Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion midfield engine room duo were better than top of the table Bournemouth's equivalent

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is an incredible fact given that so many on here were watching one of the worst Brighton performances they can remember.

In addition to Beram Kayal and Dale Stephens' general excellence can be added the sheer pleasure offered by the Bruno/Calde/Teixeira "Triangle of Touch" as positive features...

For wider context, the rest of our squad (from Stockdale to Carayol) comprises individuals that are in the best 5% of Albion players to wear the shirt over the past 30 years...!

The extreme negativity about our players after a short run of defeats is laughable.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is an incredible fact given that so many on here were watching one of the worst Brighton performances they can remember.

In addition to Beram Kayal and Dale Stephens' general excellence can be added the sheer pleasure offered by the Bruno/Calde/Teixeira "Triangle of Touch" as positive features...

For wider context, the rest of our squad (from Stockdale to Carayol) comprises individuals that are in the best 5% of Albion players to wear the shirt over the past 30 years...!

The extreme negativity about our players after a short run of defeats is laughable.
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I watched on telly and we really controlled the midfield until Kayal went off. For those who didn't watch on telly, the Sky commentator's words after the first half were something along the lines of 'Stephens has run the show for Brighton this half'.

We most definitely have played worse this season (and probably won or drawn some of those games).

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
This I agree with.
Kayal and Stephens with either Tex or Ince is as good as any midfield in this league.
Difference between us and most other teams is they can score.
Bouremouth had 4 players in double figures and 6 players playing that have scored more than our top scorer which is our bloody CB.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This I agree with.
Kayal and Stephens with either Tex or Ince is as good as any midfield in this league.
Bouremouth had 4 players in double figures and 6 players playing that have scored more than our top scorer which is our bloody CB.

Yep. THIS.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This I agree with.

See, this is my issue with the "squad needs a massive overhaul" belief. Our midfield really is excellent. Add a good striker and the perception of the entire team changes.

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
I am also in the positive camp

Until they scored we were good value, and if (big if) we had been able to take one of the chances we created early in the second half it could have been a positive result

I thought our midfield, in particular Kayal and Stephens, were excellent. Their first goal came from the first time we allowed them to run at us, resulting in a free kick....a couple of minutes after Kayal had gone off injured

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Far from the worse performance. We actually played well. The difference between the two sides was finishing. (BBC mentioned on Saturday night that Bournemouth scored with their first attempt).

It was a far better performance than our home game against Wigan.... which we won!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yup, that's what I thought. This "Bournemouth did not turn up" line trotted out is because our midfield did not let them, until Kayal went off that is.

If they get promoted, that Bournemouth team is going to be seriously overhauled so I reckon we need to grab anyone we can from it. We do not need a "Premier League ready" team we need a "lets get promoted" team. Easier said than done of course.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Nice to have a positive thread. Football has fine lines. One lucky bounce can change a game. Until 70 minutes we did ok.
Bournemouth will be hammered next season if they go up. Only a couple of there players really impressed me. What I did notice though that when they attacked they moved forward with pace.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The one place that does not need much doing to it in the close season is the midfield, we are in good shape there.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Ah, I'm glad this has come up. I thought Stephens and Kayal were brilliant on Friday and I suggested this to BBC Sussex after the game, I also said the game changed when Kayal departed, Virgo was having none of it???

I'd also like to add that most reports I've read said Bournemouth won despite not getting out of first gear, it wasn't so much that as we didn't allow them to until Kayal went off and we lost our shape.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ah, I'm glad this has come up. I thought Stephens and Kayal were brilliant on Friday and I suggested this BBC Sussex after the game, I also said the game changed when Kayal departed, Virgo was having none of it???

Kayal's departure was definitely the game changer. Ince wasn't ready (and had a bit of a mare).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
180's for show, doubles for dough?

That pretty much sums it up for me. I watched the game yesterday, just out of curiosity, and actually agree with some of the sentiment on here. The midfield were good, particularly when Kayal was on the pitch, however when the good scoring opportunities presented themselves; Stephens 2, Best 1; we blew it. If any of those had fallen to Calum Wilson he would have at the very least asked questions of the keeper, and probably would have scored.

We can be as ok as want in general play but we are sorely lacking in the penalty box and finishing department. 180's for show and doubles for dough indeed.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'll add to the general positivity. I've only seen the televised games and that was SO much better than the Millwall performance.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Yes at last the midfield is starting to look good but it won't mean a thing if the defence gives away goals like last Friday and the forwards don't score. The main problems of the last 4 seasons are still there, lack of goalscoring and an ageing defence. Will the suits really back CH to bring in the players needed?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry everyone and I do agree in terms of the fact that Kayal, Stephens and Ince are an exciting prospect next season, but in terms of the Bournemouth game, this apparent 'domination of midfield' needs to be tempered with how many chances we actually created from midfield, which was very few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here