Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starting a sentence with an and. And whether it is right?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So I've received a letter from my old Etonian buddy Dave today, and noted that there are 5 instances of a sentence starting with an 'and'. This was very much a no no when I was being taught grammar.

There is also a sentence beginning with a 'because' and a 'but'. Again, both to be avoided I always thought? :shrug:

I found reading it quite jarring if I'm honest, my face wincing like I'd crunched a particularly tart pickled onion.

Or am I just stuck in '70's and '80's syntax?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes, Bold, you are.

And the real reason you found it 'jarring' was because Dave sent it.

Because he is a ****.

But you already knew that.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
It's fine to start a sentence with a conjunction, but a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that it isn't. But I'd advise against over-using it, just for stylistic reasons. The same is true of split infinitives.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So I've received a letter from my old Etonian buddy Dave today, and noted that there are 5 instances of a sentence starting with an 'and'. This was very much a no no when I was being taught grammar.

There is also a sentence beginning with a 'because' and a 'but'. Again, both to be avoided I always thought? :shrug:

I found reading it quite jarring if I'm honest, my face wincing like I'd crunched a particularly tart pickled onion.

I think you and Dave are stuck in the 70's and 80's PERIOD.

I mean who sends letters any more ?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I'm not sure, but I love this....

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

What about when people start sentances with 'so' ? :lolol:

Dec 29, 2011
We're told as kids not to start sentences with and, because etc to make it clear they're connecting words, rather than words that start new sentences. In reality it's fine to use them to start a sentence in a correct case. For example 'because' usually explains something earlier in the sentence, "I wore a coat because it rained". However, you can add the what and why together at the end of the sentence,with a because at the front, "Because it rained, I wore a coat".

Dec 29, 2011

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I also like the the fact it's tricky to spot when people use use double words in in their sentences. You might spot one or two but if if done often enough you'll miss one.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I reckon - as with most language rules - that it's fine to break them as long as you're aware of what you're doing, and understand that breaking them will give your prose a certain tone. In this case I'm certain he knows what he's doing; starting sentences with 'And' gives the words a kind of statesmanlike, speech-y effect (which is one of the reasons that it's jarring I guess). Ed Miliband constantly starts his sentences with 'And'. It's also done loads in the bible as well I think.

I love shit like this.

On another note I really fancy a pickled onion now.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
http://www.thewriter.com/what-we-th...-okay-to-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction/

‘You can’t start a sentence with “and” or “but”!’

Has someone just spluttered this down the phone at you? Fret not. Here’s all the evidence you need to prove them wrong.

‘And the idea that and must not begin a sentence, or even a paragraph, is an empty superstition. The same goes for but. Indeed either word can give unimprovably early warning of the sort of thing that is to follow.’
Kingsley Amis, The King’s English (1997)

‘Contrary to what your high school English teacher told you, there’s no reason not to begin a sentence with but or and; in fact, these words often make a sentence more forceful and graceful. They are almost always better than beginning with however or additionally.’
Professor Jack Lynch, Associate Professor of English, Rutgers University, New Jersey

‘There is a persistent belief that it is improper to begin a sentence with and, but this prohibition has been cheerfully ignored by standard authors from Anglo-Saxon times onwards.’
RW Burchfield, New Fowler’s Modern English Usage

‘A prejudice lingers from the days of schoolmarmish rhetoric that a sentence should never begin with and. The supposed rule is without foundation in grammar, logic, or art.’
Modern American Usage (1966)

‘There used to be an idea that it was inelegant to begin a sentence with and. That idea is now as good as dead. And to use and in this position may be a useful way of indicating that what you are about to say will reinforce what you have just said.’
Sir Ernest Gowers, The Complete Plain Words (1954)

Just watch your 'dangling modifiers'.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Because you have not given any examples, the question of whether the grammar in his letter is correct is impossible to answer.

And Dave was probably just trying to speak to you on your level anyway.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think its taught in schools to teach children not to construct paragraphs like this:

"I went on holiday to the seaside. And there were some brilliant seagulls. But then a bunch of caravans from Croydon turned up. And I didn't like them. But its ok because the seagulls managed to poo on them three times. And that was good."

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because you have not given any examples, the question of whether the grammar in his letter is correct is impossible to answer.

And Dave was probably just trying to speak to you on your level anyway.

Quick example:

We've come along way since 2010. And now, thanks to the hard work and determination of the British people, we are making our way back: the deficit is down, taxes have been cut, new businesses are opening and more jobs are created. And we've done all this whilst protecting the NHS budget and investing an extra £12.9 billion in it since 2010.

But the job is not done. And the choice you face now is whether we stick to a plan that is working, or turn back and waste all the hard work and sacrifices of the last five years.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
"And did those feet, in ancient times, walk upon England's mountains green?"

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I can read this and all the similar things like it (like the one with two 'the's that I never spot), but my better half just cannot. She spots every single error, deliberate or otherwise, because she does read every letter. Probably should get a job as a proof reader.

Oh, and dyslexics struggle too.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Quick example:

We've come along way since 2010 and now, thanks to the hard work and determination of the British people, we are making our way back: the deficit is down; taxes have been cut; new businesses are opening; and more jobs are created. We've done all this whilst protecting the NHS budget and investing an extra £12.9 billion in it since 2010.

However, the job is not done and the choice you face now is whether we stick to a plan that is working, or turn back and waste all the hard work and sacrifices of the last five years.

... corrected for CMD. Grrrr.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here