Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Fence

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hertha BSC have now ditched their match-day programme and replaced it with a free folded leaflet containing little more than reasonably comprehensive details of the opponents, the squads and the league stats. Given the advances in media, that most fans now get their news instantly from numerous other outlets, and football programmes are usually at best a few days off the pace (I wrote these (bland) notes before today's game etc), is there a place for programmes in today's world?

Poll to follow

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Always used to buy matchday programmes but stopped two years ago, as you say given the advances of social media by the time I get to the ground I've read so much leading up to game on sites like this and twitter I don't feel the need nowadays to read another 72 pages about The ALBION or the opponents

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I assume you're not trying to influence the poll given the reference to filler, etc. Given that the attempt to bring in a digital programme a few seasons ago this should give a clear indication that physical programmes are still relevant today. If we follow the example of fans getting information from other mediums then we can forgo the announcement if the team line ups as this be available on twitter.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I haven't bought a programme for years. This is partly for digital reasons, partly because I prefer a more 'balanced' read, but mostly down to keeping my match day spending to a minimum.

I have a massive collection of football programmes, they used to be important to me. I was a 'complete-ist' and would buy programmes to games I hadn't been to. Now I don't know what to do with them. They seem so pointless.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I assume you're not trying to influence the poll given the reference to filler, etc. Given that the attempt to bring in a digital programme a few seasons ago this should give a clear indication that physical programmes are still relevant today. If we follow the example of fans getting information from other mediums then we can forgo the announcement if the team line ups as this be available on twitter.

I feel the failure of the digital programme was for reasons other than the desire for a physical item.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No - but won't answer the poll as the option for No does not express my views

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That's me trying to be humerous.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Feel like programmes could still serve a purpose, but we stopped buying them because they got way too expensive and are just full of too much guff. Would definitely pay a pound or two for a simple squad list, managers notes, opposition notes (always thinking "where have I seen him before?) and an article or two. Do not need glossy mag with Nike promo shots for every front cover, boring interviews ("great bunch of lads" "working hard to put things right" etc), endless adverts and out of date news. To be fair, though, I still think sales would be very low.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last one I bought this season was Arsenal in the cup, personally think our one is quite expensive for what it is.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Pretty expensive but still less than a pint. I think ours is one of the better programmes. I did buy Charltons when we played them away and it was full of adverts and very bland articles saying very little. Brentford have their own fanzine-Besotted I think is the name. It is published on high quality paper and is a kind of rival to the official programme. It is a very good read- the one I saw had excellent coverage of their new ground and what effect it will have on the local area and to the fans. So I guess- in summary, it depends on the quality as to whether its worth buying and if they continue to sell then they can't be outdated just yet.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As I recall they don't have programmes in Spain. The local paper does a supplement feature on each game and these are given away free at the game. Worked ok for me.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I only ever used to buy away programmes of games I'd gone to, but after realising quite a few years ago that all they do is get stuck up in the loft, I stopped that as well. Have never bought home programmes.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Love programmes but rarely get buy them these days
Cost is the main reason but they tend to be full of glossy action pictures from previous matches which I have zero interest in and adverts

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I haven't bought a programme for years. This is partly for digital reasons, partly because I prefer a more 'balanced' read, but mostly down to keeping my match day spending to a minimum.

I have a massive collection of football programmes, they used to be important to me. I was a 'complete-ist' and would buy programmes to games I hadn't been to. Now I don't know what to do with them. They seem so pointless.
I quite agree. I used to buy a programme for every game I went to and always kept the programmes from games I refereed. I stopped buying them when we moved to the Amex.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
As I recall they don't have programmes in Spain. The local paper does a supplement feature on each game and these are given away free at the game. Worked ok for me.

You're right. And in Spain there are multiple daily papers devoted entirely to Barca, Real, etc. Fans don't need programmes; they're right up to speed on everything going on at their clubs on a daily basis, infinitely more so than we are here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here