Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Political Parties can you trust any of them.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

As Election approaches they all seem to be promising, to turn the economy round, reduce our debt,more money for NHS. Does anyone believe any of them..I don`t, but do feel we are better off with what we`ve got and DC is more plausible than EM although the idea of hung Parliament with one or more of the minor parties holding sway worries me...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As Election approaches they all seem to be promising, to turn the economy round, reduce our debt,more money for NHS. Does anyone believe any of them..I don`t, but do feel we are better off with what we`ve got and DC is more plausible than EM although the idea of hung Parliament with one or more of the minor parties holding sway worries me...

Out of interest, why do you trust the Tories more than labour?

Remember they promised no top down reorganisation of the NHS and it was one of the first things they did. If you know anyone who works in a hospital you will probably be aware that the service hasn't improved and that it is at breaking point.

They promised they would eliminate the deficit in one parliament, they didn't.

They said they would ensure we retained our triple A rating, we didn't.

They agreed with the Libdems to change the second house and then reneged on the deal ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19149212 ). Remember, this is the party that has been banging on about EM 'stabbing' his brother in the back just because he stood in a democratic leadership election!

You may well have other reasons why you support CMD over EM but surely trust is not one of them.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
They seem to patronise us and I don't like the way they deploy stock phrases they think will press our buttons. "NHS privatisation!" "Immigration!" Hard-working families!" "Brussels!"

Having said that, I was impressed by Nick Clegg's straightforward presentation yesterday about how he intended to save £27bn so No I don't think they are all the same.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Out of interest, why do you trust the Tories more than labour?

Remember they promised no top down reorganisation of the NHS and it was one of the first things they did. If you know anyone who works in a hospital you will probably be aware that the service hasn't improved and that it is at breaking point.

They promised they would eliminate the deficit in one parliament, they didn't.

They said they would ensure we retained our triple A rating, we didn't.

They agreed with the Libdems to change the second house and then reneged on the deal ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19149212 ). Remember, this is the party that has been banging on about EM 'stabbing' his brother in the back just because he stood in a democratic leadership election!

You may well have other reasons why you support CMD over EM but surely trust is not one of them.

why I trust the Tories more than labour

Mainly because they in my opinion have done better than Labour would have done and a change in direction now would be bad all round...However if Labour had been in power I would be more inclined to support them as it is mainly the change in direction I don`t like..Feeling that unless Government Dire(and some may think this one has been) more than five years is neccessary to implement and see benefit of major political descisions..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In short, no. I'm normally a labour voter but as I don't believe ANY party will do the country much good presently, for the first time I'm voting purely on principle and going Green. They are arguably good for Brighton and I agree with their policies and ethos. They haven't got a chance but as I say I'm voting on principle this time round.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
never trust anything or anybody other than yourself .........................then you only have one person to blame

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
They seem to patronise us and I don't like the way they deploy stock phrases they think will press our buttons. "NHS privatisation!" "Immigration!" Hard-working families!" "Brussels!"

Having said that, I was impressed by Nick Clegg's straightforward presentation yesterday about how he intended to save £27bn so No I don't think they are all the same.

I don't trust Nick Clegg, simply because he has single handedly destroyed his own parties credibility for his own personal ambitions. Though I will vote Lib Dem simply because they have the best candidate for the town (Eastbourne) IMO.
I trust Ed Miliband far more than David Cameron who now promises us the World if he's returned, but has given us bugger all to present. I can't judge the future, only the past.
And though I do trust Ed, I also once trusted Tony Blair :rolleyes:.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I trust Ed Miliband far more than David Cameron who now promises us the World if he's returned, but has given us bugger all to present. I can't judge the future, only the past.
And though I do trust Ed, I also once trusted Tony Blair :rolleyes:.
These are the comments that sadden me most about this election. The tories haven't given anything so far, as there has been buggar all to give! They have spent the past 5 years sorting out Labours mess.

I sort of wish Labour kept power last time, so for once they would have to sort out their own mess. Actually scrub that, I don't, as they would have carried on on the route they was and the country would be bankrupt, and spending cuts would now be out of control because there would be no money to spend, period.

