Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All three promoted to PL could be relegated

Dec 15, 2014
Here
It looks as if all three teams promoted to the PL, Burnley, Leicester and QPR, could end of relegated back to the championship. I don't remember this happening often and what does it mean to a club such as Bournemouth when they most likely will be promoted to the PL for 2015-16?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Can see Hull and Sunderland going.
Both in free fall.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think it'll be Leicester, Hull and Sunderland, but I wouldn't be surprised if Villa went either.

I think QPR and Burnley will probably just scrape it.

As for Bournemouth, or indeed any other promoted team, such a scenario as the OP presents this year would mean absolutely nothing. Why would it?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
We need all the promoted clubs to survive, and give hope to all the smaller clubs.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I think it'll be Leicester, Hull and Sunderland, but I wouldn't be surprised if Villa went either.

As for Bournemouth, or indeed any other promoted team, such a scenario as the OP presents this year would mean absolutely nothing. Why would it?

Can't see Villa going down myself. They have Man City & Liverpool next but after that the last 4 are games they are in with a shout of getting points IMO

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Bournemouth will be hammered. They did not look that great,. I thought Derby were the best team down here even though we beat them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bournemouth will be hammered. They did not look that great,. I thought Derby were the best team down here even though we beat them.

I agree. Re OP, trouble is every time they come back down they benefit from parachute payments. Personally, I feel parachute payments should only apply for one year. If promoted teams have bankrupt themselves trying to achieve it or blown their budget once up there, more fool them. 3 years is a generous amount of time to off-load mercenary players on longer contracts.

I think Sunderland will go and hopefully Leicester will escape. WBA have some tough games as well.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Said a while ago it would be

18 Sunderland
19 hull
20 qpr

All 3 have tough run in and Leicester and burnley couldn't ask for an easier run in.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'd like to see Burnley and Leicester City survive. It's about time Sunderland joined us again. I like Steve Bruce and rather hope Hull City survive, but I fear it isn't going to happen.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I agree. Re OP, trouble is every time they come back down they benefit from parachute payments. Personally, I feel parachute payments should only apply for one year. If promoted teams have bankrupt themselves trying to achieve it or blown their budget once up there, more fool them. 3 years is a generous amount of time to off-load mercenary players on longer contracts.

I agree with that, particularly once this new tv deal kicks in - there is absolutely no reason why PL clubs should be in strife after that. I am sure some will be though.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Haven't they changed the parachute payment rules? i.e. If you only stay up one season you only get two years' worth of payments instead of three. Did I remember that correctly?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
It looks as if all three teams promoted to the PL, Burnley, Leicester and QPR, could end of relegated back to the championship. I don't remember this happening often and what does it mean to a club such as Bournemouth when they most likely will be promoted to the PL for 2015-16?

Pretty sure that last time all three promoted clubs were relagated was the 97-98 season with Bolton, Barnsley and Crystal Palace. With the new TV deal and relegation payments can def see it becoming a lot more common, where a handful of clubs find themselves constantly yo-yoing between the two leagues.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Kinda sad the way PL for a lot of clubs only focus in the top flight is finishing 17th at the cost to everything else. Its an interesting point made on Albion Roar that Oatway had made more at Sunderland than the whole of his playing career, just shows how ridiculously distorted things have got

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

I think Sunderland will go and hopefully Leicester will escape. WBA have some tough games as well.

On the plus side, only 1 of the top 7 in the championship have benefitted from Parachute payments this season (waits to be disproved).

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Kinda sad the way PL for a lot of clubs only focus in the top flight is finishing 17th at the cost to everything else. Its an interesting point made on Albion Roar that Oatway had made more at Sunderland than the whole of his playing career, just shows how ridiculously distorted things have got

In some ways I really would not mind Sunderland going down, I said it last season. There is something about fighting for the 17th spot every year which is, well, boring. We have won 5 games all season, could stay up with possibly 6 or definitely 7 - why should you get excited about that. A club the size of Sunderland and with the spending power should at least push for play offs in the championship each year which would be so much more exciting.

We could and have won 5 or more games in a month in the second tier of football 98-99 was the best more recent example when we did it a few times over a 31 day period!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In some ways I really would not mind Sunderland going down, I said it last season. There is something about fighting for the 17th spot every year which is, well, boring. We have won 5 games all season, could stay up with possibly 6 or definitely 7 - why should you get excited about that. A club the size of Sunderland and with the spending power should at least push for play offs in the championship each year which would be so much more exciting.

We could and have won 5 or more games in a month in the second tier of football 98-99 was the best more recent example when we did it a few times over a 31 day period!

Indeed Norwich supporter hated last season and are loving it this year. That said from PL ego's things can go to sh1t also, look at Cardiff and Fulham.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

No chance of Villa going down after beating Spurs, Sherwood is proving to be quite good at this manager thing. Obviously not good enough for us though if you believed half the people on here.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No chance of Villa going down after beating Spurs, Sherwood is proving to be quite good at this manager thing. Obviously not good enough for us though if you believed half the people on here.

Who's is say Sherwood could well with our limited resources, time will tell if he is good for Villa and that club have deep rooted issues

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think Hull will go down.

If Redknapp hadn't been in charge of QPR from the start of the season they would have stayed up, appalling pre season, signings and brilliant idea of trying to play wing backs in a team that is a flat back for team.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Haven't they changed the parachute payment rules? i.e. If you only stay up one season you only get two years' worth of payments instead of three. Did I remember that correctly?

No , the payments will be spread over three seasons instead of the previous arrangement of four.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here