Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Mark Butcher tips Sussex for CC

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Difficult to judge at the moment, but the bowling certainly looks stronger this year. A lot rests with how Nash, Yardy and Joyce perform at the top, if they have good seasons then why not.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The bowling looks strong and Robinson has a habit of improving the bowlers.

If it is a dry summer, the lack of spinner could be an issue later in the season. Although I think Maggofin technically becomes English during the season, so the possibility of an overseas spinner coming in mid season if we are still in with a shout?

I still worry about the batting. There is plenty of talent there, but we tend to find brain dead ways of getting out. The lack of a batting coach that has played cricket before the last ice age is still a problem.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
10-1 e/w pays 1/4 for third place. A tenner e/w I think. Not because of Butcher but the bowling attack.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
10-1 e/w pays 1/4 for third place. A tenner e/w I think. Not because of Butcher but the bowling attack.

If you do fancy this use betway through quidco, if you don't already have an account that is, and get 20 quid cashback if you wager 25 quid. So 12.50 e/w and the bet is covered by the cashback.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can't see anyone coming near yorkshire this year, but the problem we have is that with so many of the front line needed by England, root, balance etc, we cannot get a stable side.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probable kiss of death, expect Surrey and Hampshire to do far better than us in the Championship and another poor one day/20/20 run.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you do fancy this use betway through quidco, if you don't already have an account that is, and get 20 quid cashback if you wager 25 quid. So 12.50 e/w and the bet is covered by the cashback.

Thanks but I joined them for the Celtenham Gold Cup with a £75 offer. The £37.50 e/w lost but the free bet netted £150 giving £75 profit. Had a bit of hassle over withdrawing but they sorted it out efficiently. They are the only ones offering 10-1.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probable kiss of death, expect Surrey and Hampshire to do far better than us in the Championship and another poor one day/20/20 run.

I will bet my house that we will finish higher in the Championship than Surrey :lolol:

I disagree with Dave about Yorkshire - they're going to have a lot of call-ups this year - I can see a lot of teams come near them. My tip is Warwickshire, I fear that Sussex's batting will get rolled over too easily

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Too much reliance on Joyce last year. Nash, Wells, Yardy et al have got to score a lot more runs this year of we're to have a realistic chance. Can't see it happening myself - Notts or Warwickshire for me.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I will bet my house that we will finish higher in the Championship than Surrey :lolol:

I disagree with Dave about Yorkshire - they're going to have a lot of call-ups this year - I can see a lot of teams come near them. My tip is Warwickshire, I fear that Sussex's batting will get rolled over too easily

The Yorkshire call ups has been over played as so many of them are touring.

In reality Root and Ballance are the only 2 definite starters.

Bairstow and Rashid should be available for the season (Ali likely to be the spinner for England when fit). Lyth might get a chance, but I suspect England will go with Trott at the top of the order.

Not even sure Plunkett is a definite pick for England.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Yorkshire call ups has been over played as so many of them are touring.

In reality Root and Ballance are the only 2 definite starters.

Bairstow and Rashid should be available for the season (Ali likely to be the spinner for England when fit). Lyth might get a chance, but I suspect England will go with Trott at the top of the order.

Not even sure Plunkett is a definite pick for England.

Maybe. I reckon Lyth will be the England opener, I'm not convinced they're sure of Trott against Johnson and Starc

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Divison 2 Surrey?

I mean in the South of England. Expect all the news about how a resurgent Surrey storm back in to Div one and Hampshire become the darlings of South Today again while we try to grub out enough points to hang in the Division.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
All comes down to if our batsmen can score enough runs for our pretty decent bowling attack to bowl at.

Yep, casting my mind back to last season we just did not get enough first innings runs, our bowlers could get 20 wickets no problem, but so often we got really mediocre first innings totals. It was basically pretty much the Ed Joyce show when it came to batting last season if I remember correctly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here