But to answer the original question, no. You can't trust any of them, they will say whatever they think will win them power. But as I believe without a strong economy, you cannot help those less fortunate than yourself, for me Tory is the only choice, but that is the only reason I would vote blue over any of the other rabble.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
never trust anything or anybody other than yourself .........................then you only have one person to blame

Good philosophy. I'll add that, by a long long way, the single most responsible person for how your life pans out during the next 5 years, is you.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes,you can sometimes trust politicians.
You can trust Labour to screw the economy and spend taxpayers money willy nilly,whilst hugely increasing taxes along the way.
Without a strong economy, no Government can afford any of their promises.
I truly fear for business if Labour get in and I also worry about Milliband's ability to effectively represent this country's interest on the world stage.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
These are the comments that sadden me most about this election. The tories haven't given anything so far, as there has been buggar all to give! They have spent the past 5 years sorting out Labours mess.

I sort of wish Labour kept power last time, so for once they would have to sort out their own mess. Actually scrub that, I don't, as they would have carried on on the route they was and the country would be bankrupt, and spending cuts would now be out of control because there would be no money to spend, period.

But to answer the original question, no. You can't trust any of them, they will say whatever they think will win them power. But as I believe without a strong economy, you cannot help those less fortunate than yourself, for me Tory is the only choice, but that is the only reason I would vote blue over any of the other rabble.

This is what saddens me most. The tories have given things, they cut the top rate of tax. Now I know I didn't benefit from that but I'm sure there are some that have. As for this election, they have been banging on about more cuts, more control of benefit etc and what is their headline of the week, they are effectively increasing the threshold of IHT from £650,000 to £1,000,000. Which part of society is going to benefit from that bearing in mind the average house price in the UK is £272k and even in the south east the average price is £339k.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Fair enough, but personal responsibility for one's actions seems to be a distant memory for some.
Always trying to find a scapegoat or a Government (of any colour) to blame for their woes.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes,you can sometimes trust politicians.
You can trust Labour to screw the economy and spend taxpayers money willy nilly,whilst hugely increasing taxes along the way.
Without a strong economy, no Government can afford any of their promises.
I truly fear for business if Labour get in and I also worry about Milliband's ability to effectively represent this country's interest on the world stage.

Labours promise, remember that word PROMISE, to raise the minimum wage to £8.00 per hour by the end of next parliament. String it out as long as possible because they are shit scared of damaging businesses. Your post is right, Labour will fCK everything up.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
This is what saddens me most. The tories have given things, they cut the top rate of tax. Now I know I didn't benefit from that but I'm sure there are some that have. As for this election, they have been banging on about more cuts, more control of benefit etc and what is their headline of the week, they are effectively increasing the threshold of IHT from £650,000 to £1,000,000. Which part of society is going to benefit from that bearing in mind the average house price in the UK is £272k and even in the south east the average price is £339k.
Poor example Drew.

Why should people pay tax when they die? They pay it throughout their lives, the buy houses to live in with money that is already taxed, so why should people pay any inheritance tax at all?

My father lives in a house which he worked ****ing hard for, going without certain things to pay for it. As a kid my holiday memories was Butlins or the New Forest if we was lucky, we once went all the way down to Devon!!

He has a house worth close to 300k, (thanks to the price hikes seen under the last labour government) he now has savings. Why should that be taxed when he dies?

A family moved in the house round the corner on benefits. No offensive to them, they are a nice bunch, but have 3 kids and work to them is something they will not consider. They live on benefits, have the usual PS4 flat screens, smart phones, and just come back from a week in Disneyworld. THey will die and pay no tax on their savings, home, or anything, as they never have paid tax in the first place. THese people thrived under Labour, and are now suffering under the Tories.

Why should my father pay tax on his death, when these other people, living an easier life than him (for now) have never paid into the system will not.

It seems you like to punish the hard working who spend half a lifetime on the bread line paying taxes.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Poor example Drew.

