Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trident.......yes or no

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
simple question do we need a nuclear deterent

IMHO why do we need a deterent to protect America because it certainly will not protect us, its just their early warning system ..........if they want this they they should pay for it.

just think of all the things we could use that money on?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes. Defence is critical. I remember when the Cold War ended and the feel good factor that the world was at peace. Didn't last long.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
National defence is one of the undisputable objectives of a sovereign government.

Almost everything else is a luxury compared to it, whether we like it or not. I feel like my tax money is wasted on a lot of things, but national security is not one of those things.

Recent geopolitical events tell us that wars of conquest are still real, we are not yet living in some utopian age where diplomacy alone is enough to defend us from enemies.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No. Utterly pointless waste of money. However both Lab and Con will keep it for vanity reasons.

Of course the smart thing is get rid and stop paying for it, but pretend we still have it, as we are never going to use it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes.

With a psychotic dictator in the Kremlin who has already threatened to nuke Danish warships if they provide missile defence, then I'd rather the British had our nukes to deter nuclear attack, rather than rely on the resolve of a US President to provide that deterrence.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I sit on the fence on this one - I don't understand why we can't keep what we've got rather than renew it ?

Also, maybe someone can explain to me, why each sub carries 16 missiles but only 3 warheads ? What are they meant to do once three have been fired ?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I sit on the fence on this one - I don't understand why we can't keep what we've got rather than renew it ?

Also, maybe someone can explain to me, why each sub carries 16 missiles but only 3 warheads ? What are they meant to do once three have been fired ?

The decision to renew will just make some defence contractors even richer. That's the point of renewing. Greasing the wheels. It's nothing to do with national defence.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

That doesn't sound right. You usually have more warheads than missiles since each missile is capable of delivering more than one warhead. It is not public what each sub carries, but I think those numbers are wrong.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No.

Even leaving aside the fact that the money could be spent elsewhere (although just throwing it at the current NHS would be almost as bad) if you assume it's ring-fenced defence spending it would be be better spent on weapons for the type of wars we'll be fighting in the future, not on the one that we didn't fight forty years ago.

In much the same way as a football team has forwards and defenders so the NATO 'team' can have different types of player. Let the Americans handle the nuclear stuff and we'll do other roles. We're hardly likely to launch our little rockets without consulting with them anyway, so it'll never be an 'independent' deterrent.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That doesn't sound right. You usually have more warheads than missiles since each missile is capable of delivering more than one warhead. It is not public what each sub carries, but I think those numbers are wrong.

Note the source :

warheads.JPG

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Yes , world full of nutters who want nothing more than to get rid of the western way of life.

Crocodile Dundee had it sussed "thats not a knife....................this is a knife! "

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
No.

Even leaving aside the fact that the money could be spent elsewhere (although just throwing it at the current NHS would be almost as bad) if you assume it's ring-fenced defence spending it would be be better spent on weapons for the type of wars we'll be fighting in the future, not on the one that we didn't fight forty years ago.

In much the same way as a football team has forwards and defenders so the NATO 'team' can have different types of player. Let the Americans handle the nuclear stuff and we'll do other roles. We're hardly likely to launch our little rockets without consulting with them anyway.

That's like saying we don't need a goalkeeper because there's one in Lewis. America will not use their nuclear deterrent if the UK is invaded, so our effective deterrent is nonexistent. The argument is invalid.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
They might cost a lot actually having to fight a conventional war costs a f*ck load more.
So maybe they save money in the long run :shrug:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
According to SIPRI in 2014 we spent 2.2% of our GDP on defence related spend. Same as France, Uganda and Vietnam. Much less than the U.S. and Russia of course. More then countries like Germany and Japan who are more reticent post WWII. Anyway, feels about right to me

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes , world full of nutters who want nothing more than to get rid of the western way of life.

Crocodile Dundee had it sussed "thats not a knife....................this is a knife! "

USA and Russia have Chainsaws, France and China have meat cleavers and we are turning up with a penknife. Still, makes me feel safe :facepalm:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Yes - it's no surprise that the worlds major nuclear powers (NPT signatories) haven't gone directly to war with each other since 1945.

We would never use them - but they act as such a deterrent. I honestly think Russia would not have invaded Crimea and Eastern Ukraine if they hadn't given up their weapons by 1996.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's like saying we don't need a goalkeeper because there's one in Lewis. America will not use their nuclear deterrent if the UK is invaded, so our effective deterrent is nonexistent. The argument is invalid.

Oh don't be stupid it isn't the same at all. Also NATO members are bound by a treaty that says an attack on one is an attack on all, don't tell me you want to keep nuclear weapons on the offchance that the Americans won't honour their treaty obligations. And we haven't even mentioned the insanity of blowing up the world and poisoning it with fallout just to prove a point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here