Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people think Bloom will spend big in the summer?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I've spoken to a lot of people , read it on here and elsewhere that Bloom "will go for it" and "spend big" in the summer.

I just don't see it. I think after failing to keep the best manager we have had in years we are now one of a group of third category teams.

The first category are the parachute payment teams who have a financial advantage.

The second category are the teams like Bournemouth, up and coming, young manager, significant investor, like we used to be. They have momentum and financial clout.

The third category is a group of clubs trying to do it with medium cost. Long term view not short term gain. We can't compete financially with the two categories above, so hope to get lucky in the transfer window.

The fourth category are clubs who are broke and that's why we shouldn't be going down.

The problem with this "third category" status is that for you to be successful you need to be lucky or skillful in the transfer window. For two years, since Gus left, we haven't signed any good players but have sold all of the good ones he brought in. We therefore need someone in the club to have the same ability to spot a good player as Gus did. Do we have that now? Burke clearly didn't have that ability. Does anyone else at the club? I don't believe Hughton has a reputation as a manager who can find players out of nothing.

So Bloom could "go big" but I doubt it. I think we have seasons to come of trying to get lucky and keeping our fingers crossed. So far the strategy has failed for two years, let's hope that changes.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm not one of those people. He might spend a few quid on a couple of players, but I'm expecting mostly free transfers and the odd Premiership cast off. He won't break FFP.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Think next seasons squad will be made up of much the same as this year in terms of quality IMO. This team needs millions spent on it if were to be top 6 next year imo. Can't see BHA spending huge...........quality comes at a price, and unproven gems are hard to find.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He won't spend big. But the FFP rule changes mean he can spend more if he wants to. But we have to be MUCH wiser in the transfer market using whatever budget we have to much greater effect.

I would contend that Kayal is a good player. We 'just' need another 10 of the same calibre.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There is a decent team hiding in there somewhere. Nathan found it, now like a Tortoise it's gone back into it's shell and disappeared again.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I'm not one of those people. He might spend a few quid on a couple of players, but I'm expecting mostly free transfers and the odd Premiership cast off. He won't break FFP.

He doesn't need to spend big. Other clubs chasing promotion haven't. Bournemouth, Ipswich etc. Just let the manager have some say in free transfers etc over the summer. ( Not telling them who they must have and to get on with it, which appears the case this season). Bloom etc should "butt out" when it comes to selecting the players and only get involved on the money side once the player wants to talk.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bloom has a balancing act to perform. Repeat this years recruitment failure, fan numbers will drop (is it 1901 renewals at the end of next season?) and we'll continue to spiral OR show some intent and create some enthusiasm for the club again. Our academy is a potential light at the end of the rainbow, but the trick is to keep everyone happy whilst these lads come through.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
If a manager and director of football recruitment can't find the players, it's certain that a chairman won't be able to.

I think you are correct, but it does help when the manager and the director of football recruitment are on the same wavelength and work in harmony. I don't think that has happened here since the arrival of Burke and remains to be seen how Hughton gets on with the present set up.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Kayal is living proof that the right buys are out there, it's just a case of finding them and bringing them here within our means. Throwing money at the problem doesn't necessarily guarantee solving it.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Kayal is living proof that the right buys are out there, it's just a case of finding them and bringing them here within our means. Throwing money at the problem doesn't necessarily guarantee solving it.

And spending no money will guarantee another bottom 6 finish IMO.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bloom has a balancing act to perform. Repeat this years recruitment failure, fan numbers will drop (is it 1901 renewals at the end of next season?) and we'll continue to spiral OR show some intent and create some enthusiasm for the club again. Our academy is a potential light at the end of the rainbow, but the trick is to keep everyone happy whilst these lads come through.

Yep 1901 renewals at the end of next season and suspect it may drop to annual membership.

The academy will not produce a player for at least three years

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Yep 1901 renewals at the end of next season and suspect it may drop to annual membership.

Have they unearthed a youngster who could be our first own left back in three seasons. That would be a good measure of producing players to the teams requirements.

Feb 14, 2010

Oh no, not another 3/5 year plan! How old are the players in the development squad? Just that there are kids in their teens and early 20's playing Premier League football

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
And spending no money will guarantee another bottom 6 finish IMO.

Bournemouth squad cost. You can correct me if wrong.

Boruc 0
Daniels 175k
Elphick 200k
Cook 100 k
Francis 25 k
Pugh Tribunal (100k?)
Arter Tribunal (40k?)
Surman 800k
Ritchie 500k
Pitman 60k
Wilson 3m (paid for by Grabban money):
Camp 0
Smith 500? Probably less?
Harte 0
Gosling 0
Fraser 500K
Kermorgant 400k

Ipswich squad apparently put together for 10K so if this is correct. It can be done.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
The comment that FFP has been relaxed and therefore we will be able to spend more applies to all the third category of teams, therefore I don't see how that helps.

Also are we the same attraction we were two or three seasons ago?

Players are largely driven by wages, CMS was a rare exception to that.

Other teams are paying much bigger wages and therefore attracting players is really very hard. To get back the momentum we really need to sign a player that shows intent. I really don't see that happening.

It's going to take two or three years of slow build with hopefully young players coming through and not being sold.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Bournemouth squad cost. You can correct me if wrong.

Boruc 0
Daniels 175k
Elphick 200k
Cook 100 k
Francis 25 k
Pugh Tribunal (100k?)
Arter Tribunal (40k?)
Surman 800k
Ritchie 500k
Pitman 60k
Wilson 3m (paid for by Grabban money):
Camp 0
Smith 500? Probably less?
Harte 0
Gosling 0
Fraser 500K
Kermorgant 400k

Ipswich squad apparently put together for 10K so if this is correct. It can be done.

But Bournemouth are paying wages that we can't compete with, that's the key difference.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here