Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dumbfounded: Utterly ridiculous bureaucracy

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm trying to organise the music for my father-in-laws funeral. As he was a motor racing driver in the 50's, the family have asked for the BBC Grand Prix theme music to be played as the curtains draw (it's a cremation). We don't want to have the whole of The Chain by Fleetwood Mac as the lyrics before it gets to the Grand Prix music aren't really appropriate.

However, we are not allowed to download and use the BBC Grand Prix theme music, as that is owned by The Beeb and protected by copyright or pubic performance law or something stupid, so I suggested well can you then play The Chain by Fleetwood Mac, but with the volume at 0 up to the point where the Grand Prix piece starts, and apparently that is fine.

Completely bonkers. Same piece of music, by the same band, but we can't have just the bit we want. :nono: :shootself:

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Just download it from the net...itll be there somewhere... see if they report on the news that BBC is suing a family over funeral music.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Find a youtube video with the exact version you want. Then convert it to an mp3 file and burn it to a cd.

(google "youtube to mp3")

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Find a youtube video with the exact version you want. Then convert it to an mp3 file and burn it to a cd.
Best check with the crematorium or your funeral director first. Some crematoriums will only play commercial CDs (ie ones that you bought in a shop or on-line) and won't allow home recorded ones.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sorted now. The crematorium use a specific company that holds a huge online library of music. Just been on their website and they do have a version of The Chain that starts at the appropriate point :thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Now the music issue's resolved, how about getting in Murray Walker to commentate?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
From experience some do allow home made CDs, and I'm hoping so for mine will have a reflective piece mid-service where I have overdubbed a message wishing well and thanks to everyone etc, bar a few that get a special mention.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Now the music issue's resolved, how about getting in Murray Walker to commentate?

:lolol:

"Red light... green light...The curtains are open and it's GO! GO! GO!"

(No disrespect intended. I'm sorry for your loss and I am glad you have sorted the music you wanted).

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Made our own CD for my Mum. If I was asked who ripped the tunes of Youtube, I'd have told them it wasn't me , it was Mum. :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely if the crematorium has a PPL license you can play whatever you want as long as it doesn't infringe their own rules e.g. It's offensive in some way? I know if you're making income in anyway you have to ask permission but surely this is a simple public performance covered by the PPL?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
From experience some do allow home made CDs, and I'm hoping so for mine will have a reflective piece mid-service where I have overdubbed a message wishing well and thanks to everyone etc, bar a few that get a special mention.

I thought you were only in your thirties:ohmy:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I thought of " Wish you were here" but then again..............

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely if the crematorium has a PPL license you can play whatever you want as long as it doesn't infringe their own rules e.g. It's offensive in some way? I know if you're making income in anyway you have to ask permission but surely this is a simple public performance covered by the PPL?
Don't know the whys and the wherefores, but in my experience home made CDs have been banned. Whether it's a copyright issue, or PPL, or just an awkward jobs-worth in charge of the Crem, I don't know.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Ask [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]. He'll know the score on that front

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here