Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lille

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I am taking my son to see Lille play as an 18th birthday treat. We will have the weekend there.

Where should we stay (cheaply), is getting to the ground easy, etc?

As usual, I expect that the vast knowledge and experience of NSC will serve me well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been to Lille a few times but have never been to Lille's ground. There's a fantastic transport system in Lille, it's dead easy to get around. You can go by metro or tram (it's the first place that I saw driverless trams). There are a plenty of cheap hotels around, I normally stay at the Ibis, but there's lots of choice.

The old town square has plenty of interesting bars and cafes and if you go a few stops, there's a massive market on Sundays

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've been to Lille a few times but have never been to Lille's ground. There's a fantastic transport system in Lille, it's dead easy to get around. You can go by metro or tram (it's the first place that I saw driverless trams). There are a plenty of cheap hotels around, I normally stay at the Ibis, but there's lots of choice.

The old town square has plenty of interesting bars and cafes and if you go a few stops, there's a massive market on Sundays

Cheers Gwylan, is the Ibis fairly central?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta love NSC.

Can anyone PROPERLY recommend a good restaurant in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan?

Ta muchly

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I went to a game there a couple of years ago. It's a very impressive, new stadium and, providing you're going to a reasonably big match, the atmosphere should be noisy.

I used the park and ride and it worked well. Crowd was around 25,000 and the queues for the buses weren't too bad. Could be long, though, if it's a full house. The ground is in the suburb of Villeneuve d'Ascq with the usual fast-food outlets around it.

Probably best to get the underground and eat/drink in the old town (which is a great place). Lille is very much apart from the rest of France as beer is the drink of choice. As for eating, can't go wrong with chips and mayo or americain/merguez (chips and spicy sausages in a baguette, delicious!).

Have a great time!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Lille ? A bit random isn't it ?

I've heard great things about the place, it's easy to get to, and there's a local derby against Lens on the weekend that we are free. See below!

I went to a game there a couple of years ago. It's a very impressive, new stadium and, providing you're going to a reasonably big match, the atmosphere should be noisy.

I used the park and ride and it worked well. Crowd was around 25,000 and the queues for the buses weren't too bad. Could be long, though, if it's a full house. The ground is in the suburb of Villeneuve d'Ascq with the usual fast-food outlets around it.

Probably best to get the underground and eat/drink in the old town (which is a great place). Lille is very much apart from the rest of France as beer is the drink of choice. As for eating, can't go wrong with chips and mayo or americain/merguez (chips and spicy sausages in a baguette, delicious!).

Have a great time!

Cheers AG, much appreciated! A weekend away with my son, just after his birthday, in a beer-centric city sounds perfect. Looking forward to it!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
You're going to the derby? A sound choice.

Lille and Lens haven't played each other for a few years so this will be the first one in the new stadium. Lens are historically the better supported and more successful club but recent years have seen the balance swing towards Lille. Lens may well be already relegated by the time you go - their fans are very unhappy with the way the club is being run. They're a passionate lot - one of the best three sets of fans in France IMHO (with Marseille and Saint-Etienne).

I'm quite jealous of you - hope it's a good game!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am taking my son to see Lille play as an 18th birthday treat. We will have the weekend there.

Where should we stay (cheaply), is getting to the ground easy, etc?

As usual, I expect that the vast knowledge and experience of NSC will serve me well.

Drove past it today on the way back from La Piscine in Roubiax http://www.roubaix-lapiscine.com (also worth a visit). The stadium is next door to an enormous multi story & adjacent to the motorway if you are driving. I must get round to going along some time, maybe the Lens derby!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I go to Lille a lot for work. Great place - a good, honest northern European city.

Easy to get around and loads of places to eat and drink

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not this weekend is it? You killing two birds with one stone there Pogue? Rather convenient location to find yourself in on the 12th :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, not too far from the station. There's also a Mercure in town, also cheap and cheerful

I endorse what others have said about it being a beer-dominated city: it's no place to drink wine. Beer features very strongly in cooking too.

The dominant local offering is Ch'Ti, which is OK for a French beer. It's not a patch on Belgian brew but a considerable step up from most French rubbish (Ch'Ti is also local slang for a native of the region).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not this weekend is it? You killing two birds with one stone there Pogue? Rather convenient location to find yourself in on the 12th :thumbsup:

If only, 1066! This Saturday is his actual birthday, so I have to stay in town.

The game is on May 2nd, so I won't be going to Middlesbrough (bad fan).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You're going to the derby? A sound choice.

Lille and Lens haven't played each other for a few years so this will be the first one in the new stadium. Lens are historically the better supported and more successful club but recent years have seen the balance swing towards Lille. Lens may well be already relegated by the time you go - their fans are very unhappy with the way the club is being run. They're a passionate lot - one of the best three sets of fans in France IMHO (with Marseille and Saint-Etienne).

I'm quite jealous of you - hope it's a good game!

Even more excited after reading that!

I have now booked tickets for the match, hotel and Eurotunnel. Now we just need to explore the bars!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Even more excited after reading that!

I have now booked tickets for the match, hotel and Eurotunnel. Now we just need to explore the bars!

This sounds a bloody brilliant weekend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here