Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] ALBION AND BOURNEMOUTH FIVE-A-SIDE TEAM

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011

A five-a-side team comprised of legendary Brighton & Hove Albion and Bournemouth players over the years.*

Alan Blayney (Goalkeeper)
This Northern Ireland international proved himself as a capable shot-stopper with a ‘Man of the Match’ performance for Southampton in a 3-3 draw with Newcastle in May 2004, on his Premier League debut. His far post save from Alan Shearer was votted ‘save of the season’ for 2003/04. As third choice with the Saints, he had been loaned to Bournemouth in 2002/03, making two appearances. Alan had two spells at Brighton, in 2004/05 when he played the last seven League appearances as Mark McGhee’s side saved themselves from relegation from the second tier on the last day. He also played eight more League matches for the Seagulls on loan in the following season. Injury has hampered his career. He currently plays for Glenovan in Northern Ireland.
Gary Chivers (Defender)
This stylish and dependable performer played for Chelsea, Swansea, QPR and Watford. He joined Brighton from the Hornets in a £40,000 deal in March 1988. Gary went on to make 252 appearances for the Seagulls up to the end of the 1992/93 season, impressing Goldstone crowds with his reading of the game and his versatility. This included a famous match against Millwall in September 1991, when the defender played in goal for the first eight minutes, before being replaced by substitute Mark Beeney. Following his release from the Albion, Gary had a spell with Norwegian side Lyn and then signed for Bournemouth in November 1993, making his debut in a 4-2 victory over Brighton. He made 31 appearances for the Cherries before retiring from the game in 1995.*
Jimmy Case (Midfielder)
In Matchday magazine from March 1994, Jimmy gave an interview in the twilight of his playing days. ‘Bournemouth released me because they had severe financial problems and had to let go players out of contract,’ explained Case. He had made 40 appearances for the Cherries in 1991/92. A somewhat nomadic career followed, with spells at Halifax, Wrexham, Darlington and Sittingbourne before returning to the Seagulls. ‘I think Liam reckoned Brighton were light in midfield and while talking among friends my name cropped up. I had no hesitation in accepting. I still have the appetite for the game and want to continue playing for as long as possible.’ Case went on to make 32 appearances for the Seagulls in his second spell at the Goldstone. He was also manager from 1995-96 in a troubled time at the club.

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Gary Howlett (Midfielder)*

His cross set up Gordon Smith’s opener in the 1983 FA Cup Final. Then, in January 1984, he became a cover star of Panini’s Football ’84 sticker album, undoubtedly a memorable moment for Brighton supporters who were sticker collectors at the time. This young midfielder gave the recipe for his football success in an interview with the Albion matchday programme in March 1984: “I’m still only 20 and I’m still growing, so I know how important to eat well. I moved into my flat on the seafront in Hove last year. I hadn’t done much cooking before that. Once I was in my own place, I had to give it a try and now I’m not too bad. I eat a lot of steak and good fresh fruit and vegetables.” He joined Bournemouth in a surprisingly low £15,000 deal in December 1984, making 60 appearances for the Cherries.
Paul Wood (Striker)
This striker had an eventful 1989/90 season. He was handed Garry Nelson’s number seven shirt on the opening day over Bournemouth. Although he did not score in the 2-1 victory, he retained his place in the side, albeit in the number eight shirt, and struck twice in a famous 5-4 defeat against Sheffield United a month later. He joined the Blades in December that year before returning to the Goldstone in March 1990, to score for Dave Bassett’s men in a 2-2 draw with the Seagulls. Sheffield United were promoted to Division One at the end of 1989/90, but his appearances in the top flight were severely limited. This led to two loan periods at Bournemouth, eventually leading to a permanent move in November 1991. He scored at Dean Court in the Cherries’ 4-2 victory over the Seagulls in the FA Cup in November 1993.
Steve Gritt (Manager)
This experienced ex-player and manager rejoined Bournemouth in 2011, charged with travelling up and down the country watching future opponents and spotting talent. "It's great to be back helping this club," said Gritt, the new chief scout. "Despite being away for so long I've always had an affinity for it. When it's your hometown club and you've played for them as well it's special." Gritt had a great career, after joining AFC Bournemouth as an apprentice in July 1974. He went on to play for Charlton Athletic, Walsall before a return to Charlton. He then joint-managed Charlton for five years with Alan Curbishley from 1991 before becoming Brighton’s manager in 1996. Famously, he led the Seagulls to a miraculous escape from the bottom of the Football League in 1996/97.

[h=3]ALBION V BOURNEMOUTH*******
[/h]FRIDAY 10TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V HUDDERSFIELD******
[/h]TUESDAY 14TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V WATFORD*******
[/h]SATURDAY 25TH APRIL, KICK-OFF 12.15PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here