Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sterns: The rise and fall of the UK’s most unlikely superclub

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Great spot. Good article.

Brings back loads of great memories. The DJ booth made out of the front of VW Beetle. The day-glo decor. The steps down to the basement. The courtyard. The condensation dripping off the ceilings & down the walls.

Loved the likes of Eddie Richards, Terry Francis & Rhythm Doctor playing the underground house vibe.

Always a top atmosphere, with regulars from all along the south coast & London. Often chatted to people from much further afield like Sheffield & Manchester who'd heard how good it was.

Went to the In-Ter-Dance 24 hour party in a Napoleonic fort on the Isle Of Wight, with Mensa flying overhead in a helicopter & waving to those dancing on the roof. Think it was called Treasure Island & is on You Tube. Very messy!

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Great spot. Good article.

Brings back loads of great memories. The DJ booth made out of the front of VW Beetle. The day-glo decor. The steps down to the basement. The courtyard. The condensation dripping off the ceilings & down the walls.

Loved the likes of Eddie Richards, Terry Francis & Rhythm Doctor playing the underground house vibe.

Always a top atmosphere, with regulars from all along the south coast & London. Often chatted to people from much further afield like Sheffield & Manchester who'd heard how good it was.

Went to the In-Ter-Dance 24 hour party in a Napoleonic fort on the Isle Of Wight, with Mensa flying overhead in a helicopter & waving to those dancing on the roof. Think it was called Treasure Island & is on You Tube. Very messy!

Christ I forgot the condensation !

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Sterns was so far ahead of it's time, great article!

:thumbsup:

Jul 7, 2003
Ruined the place when they built the Underground. Was always a quirky place for a fun night out but that scene was far too serious for me.

Bizarrely, my last visit to the Underground was after it had closed as a club and was being used for children's parties complete with ball pit.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Soulman - you would !
Not forgetting the infamous Foam Court Club in Ferring under the same 'management' - I still have a lifetime membership dating from 1976.
Unfortunately it's now three bungalows.
Still, at least the Tudor Close is alive and kicking.

Tudor Close.......lovely old gaff , my brother in law used to manage it....!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I remember it well, but everything has it's time.
I was involved in some DJ ing at the time and a friend of Carl Cox, before he went global!
I helped out there, covering during breaks for a while, it was mental.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some of the best nights of my life were spent there. Sadly some of my mates were involved in the police crack down too, not the best times.

Wasn't there a film coming out about Mensa? Anyone seen it?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I remember it well, but everything has it's time.
I was involved in some DJ ing at the time and a friend of Carl Cox, before he went global!
I helped out there, covering during breaks for a while, it was mental.

What sort of music did you play?

Where else did you play?

What was your DJ name?

Do you remember the record shop above the Boy Londond shop just out fo the lanes? My mate used to own and run the Boy London part downstairs but they had some great tunes upstairs.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What sort of music did you play?

Where else did you play?

What was your DJ name?

Do you remember the record shop above the Boy London shop just out fo the lanes? My mate used to own and run the Boy London part downstairs but they had some great tunes upstairs.

Not sure why that post ended up like a questionnaire :) just interested sorry.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Soulman - you would !
Not forgetting the infamous Foam Court Club in Ferring under the same 'management' - I still have a lifetime membership dating from 1976.
Unfortunately it's now three bungalows.
Still, at least the Tudor Close is alive and kicking.

The Foam Court Club ; was that later known as the Trunx Club ?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I think I arrived on the scene a year or two too late for sterns, but I can remember going to a club called 'the mansion house' which I think was the reopened sterns? I can't remember it being very good to be honest certainly compared with the clubs in London at the time like club UK in Wandsworth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here