Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost the passion?

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
After all that we have been through, the Mullery years, Wembley, the war years and the arrival at The Amex, the Poyet years, the AMEPC (training ground to you and me) - I have lost the passion.

Where did it go wrong?

No it's not the big corporate animal itself that has ground me down, it's things like:

- The spin;
- The number of disaffected ex-employees and ex-suppliers, loyal individuals, who are highly critical of what's gone on over the last 4 years;
- The disconnect with players (no settled squad, too many money grabbing loan rubbish);
- The utter lack of passion on the pitch (barring a few heroic individuals like Calde and CMS - who sadly don't possess enough skill); and
- The very poor quality of play on the pitch.

Money can't buy everything of course - we are so very lucky to have The Amex and The AMEPC - which of course are the envy of most football clubs. But if I'd spent £30m on a new state-of-the-art training ground, I'd want a pretty quick return on my investment. To see set pieces of the quality we have had this season would make me weep.

No team has the right to be successful and win trophies or be in the top 10, but every team should be united and passionate.

I haven't looked forward or been excited by an Albion match for months (years?). I don't want to leave the ground early or miss a home match but my loyalty is being severely tested. The Board would do well to listen, read and understand what supporters are saying, instead of sugar coating everything. Yesterday I received an email pushing the Player of the Season Awards Night - really? That's up there with giving the 'pretendance'. Who are you kidding? In my view, it shouldn't be held. Yes invite sponsors to a dinner, fair enough - use it as a real debriefing session. But who (other than a couple of players) are worthy off receiving any kind of award?

Football (but not exclusively football) is about opinions. They'll be people who will totally disagree with me. Some will be constructive in their arguments, others will be abusive and refer back to 'the inner sanctum' rubbish. I derive absolutely no pleasure in seeing the Club (that we fought so hard to bring back from the brink) being disunited or underperforming. I have always thought that by being united we can (and indeed have) achieve - and clearly the Club agree with their 'Together in 2015/16' strap line. But we aren't a Club that's 'together' - things need to be fixed.

Will I go on Tuesday, if my youngest doesn't want to go - I won't go. I've got lots of other things to do. Will anyone care, of course not and there's no reason why anyone should. Except I daresay there may be many other supporters, who might just be thinking along similar lines - and that should be of concern to the Board.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
After all that we have been through, the Mullery years, Wembley, the war years and the arrival at The Amex, the Poyet years, the AMEPC (training ground to you and me) - I have lost the passion.

Where did it go wrong?

No it's not the big corporate animal itself that has ground me down, it's things like:

- The spin;
- The number of disaffected ex-employees and ex-suppliers, loyal individuals, who are highly critical of what's gone on over the last 4 years;
- The disconnect with players (no settled squad, too many money grabbing loan rubbish);
- The utter lack of passion on the pitch (barring a few heroic individuals like Calde and CMS - who sadly don't possess enough skill); and
- The very poor quality of play on the pitch.

Money can't buy everything of course - we are so very lucky to have The Amex and The AMEPC - which of course are the envy of most football clubs. But if I'd spent £30m on a new state-of-the-art training ground, I'd want a pretty quick return on my investment. To see set pieces of the quality we have had this season would make me weep.

No team has the right to be successful and win trophies or be in the top 10, but every team should be united and passionate.

I haven't looked forward or been excited by an Albion match for months (years?). I don't want to leave the ground early or miss a home match but my loyalty is being severely tested. The Board would do well to listen, read and understand what supporters are saying, instead of sugar coating everything. Yesterday I received an email pushing the Player of the Season Awards Night - really? That's up there with giving the 'pretendance'. Who are you kidding? In my view, it shouldn't be held. Yes invite sponsors to a dinner, fair enough - use it as a real debriefing session. But who (other than a couple of players) are worthy off receiving any kind of award?

Football (but not exclusively football) is about opinions. They'll be people who will totally disagree with me. Some will be constructive in their arguments, others will be abusive and refer back to 'the inner sanctum' rubbish. I derive absolutely no pleasure in seeing the Club (that we fought so hard to bring back from the brink) being disunited or underperforming. I have always thought that by being united we can (and indeed have) achieve - and clearly the Club agree with their 'Together in 2015/16' strap line. But we aren't a Club that's 'together' - things need to be fixed.

