Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Starting a sentence with an and. And whether it is right?

1 Not allowed!
    So I've received a letter from my old Etonian buddy Dave today, and noted that there are 5 instances of a sentence starting with an 'and'. This was very much a no no when I was being taught grammar.

There is also a sentence beginning with a 'because' and a 'but'. Again, both to be avoided I always thought?

I found reading it quite jarring if I'm honest, my face wincing like I'd crunched a particularly tart pickled onion.

Or am I just stuck in '70's and '80's syntax?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Everything in Moderation Prince Monolulu's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      But surely not? And you could use 'additionally'. Because of this it makes things tough.
      I gotta Horse!
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      And the referee gives Bournemouth a penalty - obviously right.
      And the referee gives Brighton a penalty-obviously wrong.

8 Not allowed!
      Yes, Bold, you are.

And the real reason you found it 'jarring' was because Dave sent it.

Because he is a ****.

But you already knew that.

2 Not allowed!
      It's fine to start a sentence with a conjunction, but a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that it isn't. But I'd advise against over-using it, just for stylistic reasons. The same is true of split infinitives.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So I've received a letter from my old Etonian buddy Dave today, and noted that there are 5 instances of a sentence starting with an 'and'. This was very much a no no when I was being taught grammar.

There is also a sentence beginning with a 'because' and a 'but'. Again, both to be avoided I always thought?

I found reading it quite jarring if I'm honest, my face wincing like I'd crunched a particularly tart pickled onion.

I think you and Dave are stuck in the 70's and 80's PERIOD.

I mean who sends letters any more ?
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
      Members The Andy Naylor Fan Club's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      I'm not sure, but I love this....

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
      When you are out and about, if you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post

What about when people start sentances with 'so' ?
      Out of contract June 2020 : Bong, Balogun, Kayal, Murray, Schelotto, Ahannach

3 Not allowed!
      We're told as kids not to start sentences with and, because etc to make it clear they're connecting words, rather than words that start new sentences. In reality it's fine to use them to start a sentence in a correct case. For example 'because' usually explains something earlier in the sentence, "I wore a coat because it rained". However, you can add the what and why together at the end of the sentence,with a because at the front, "Because it rained, I wore a coat".

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Andy Naylor Fan Club View Post
      I'm not sure, but I love this....

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
      I also like the the fact it's tricky to spot when people use use double words in in their sentences. You might spot one or two but if if done often enough you'll miss one.