadly a lot of albums I loved from around 2000-2008 weren't pressed to vinyl as sales were so low.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here