Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Largest ever Albion Fan Attendance?

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I was checking through some attendance figures earlier and it made me wonder what the highest ever crowd of Albion fans at any one match was?

Would it have been in the 36,747 at the Goldstone v Fulham in 1958? Presumably not many opposition fans travelled in those days?

Or at the Cup Final in 1983? The official attendance was 99,059 but it's well known that the amount of tickets given out to the competing teams isn't great. And didn't we sell some of ours to Man Utd anyway? Maybe there would have been more Albion fans at the Replay in the crowd of 91,534 as there were probably fewer neutrals there? I was working in Dublin and didn't make the replay but I don't recall seeing Utd fans down our end for that game when watching on TV either.

The only other possibility would be the Play Off Final in 2004? The official crowd was 65,167 but wasn't the general feeling that we took about 30,000 to the game? Even if it was slightly higher I doubt it was anywhere near that 1958 crowd.

Out of curiosity only, does anyone know the answer for me please? I can't find it online anywhere.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My understanding is that there were 34k in 1991 at Wembley, and 29k in 2004 at the MilStad

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seem to recall 34-35000 at Wembley in 91, a gut wrenching day. It will be better next time we're at Wembley

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Am sure there was over 31k albion fans at play off final 1991. Certainly outnumbered Notts County fans

According to Wiki

"Notts County also booked their second successive visit to Wembley and their second successive promotion. The Magpies defeated Brighton & Hove Albion 3–1 in front of 60,000 spectators, 25,000 of which were Notts County fans."

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
According to Wiki

"Notts County also booked their second successive visit to Wembley and their second successive promotion. The Magpies defeated Brighton & Hove Albion 3–1 in front of 60,000 spectators, 25,000 of which were Notts County fans."

Ha! There were whole blocks of empty seats in the County end. 15,000 more like it.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Tim Carder, in his excellent Seagulls! book, says 32,400 at Wembley for that Play-off game. I'll believe him, never in a million years did we have 45,000. So taking in account opposition fans at our home matches, I reckon that is pretty close to the largest ever Albion fan attendance.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Surely the fa cup replay would have been the most...the first game had so many mancs around us it seemed that 70% of the gate was them....where did the money go for that game Ernest?

The second game was probably more even, or it appeared so.

Jan 30, 2008
Surely the fa cup replay would have been the most...the first game had so many mancs around us it seemed that 70% of the gate was them....where did the money go for that game Ernest?

yeah, the one's around us had an unfortunate experience( first game) THOUGHT THEY COULD JUST GIVE IT THE BIG UN AND NOTHING WAS GOING TO HAPPEN:blush:
regards
DR

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove

Agree. I went to both games but the replay had alot more of my mates who were unable to get tickets for the first game.

For a packed terrace of Albion fans I always loved the Clock End at Highbury for the Semi. Totally rammed everywhere. What a great day trhat was!

Jan 30, 2008
Am sure there was over 31k albion fans at play off final 1991. Certainly outnumbered Notts County fans
and forest :rolleyes: one of their top lads at the time(now dead) was doing the fruit machine with a screwdriver in a back street boozer at Baker street, couldn't do it so walked out all frustrated, :rolleyes:
regards
DR

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Monday 26th April 1965 31,423 at the Goldstone to see us win the Fourth Div Championship.
I don't think many Darlington fans travelled down to see that game.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Monday 26th April 1965 31,423 at the Goldstone to see us win the Fourth Div Championship.

I was in that crowd - 50 years ago this month. Don't think there were many no-shows among the ST holders for that game so 31,423 were actually there !

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I was in that crowd - 50 years ago this month. Don't think there were many no-shows among the ST holders for that game so 31,423 were actually there !

Great team we scored 102 goals that season with all 5 forwards as they were known then, got into double figures. Would be nice to have just one getting near double figures this season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Good shout - or maybe v Rochdale in May 1972?

34k inside The Goldstone with (supposedly with another 2k locked out).

I don't imagine that many Rochdale fans travelled down midweek for that one either....

I recall the area around The Goldstone being rammed and Newtown Road solid with punters trying to get tickets.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Good shout - or maybe v Rochdale in May 1972?

34k inside The Goldstone with (supposedly with another 2k locked out).

I don't imagine that many Rochdale fans travelled down midweek for that one either....

I recall the area around The Goldstone being rammed and Newtown Road solid with punters trying to get tickets.

Now that is a great shout 34,766 official attendance on a Wednesday night. Agree, I don't think many Rochdale fans would have been there. John Templeman scored the only goal to get us promoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here