Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] West Indies v England - First Test

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Windies won the toss and bowl.

Trott returns for England, as does Stokes and oddly Tredwell (even though he cannot get a games for Kent);

Cricket/
W Indies Team

D S Smith
Brathwaite
D M Bravo
M N Samuels
S Chanderpaul
J. Blackwood
D Ramdin
J Holder
J E Taylor
K A J Roach
S J Benn

Cricket/
England Team

A N Cook
I J L Trott
G S Ballance
I R Bell
J E Root
B.A. Stokes
J.C. Buttler
C J Jordan
S C J Broad
J C Tredwell
J M Anderson

Don't see the point in playing Trott. Even if he plunders (not that he ever plunders - perhaps accumulates is a better word!) a load of runs against a pretty shocking Windies team, it won't tell us anything about his suitability to face up to Boult, Johnson, Starc and co over the summer. He's also being played out of position. Would much rather Lyth played.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A brave new world. Lessons have clearly been learnt, looking to the future...

Or not. Trott why? Tredwell why? Stokes fair enough. If I am Lyth or Rashid I would be mightily pissed off.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Trott and Cook is a run out waiting to happen. I hope the Trott thing works out but as has already been said there's reservations.

Tredwell is a pityful selection, it tells you everything you need to know about the conservatism at the heart of English cricket.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Trott is in form though, a duck and 2 in the St Kitts and Nevis charade :nono:

Hope the Windies smash us, so we can sack the whole management from top to bottom.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I predicted a duck for Trott and 14 for Cook. The first one has come in, I'm confident on the second.

A brave new world. Lessons have clearly been learnt, looking to the future...

Or not. Trott why? Tredwell why? Stokes fair enough. If I am Lyth or Rashid I would be mightily pissed off.

Is Rashid up to it? From what I read he bowled a lot of pies in the warm up. I agree that Tredwell is a damning indictment, and if there's nothing better than him then perhaps Rashid at 7 and as a 5th bowler isn't so bad, but I'd have liked to see them take a younger spinner for a bit of experience in the absence of Ali. I suppose the fact that the chairman of selectors, coach and captain all have their jobs on the line has probably factored into their thinking, to be fair they can't exactly plan for the long term at the moment given the noises made by Graves!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What we need is more yorshiremen.....rashid would have been a shoe in as he can bat a million times better than tredwell.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Regarding Tredwell it is stupid, however Ali should be back for the second test so it is a stop gap.

So why play someone who you know? Why not find something out about someone different? Someone who scored more runs than anyone else in the Championship last year. Trott is not an opener, he has had his chance and is 33.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here