Why should people pay tax when they die? They pay it throughout their lives, the buy houses to live in with money that is already taxed, so why should people pay any inheritance tax at all?

My father lives in a house which he worked ****ing hard for, going without certain things to pay for it. As a kid my holiday memories was Butlins or the New Forest if we was lucky, we once went all the way down to Devon!!

He has a house worth close to 300k, (thanks to the price hikes seen under the last labour government) he now has savings. Why should that be taxed when he dies?

A family moved in the house round the corner on benefits. No offensive to them, they are a nice bunch, but have 3 kids and work to them is something they will not consider. They live on benefits, have the usual PS4 flat screens, smart phones, and just come back from a week in Disneyworld. THey will die and pay no tax on their savings, home, or anything, as they never have paid tax in the first place. THese people thrived under Labour, and are now suffering under the Tories.

Why should my father pay tax on his death, when these other people, living an easier life than him (for now) have never paid into the system will not.

It seems you like to punish the hard working who spend half a lifetime on the bread line paying taxes.

and have to visit food banks because of the low wages they get while working hard

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
and have to visit food banks because of the low wages they get while working hard

[/B]
While undoubtedly some people need food banks, I think this is more of a left wing propaganda tool.

How many of these people truly need to use the banks. How many of these people who use them have big flat screen TVs, iphones, and other luxuries. What checks are made on people using them, that they actually need them, rather than use them because they can.

Besides, if you are earning such a low wages than you cannot afford to buy food, go and look for another job. Or are we still clinging to the myth there are no jobs out there? Go and learn a skill, and and better yourself, rather than just sit on your arse being looked after by everyone else.

Harsh, but IMO, only those who are young, old, and disabled should get free handouts of any kind.

Everyone else should be made to work for their supper, no matter how trivial the work is. For me I work hard to look after my family and myself. I pay taxes which are used to pay to help these in need. Not those who want to be looked after by the State, and then whine that the rich have things that they don't. Because to the left, anyone with their own house is rich and should be taxed for it!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It's dogshit man for me again I'm afraid. I haven't been visited by any of the others.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
While undoubtedly some people need food banks, I think this is more of a left wing propaganda tool.

How many of these people truly need to use the banks. How many of these people who use them have big flat screen TVs, iphones, and other luxuries. What checks are made on people using them, that they actually need them, rather than use them because they can.

Besides, if you are earning such a low wages than you cannot afford to buy food, go and look for another job. Or are we still clinging to the myth there are no jobs out there? Go and learn a skill, and and better yourself, rather than just sit on your arse being looked after by everyone else.

Harsh, but IMO, only those who are young, old, and disabled should get free handouts of any kind.

Everyone else should be made to work for their supper, no matter how trivial the work is. For me I work hard to look after my family and myself. I pay taxes which are used to pay to help these in need. Not those who want to be looked after by the State, and then whine that the rich have things that they don't. Because to the left, anyone with their own house is rich and should be taxed for it!!

Spot on. If wasn't for the low paid, sick and hungry this country would be doing just fine. Words fail me.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Spot on. If wasn't for the low paid, sick and hungry this country would be doing just fine. Words fail me.
Sorry should have added sick in my list of those to help. My point is, in other words those who cannot help themselves, should get all the help they need, rather than those will will not help themselves. Why should people who are long term out of work and not paying a penny into society, yet head the queue when taking out of society, live to the same standard as those who work hard and pay taxes.

So you can take sick of your list. And no one should go hungry, and thats why food banks work for certain people, but as I said, IMO they are a left wing propaganda tool, who many who use them, truly need to use them?

I think anyone who blames the Tories for the past five years, cannot be reasoned with. If they are going to ignore the complete financial mess that Labour left, and blame the Tories for the cuts that put it right, don't live in the real world, and are obviously ignoring that Labour would have had to make just as harsh cuts than the Tories. When the tories win, and if we are in the same situation in 5 years, then I may see the lefts point a little better, but if you fail to see why the Tories made the cuts they did, then whats the point of discussing it.

Next you will be saying that uncontrolled immigration is good for the country but the bedroom tax is cruel!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here