Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth pretendance

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
As I've said - I also don't really care about the attendance v pretendance thing. It is what it is.

However, I do care when the club don't do something they usually do (announce the attendance) as they know they will be ridiculed by some of their very own people - us, the Albion fans. It doesn't feel healthy. It doesn't feel as though we really are all #together.

a lot of this...!!

Feb 14, 2010
It's not a bad thing in the least. I was only pulling you up on your statement that the club had 'shifted 25000 tickets for a Friday night game'. They didn't.

Talk about splitting hairs, your point is because they sold 20odd thousand by way of season tickets and so thats not selling for the friday. This is beyond absurd. As they said on life of Brian.. there's no pleasing some people

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Talk about splitting hairs, your point is because they sold 20odd thousand by way of season tickets and so thats not selling for the friday. This is beyond absurd. As they said on life of Brian.. there's no pleasing some people

As they also said on Life Of Brian...

How long before it gets incorporated into Fanzone? Or maybe Goal Music for when the opposition score? :moo:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As they also said on Life Of Brian...

How long before it gets incorporated into Fanzone? Or maybe Goal Music for when the opposition score? :moo:

Do we get the NSC version lyrics shown on the big screen ? - "Always look on the sh*te side of life doo doo"

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I'm not joining in either way but the point being made was that almost all the tickets sold for last night's game were sold long before the purchasers realised that the team would be where it is.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm not joining in either way but the point being made was that almost all the tickets sold for last night's game were sold long before the purchasers realised that the team would be where it is.

Yes and since then the Albion support have still bought another 20,000 season tickets. This is a fantastic effort at moaning at something that is cracking. Its a support that most London clubs (except the Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham & Chelsea) would kill for. Just remember, the now self professed bet fans in the country (Palace) were living off between 10,000 to 12000 paying punters plus free ticket sales to try and make a crowd half respectable. Only at Brighton can selling 20,000 plus season tickets be seen as a negative ! Its so absurd that its funny and so typically Brighton!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The club needs to be honest with its supporters, and accurate in its use of English. There are three options:-

1 Announce "Ticket sales for tonight totalled [25,574]"

2 Announce "Tonight's crowd numbered [18,933]"

3 Don't announce anything, but let all sponsors and actual or potential advertisers have appropriately massaged numbers after the game.

Feb 14, 2010
The club needs to be honest with its supporters, and accurate in its use of English. There are three options:-

3 Don't announce anything, but let all sponsors and actual or potential advertisers have appropriately massaged numbers after the game.

Why? No other club does? How would that help comparing clubs on a like for like basis?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Why? No other club does? How would that help comparing clubs on a like for like basis?
What's comparison with other clubs got to do with anything? The attendance announcement was always there to let people attending (geddit?) the game know the size of the crowd they were in, not in order to feed some absurd inter-club willy-waving contest.

If clubs are only ever going to broadcast to their supporters a ridiculous figure that bears no relation whatsoever to the self-explanatory English word 'attendance', then it would be far better for there to be no announcement at all. Especially if the announcement serves only to draw attention to the growing number of people who, having forked out for a ticket, can no longer stomach the chore of actually attending the game.

Never forget, Comrade, as fully-paid-up members of the people's proletariat, we should all basically remain ever-vigilant in the face of lies and deceptions peddled by the capitalist ruling clique. Resist!

[ And some people had imagined that Dave Spart was dead.... ]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's comparison with other clubs got to do with anything? The attendance announcement was always there to let people attending (geddit?) the game know the size of the crowd they were in, not in order to feed some absurd inter-club willy-waving contest.

If clubs are only ever going to broadcast to their supporters a ridiculous figure that bears no relation whatsoever to the self-explanatory English word 'attendance', then it would be far better for there to be no announcement at all. Especially if the announcement serves only to draw attention to the growing number of people who, having forked out for a ticket, can no longer stomach the chore of actually attending the game.

Never forget, Comrade, as fully-paid-up members of the people's proletariat, we should all basically remain ever-vigilant in the face of lies and deceptions peddled by the capitalist ruling clique. Resist!

