Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could be a pro footballer what ERA would you belong in?

What ERA would you play football in?

• Modern Day

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Pre Premier League

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Prehistoric

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hypothetical game. You are a professional footballer. Not only have you realised your dream but you also get to pick which era you appear in. What's YOUR dream era? Here are the pros and cons:

Pre Premier League

- Training by running up and down the terraces
- Proper tackles
- Defenders allowed to "get rid of it" and "break legs" on command form the stand behind the goal
- Skins / casuals fighting in the background with a decent chance of a mass pitch invasion
- Hot baths with the lads after games
- No squad players and only one or two subs
- Steak, chips and lager whenever you want including pre game
- A modest semi with your wife Debbie and your kids Mark and Kevin
- A post game career running a pub or as an IFA

Modern Day

- Kenyan Hills sessions in your modern gym
- Getting booked for farting
- Defenders that must be able to pass, dribble and score (tackling optional esp if you are a loan left back from Aston Villa)
- Kids with side partings and beards singing songs to the "Sloop John B"
- Ice baths on your own
- The chance to play out an entire three year contract on the bench or watching FIFA. Good chance of getting subbed for a rest
- Wholemeal pasta, grilled chicken and salad. Alcopops once a week.
- A f***ing great mansion with every toy known to man, three super cars, a wife called Chardonnay and a Nanny for Paris and Jayden plus a bit on the side called Katie
- A post game career as a pundit or on reality television

Prehistoric

- Brylcream and combovers
- Fans in proper bowler hats
- A rock for a ball
- A post career statue

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Modern day, just look at the CV.
Work for 5 or 6 years and then retire with enough money to look after my family for the next two generations.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Or, alternately for the modern day:

- The chance to play on some of the highest quality grounds i.e. not the boggy quagmires of yesteryear.
- Effective training and diets which help to fully bring out your potential as a professional.
- Very little crowd trouble (I mean who actually yearns for taking your life into your hands by just turning up?!).
- Stadiums which don't reek of piss.
- Clubs which now support young player's education so that they can find work if they drop out the game or when they retire.
- The majority of defenders being able to play good, tidy football rather than just being the biggest brick shithouse the club could find.
- Goal-line technology taking some of the burden off officials.
- Larger squads meaning more opportunities to break into the side and live the dream.
- Career threatening tackles being properly punished (and retrospective bans for thuggery missed by the officials)

That's not to say the modern game is better in every way, I'd certainly bring back terraces, drinking in view of the pitch, less cheating etc but there's plenty to be thankful for today. With regards to the point about footballers earning more, it does seem a ridiculous amount in some cases but generally it's proportional to the amount of money the game rakes in. If you're a player and you see the television rights being flogged for however many billions it was, you'd want your fair whack for your contribution to that wouldn't you? Would it be fair if the clubs pocketed the lion's share and the players made thirty grand a year?

Oh and what's wrong with Sloop John B? :thumbsup:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Or, alternately for the modern day:

- The chance to play on some of the highest quality grounds i.e. not the boggy quagmires of yesteryear.
- Effective training and diets which help to fully bring out your potential as a professional.
- Very little crowd trouble (I mean who actually yearns for taking your life into your hands by just turning up?!).
- Stadiums which don't reek of piss.
- Clubs which now support young player's education so that they can find work if they drop out the game or when they retire.
- The majority of defenders being able to play good, tidy football rather than just being the biggest brick shithouse the club could find.
- Goal-line technology taking some of the burden off officials.
- Larger squads meaning more opportunities to break into the side and live the dream.
- Career threatening tackles being properly punished (and retrospective bans for thuggery missed by the officials)

That's not to say the modern game is better in every way, I'd certainly bring back terraces, drinking in view of the pitch, less cheating etc but there's plenty to be thankful for today. With regards to the point about footballers earning more, it does seem a ridiculous amount in some cases but generally it's proportional to the amount of money the game rakes in. If you're a player and you see the television rights being flogged for however many billions it was, you'd want your fair whack for your contribution to that wouldn't you? Would it be fair if the clubs pocketed the lion's share and the players made thirty grand a year?

Oh and what's wrong with Sloop John B? [emoji106]
That pretty much sums it up for me as well. There's a lot that could be done to improve on the modern day game but if I were a player I know that I'd rather be involved now than at any other time.

I quite liked the complete lack of obvious bias in the initial post as well...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here