Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wakehurst Place! 150,000 visitors!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Was planning to visit there for a walk earlier this month but opted for Sheffield park due to the parking charges.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Visited last month as an NT member and although i knew they had started charging was a tad surprised at the cost...only stayed a couple of hours ..will go back but probably take a packed lunch and get there much earlier to make the most of that parking fee

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I wouldn't normally suggest this BUT .... if you're a member of the NT then I don't see why you should pay for parking ... so just don't pay and, as they use private parking companies, I can help you get any charges / invoices cancelled.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Wakehurst visitors numbers are 150k down since parking charges were brought in! Free entry to national trust members but parking charges of up to £10 have driven away 150,000 visitors! Family rev included! Any other chatters swerving the place????

A tenner or £25 per year is peanuts, would you let 150k tramp through your bedroom for free every year?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Wakehurst visitors numbers are 150k down since parking charges were brought in! Free entry to national trust members but parking charges of up to £10 have driven away 150,000 visitors! Family rev included! Any other chatters swerving the place????
The very same reason me and the wife avoid Kew Gardens, because of the parking charges, used to enjoy going to Wakehurst and Kew ;)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A tenner or £25 per year is peanuts, would you let 150k tramp through your bedroom for free every year?

Think you've missed the point there! You still have to pay to get in on top of this, and National Trust members (who've already paid) usually get free parking at National Trust properties.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't normally suggest this BUT .... if you're a member of the NT then I don't see why you should pay for parking ... so just don't pay and, as they use private parking companies, I can help you get any charges / invoices cancelled.

That would work! There's also a public footpath through from the Balcombe Road.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its been great visiting without all the crowds, put them up to £15..

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Cost me loads for 10 minutes parking as I was over the limit by 10 mins for NT members, members should be free regardless of how long you park for. It is not true that NT members don't pay for parking they have to at Shugborough Hall in Staffordshire, get in for free but parking costs, this is leased to Staffordshire council and they inflict the parking charge.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd not realized this and it's not good: they might think this is a good way to squeeze a bit more dosh out of people but if this sets a precedent that other properties start to follow, the National Trust will eventually start to suffer as people just won't bother with membership if you always end up having to pay yet more on top for parking.

That's me put right off visiting Wakehurst Place anyway - presumably takings in the cafe and shops must be down in line with visitor numbers. Silly, short-termist decision IMHO.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
The very same reason me and the wife avoid Kew Gardens, because of the parking charges, used to enjoy going to Wakehurst and Kew ;)

They're part of the same group aren't they?
I'm not sure quite how it's worked out, but wakehurst isn't a standard NT property, it's run by the Kew lot. Presumably something to do with the seed bank there.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This is surely where NSC can find somewhere else near Wakehurst Place to park in order to avoid this heinous parking rip-off? Let's sock it to da man...well, to the old ladies in Barbour jackets anyway.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We are members of the NT and when the parking regs came in we were a bit peeved, but bought one season ticket..only £20 I think.

We are there most weekends as we love the place and therefore the NT and Kew subs are well worth it.

BTW. There are many more NT properties looking at doing the same according to the quarterly newsletter. I think people were asked to canvass opinions.

Actually one downside of the drop in numbers are that the ducks are always hungry compared to Sheffield park, where they are just greedy guts!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Forget all that RHS and National Trust rubbish.

Come a visit Preston Rock Garden opposite Preston Park in Brighton. IT'S FREE.

There is an incredible amount of Daffodils and Tulips out at the moment along with Anemones, Hyacinths and Chinadoxa.

The waterfall looks good, the pond is full of hungry fish and there's millions of tadpoles everywhere. You might even catch a glimpse of Terri the Terrapin !!!!

Be good to see you.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Forget all that RHS and National Trust rubbish.

Come a visit Preston Rock Garden opposite Preston Park in Brighton. IT'S FREE.

There is an incredible amount of Daffodils and Tulips out at the moment along with Anemones, Hyacinths and Chinadoxa.

The waterfall looks good, the pond is full of hungry fish and there's millions of tadpoles everywhere. You might even catch a glimpse of Terri the Terrapin !!!!

Be good to see you.

Ah but is there a series of lakes and can you feed pete the pike. Can you walk for miles without seeing a soul?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
They're part of the same group aren't they?
I'm not sure quite how it's worked out, but wakehurst isn't a standard NT property, it's run by the Kew lot. Presumably something to do with the seed bank there.

As with Shugborough it is leased to Kew by NT and NT have no say in running it, part of the lease is that NT members must be given some if not completely free access but parking charges and who they apply to are up to the firm which owns the lease.

Many NT properties already charge for parking but if displaying an NT badge it is free, Birling Gap is an example of this in the South East plenty more around the country, the nearest place to me Clent Hills has parking charges and has for years but is free to NT members.

If you want to save money get yourself a Scottish NT membership cheaper than English one, gives same access and same free parking but the parking sticker is HUGE!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here