[ And some people had imagined that Dave Spart was dead.... ]

Why is it so important that you need to know exactly how many people are at the same game as you? What purpose does it fulfil other than satisfy your idle curiosity. I know what the capacity is and (most weeks) we are told the number of tickets sold so anyone can look around and have a guess at what the actual attendance is. It might take up one sentence of one conversation in the first few minutes but then who gives a damn. I personally couldn't give a damn whether the actual crowd is 20,432 or 21,321 irrespective of if they have sold 25k tickets. Same with the away fans, I know roughly how much the South stand holds and I can see how many blocks are allocated so I can guess how many they have brought to the game. I'm not bothered by the exact amount. The only relevance is the effect it has on the atmosphere at the game. I don't see the point of applauding the away fans but it seems many do.

You say it isn't a willy waving contest but you still don't actually give a reason why you need to know the size of the crowd.

Would it hurt the club to announce both figures? Probably not.
Who actually needs to know the actual number of people through the gate? Well probably just the club and the sponsors. The club because it will probably correlate with the sales at the concessions and sponsors so they know they are spending their money productively.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Why is it so important that you need to know exactly how many people are at the same game as you? What purpose does it fulfil other than satisfy your idle curiosity. I know what the capacity is and (most weeks) we are told the number of tickets sold so anyone can look around and have a guess at what the actual attendance is. It might take up one sentence of one conversation in the first few minutes but then who gives a damn. I personally couldn't give a damn whether the actual crowd is 20,432 or 21,321 irrespective of if they have sold 25k tickets. Same with the away fans, I know roughly how much the South stand holds and I can see how many blocks are allocated so I can guess how many they have brought to the game. I'm not bothered by the exact amount. The only relevance is the effect it has on the atmosphere at the game. I don't see the point of applauding the away fans but it seems many do.

You say it isn't a willy waving contest but you still don't actually give a reason why you need to know the size of the crowd.

Would it hurt the club to announce both figures? Probably not.
Who actually needs to know the actual number of people through the gate? Well probably just the club and the sponsors. The club because it will probably correlate with the sales at the concessions and sponsors so they know they are spending their money productively.
You don't come across as some newcomer to football, so you must be aware that football crowd sizes have always been included as an intrinsic part of match reportage: Date, teams, score, scorers, crowd.

Why does that remain of interest? [Am I really having to explain this?] Football is a community experience; that statistic reveals the extent of a community's interest in and commitment to their local club, and how it varies as a season progresses. Reading out a number that includes thousands of people who aren't actually there destroys that metric altogether. Far better in that case for no announcement to be made at all.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Do all clubs announce the attendance over the tannoy during games? Maybe the club should just stop doing this is they are that sensitive about their own supporters taking the piss out of it.

Having been to all but two away games this season, it's about a 50-50 split

The whole point we started doing it in the first place was I imagine so that everybody could marvel at how well supported we are and what marvelous fans we had. We could all clap and cheer and slap each other on the back. Now it's just a bloody embarrassment when the figure announced is so far apart from what is actually there. They should either announce the true crowd (which they won't) or not bother with it at all

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You don't come across as some newcomer to football, so you must be aware that football crowd sizes have always been included as an intrinsic part of match reportage: Date, teams, score, scorers, crowd.

Why does that remain of interest? [Am I really having to explain this?] Football is a community experience; that statistic reveals the extent of a community's interest in and commitment to their local club, and how it varies as a season progresses. Reading out a number that includes thousands of people who aren't actually there destroys that metric altogether. Far better in that case for no announcement to be made at all.

Well good for you if you feel better being part of a community of 23,546 instead of a community of only 21,432. I'm not that bothered about your so called metric but is it really 'destroyed' just because they read out tickets sold? Every club will have people that have tickets but are unable to attend so we can compare. We know the number of season ticket sales so the only variables are the away fans and those that buy match by match. You can estimate the away fans from the blocks they fill so that just leaves looking at the gaps around the ground.

Meanwhile, there's a game going on!

Or announce the amount of ticket holders who did not turn up.:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here