Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour to scrap A27 upgrades

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
From the BBC website:

Ed Miliband has said Labour will "change the way the country is run and who it is run for" as he launched the party's election manifesto...The manifesto sets out Labour's main policy pledges, including:

◾A one-year freeze in rail fares, paid for by delays in upgrades to A27 and A358 roads.

What he's talking about is the government's promise as reported on 1st December 2014 that major improvements to the A27 and several other busy commuter routes in the south would be made. The works include more than 80 new road schemes and the government outlined how it would spend an already-promised £15 billion on English motorway and trunk routes over the next five years.

The package pledges £350 million of improvements to the A27 along the south coast, tackling severe congestion at Arundel, Worthing and Lewes.

Labour halted the Arundel by-pass work in 1997 and rejected resuming it in 2003. The A27 will therefore remain "as is" under a Labour government, despite the fact loads of new housing development are being built, bringing increasing traffic to the dual carriageway.

For those people who think all parties are the same and politics doesn't matter here is a prime example that disproves that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is the meat on the bones of their noble "triple lock, fully funded manifesto". something else is going to be cut for every promise. its the same policy as the Tories, just different cuts in different areas. growth of both halfs of Sussex are ham strung by poor roads, but Labour wouldn't care as its Tory/Liberal seats they have little interest in helping.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
At last a policy I can relate to and vote accordingly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to know what Labour voters in Brighton and Worthing who use the A27 every day think about this.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
From the BBC website:

Ed Miliband has said Labour will "change the way the country is run and who it is run for" as he launched the party's election manifesto...The manifesto sets out Labour's main policy pledges, including:

◾A one-year freeze in rail fares, paid for by delays in upgrades to A27 and A358 roads.

What he's talking about is the government's promise as reported on 1st December 2014 that major improvements to the A27 and several other busy commuter routes in the south would be made. The works include more than 80 new road schemes and the government outlined how it would spend an already-promised £15 billion on English motorway and trunk routes over the next five years.

The package pledges £350 million of improvements to the A27 along the south coast, tackling severe congestion at Arundel, Worthing and Lewes.

Labour halted the Arundel by-pass work in 1997 and rejected resuming it in 2003. The A27 will therefore remain "as is" under a Labour government, despite the fact loads of new housing development are being built, bringing increasing traffic to the dual carriageway.

For those people who think all parties are the same and politics doesn't matter here is a prime example that disproves that.

So, one of the most necessary road improvement schemes in the country, in a county that has some of the most overloaded roads is not high on Labour's list of requirements? As the article shows, Labour will never give the green light to this. I guess they really don't give a toss about areas where there's no real chance of returning a labour MP. (Which equally applies to all parties).

Yoda

English & European
To be honest, what was being planned wouldn't make a blind bit of difference imo. Just "improvements" to junctions that would have little impact, when it needs bypassing with new roads.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Last week the Labour candidate molested my wife and started to beat up my son. Fortunately I got home in time and with the assistance of the Tory candidate we were able to rescue my son and wife. The Labour candidate ran away cursing and swearing, threatening to get us next time. Unfortunately he escaped because me and the Tory candidate had to rescue some children from drowning in a golfing lake. The Lib Dem candidate just sat on the fence and watched. FACT

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Dont understand the obsession with rail when 92% of journeys are by road.Switching from road to rail isnt the answer as just 2% cross over would need a 25% increase in capacity at massive cost.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The coalition launched their Report "The Northern Powerhouse: One Agenda, One Economy, One North" on 20th March 2015, 45 pages on the gov.uk website setting out a comprehensive plan to improve transport and business links in the North.

The contrast with Labour's indefinite parking of the A27 upgrades in Tory / Lib Dem Sussex could not be more stark.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What a ****ing shit policy!

The coalition launched their Report "The Northern Powerhouse: One Agenda, One Economy, One North" on 20th March 2015, 45 pages on the gov.uk website setting out a comprehensive plan to improve transport and business links in the North.

The contrast with Labour's indefinite parking of the A27 upgrades in Tory / Lib Dem Sussex could not be more stark.

Eh? Surely they're the same? Both prioritizing the north, where transport links are already better?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In my own very simple way I have often thought about the billions of pounds that obviously get spent on road "improvements" and whether they would be quite a good place to start in terms of saving some money by having a few years where they were put on hold...

Yoda

English & European

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here