Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question HELP PLEASE

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
OK so we are ramping up the marketing for my movie - http://www.thecuttingroommovie.com/

Here is the question.

Would it put you off a horror film you saw in Tescos / iTunes / Amazon if you knew the budget was only £10,000, make you more likely to buy it, or would you not really care?

Really interested to hear any thoughts. Wondering whether to push the tiny budget or not with the press release?

Cheers all.

Warren

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Pilot study 20 Tesco branches with 10 each way, then roll out through full network with 90% with the pilot winner with a 10% control sample of the pilot loser to confirm stats for future

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In football, they generally say if a player is good enough, they are old enough.

I know nothing about films, but I would say if a film is good enough, it cost enough. So, personally, I wouldn't push the budget angle.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Interesting question as some films get some traction and a good fan based because it's been done well but on a budget. However many would over look it because of the small budget.

I would suggest don't 'push' the budget angle unless asked, let it build a momentum of its own.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Depends what rrp is if its like £4.99 people will take a punt regardless. Blair witch project was low budget and that did well.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't mention budget. Let reviewers flag that point be it positive or negative. The film stands alone, up to others to decide if the budget is a factor.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not sure the low budget would be something I'd want to mention, I have a gut feeling that you'd put off more people than it'd attract.

Bloody amazing what you've done mind, I hope it makes you a million!

Good luck :thumbsup:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Hiya Warren, I happen to know you from having met you at Christmas time at a family gathering a couple of months ago (I'm Gary's stepson), I never knew you were on here. Anyway, I wish you the best luck with the film, I know I'll be getting it.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Thanks everyone. Interesting that you are all coming down on the same side.

I am just looking for a hook for our Press Release... the budget may have been one.

...another slant maybe that our only investor is horror writer James Herbert's brother and his nephew TJ, stars in the film. Possibly not that interesting though!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OK so we are ramping up the marketing for my movie - http://www.thecuttingroommovie.com/

Here is the question.

Would it put you off a horror film you saw in Tescos / iTunes / Amazon if you knew the budget was only £10,000, make you more likely to buy it, or would you not really care?

Really interested to hear any thoughts. Wondering whether to push the tiny budget or not with the press release?

Cheers all.

Warren

Think the budget slant is a non-starter, it's like a plea for sympathy when viewing. Think BIG (tho if you have an offer from Tesco's that's pretty excellent going to start with!)

There's a new Horror Channel on Freeview. currently mainly filled with dross and the worst and wobbliest of Doctor Who. Why not offer them the movie for free? There's hundreds of film festivals worldwide, some of them free to enter, some cost about twenty quid per entry. Enter them al for which you qualify! Make the most of Latest TV, OK. next to nobody watches it, but somebody who is a film talent spotter just might.Offer them a screening. My nephew, a very talented student film maker got his film aired in full on their FilmFest8 programme, plus his cast and crew representatives got interviewed and broadcast prior to the screening. That can only help. Plus, of course, we've got Duke of Yorks and Dukes @ Komedia on our doorstep. Hustle them for a screening. and of course there's the Brighton festival and the Brighton CINECITY film Festival and... well, I could go on, but you get the idea. In summary, what I'd say you REALLY need is an enthusiastic PUBLICIST. You've done all the real hard work making the film, the next challenge is to HUSTLE it. Good luck! :thumbsup:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Think the budget slant is a non-starter, it's like a plea for sympathy when viewing. Think BIG (tho if you have an offer from Tesco's that's pretty excellent going to start with!)

There's a new Horror Channel on Freeview. currently mainly filled with dross and the worst and wobbliest of Doctor Who. Why not offer them the movie for free? There's hundreds of film festivals worldwide, some of them free to enter, some cost about twenty quid per entry. Enter them al for which you qualify! Make the most of Latest TV, OK. next to nobody watches it, but somebody who is a film talent spotter just might.Offer them a screening. My nephew, a very talented student film maker got his film aired in full on their FilmFest8 programme, plus his cast and crew representatives got interviewed and broadcast prior to the screening. That can only help. Plus, of course, we've got Duke of Yorks and Dukes @ Komedia on our doorstep. Hustle them for a screening. and of course there's the Brighton festival and the Brighton CINECITY film Festival and... well, I could go on, but you get the idea. In summary, what I'd say you REALLY need is an enthusiastic PUBLICIST. You've done all the real hard work making the film, the next challenge is to HUSTLE it. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Cheers! I think TV comes last in the distributors 'to do' list. First will be DVD's and iTunes, then Netflix / Sky Movies and then terrestrial TV. As you say the Tesco thing is HUGE for us... we just need to make sure it sells enough to stay there.

Ultimately, as with any product, it has to stand up on it's own two feet and then it'll fly.

Fingers crossed... It's bloody nerve-wracking though, I'll tell you that!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers! I think TV comes last in the distributors 'to do' list. First will be DVD's and iTunes, then Netflix / Sky Movies and then terrestrial TV. As you say the Tesco thing is HUGE for us... we just need to make sure it sells enough to stay there.

Ultimately, as with any product, it has to stand up on it's own two feet and then it'll fly.

Fingers crossed... It's bloody nerve-wracking though, I'll tell you that!

For sure, but in a FANTASTIC way tho eh? Like I say, you've done all the hard work getting the film across the finishing line. Time to now pull out all the stops and MAKE it fly! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here