Will I go on Tuesday, if my youngest doesn't want to go - I won't go. I've got lots of other things to do. Will anyone care, of course not and there's no reason why anyone should. Except I daresay there may be many other supporters, who might just be thinking along similar lines - and that should be of concern to the Board.

great post .......passionate about the playing side, something forgotten by those in the upper management who have their heads stuck up their own backsides looking for the perfect day out.
yes..........the perfect day out at the Amex well a win for a start would be the perfect day out, not nice food and clackers (who thought that one up I wonder).
get the playing side right( no problem with the present manager) get the transfers right and things should fall into place ...............but leave it to those who know what they are doing, not people who have never even kicked a football in anger.
this season has been bloody terrible and we are lucky that some teams are a lot worse at putting the ball in the net that we are.
we need one or two key players and I trust CH to find them thats if he aready has'nt.
upper management need to take a good look at themselves and change things otherwise we will lose this manager as well.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I agree with lot of that. I turn up and there's a band playing, Harvey's and fish n chips then it goes down hill,from there.

The football has been sh1t for ages. Stop worrying about halftime entertainment etc and concentrate on the main thing which is football. Get a decent team together and the atmosphere will look after its self, we don't need cheer leaders.

Bring on the cricket season and maybe a few decent signings

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
One poor season. Are we so fickle that that is all that it takes?

premiership ready
top six squad
best not to say things like that if you are going to ****-up

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I cannot believe that after the terrible appointment then departure of SH that we would still be looking over our shoulders with a couple of games left in this season.

At the moment I feel somewhat passionless but will be there on Tuesday knowing that if we get three points I will be feeling happier.

For this to happen the players and hierarchy need to find their own passion.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

I agree, football is all about ups and downs, good times and bad. We're struggling after a few good years, tends to be cyclical. Whilst I am not 100% happy with everything regarding the club as a whole, I'm sticking with them and shall continue to do so after all these years.
It's not blind following, I have reduced spending in some areas due to being a tad miffed here and there but I still support BHA. Not Barber, not FFP, not matchday experiences but BHA.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Anyone who talks about passion belongs on reality tv.
What passion?
Did Billy Lane have passion?
Did Archie "whisky" Mac?
Passion is the latest cliché...... talk about it and you haven't got it.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

59 years I have been following the Albion and I have seen some real crap, but it was played by MY TEAM, who I loved and would follow anywhere, but I feel the same as the Henfield One. It no longer feels like my club any more.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
This is not about one poor season. This about the heart being ripped out of the club over the last 2 or 3.
I was so close to not going last night. On a night game,my favourite time.
I agree with all of the original post.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Anyone who talks about passion belongs on reality tv.
What passion?
Did Billy Lane have passion?
Did Archie "whisky" Mac?
Passion is the latest cliché...... talk about it and you haven't got it.

Am sure in their own way BL and AM did have passion.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
One bad season. I wish people would realize this and stop being ungrateful.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
59 years I have been following the Albion and I have seen some real crap, but it was played by MY TEAM, who I loved and would follow anywhere, but I feel the same as the Henfield One. It no longer feels like my club any more.

Great post/thread by Henfield One and the above totally sums up my feeling too (albeit for a mere 35 or so years. I'm hugely saddened by the way I feel, I'm a very loyal person but I'm afraid it's just gone, or rather been ripped from me.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
One bad season. I wish people would realize this and stop being ungrateful.

Ungrateful? When someone like Henfield One feels like this, the club needs to be worried, he did so much in saving this great club in the past. How people forget so easily how hard some fought I find unbelievable.

The soul has been sucked out of the club since the amex opened,not bothered about players,style of play and all that,its irrelevant as the 45 years of following the Albion has seen some pretty poor football.With the only goal left is the premiership and to be honest i would rather watch div 1 footie than be the whipping boys for the top 6. Nothing left to play for game over cash beats football!:moo:

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
What a load of complete bollocks.

The Amex matchday is brilliant from start to finish.
All we need are home wins and all of this stupidly entitled whinging will be quickly sidelined again.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
great post .......passionate about the playing side, something forgotten by those in the upper management who have their heads stuck up their own backsides looking for the perfect day out.
yes..........the perfect day out at the Amex well a win for a start would be the perfect day out, not nice food and clackers (who thought that one up I wonder).
get the playing side right( no problem with the present manager) get the transfers right and things should fall into place ...............but leave it to those who know what they are doing, not people who have never even kicked a football in anger.
this season has been bloody terrible and we are lucky that some teams are a lot worse at putting the ball in the net that we are.
we need one or two key players and I trust CH to find them thats if he aready has'nt.
upper management need to take a good look at themselves and change things otherwise we will lose this manager as well.

Thought you'd be frothing at the bit to get your miserable view about everything on here.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
You live in Henfield......spare a thought for us poor *******s who travel from outer London to a match, hoping against hope that we might
actually play well or even score a goal. And guess what? It's the same old sh*t week after week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here