Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We have fallen a long way since the days of "we're effing brilliant"

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Good report - seems like it's honest anyway. Who wrote it?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree with most of that, although I'd have Kayal as captain as he is the real leader on the pitch and I'd keep Stockdale. Otherwise a fairly accurate dissection of yesterday's debacle.

We have fallen indeed

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Slightly tangential to the report, but it got me thinking about free kicks. When was the last time we scored a direct free-kick? Not one passed sideways to Kaz, but a direct shot at goal that went in?

Was it Spanish Dave vs Palace?

We seriously miss a trick not having a player who's capable of getting a free-kick on target.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Slightly tangential to the report, but it got me thinking about free kicks. When was the last time we scored a direct free-kick? Not one passed sideways to Kaz, but a direct shot at goal that went in?

Was it Spanish Dave vs Palace?

We seriously miss a trick not having a player who's capable of getting a free-kick on target.

Holla against Bretford.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Very little to disagree with.......I'm sorry to say.

This.

Does seem like we desparately want [and need] the season to end now so that the hard work can start. However, we really let things slip over the long weekend and 9 points just isn't enough of a cushion to be quite so complacent.

Chris, I know that you are looking ahead now, but we really need you and the team to concentrate a little on the here and now, just for a couple more games!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My concern is, as seems to be backed up by the experience of Norwich fans, that this is just life under Hughton and we are about to experience a period of sould crushingly dull football, especially the away fans.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My concern is, as seems to be backed up by the experience of Norwich fans, that this is just life under Hughton and we are about to experience a period of sould crushingly dull football, especially the away fans.

Do Newcastle fans feel the same way after going up at Champions?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

He got them to their highest position in the Premiership. They weren't moaning then (well some of them were but there are always moaners).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Hughton's problem is the players at his disposal not his tactics. He's been pretty inventive with tactics, he's played one up front, two up front, two wingers, one winger, no wingers. He has been changing it up to try and get this team going and given everyone a chance to prove themselves. Sadly as anyone who saw yesterday's performance will know, at least half the time is utter shite.

We did actually go for it in the second half yesterday, but the quality in the box was so poor hardly anyone noticed.

Hughton has an excellent record in this division and I am confident that should he actually have squad that can actually play a little bit we'll do ok. I am stunned he has got this team 10 points clear of anyone let alone Wigan.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Hughton's problem is the players at his disposal not his tactics. He's been pretty inventive with tactics, he's played one up front, two up front, two wingers, one winger, no wingers. He has been changing it up to try and get this team going and given everyone a chance to prove themselves. Sadly as anyone who saw yesterday's performance will know, at least half the time is utter shite.

We did actually go for it in the second half yesterday, but the quality in the box was so poor hardly anyone noticed.

Hughton has an excellent record in this division and I am confident that should he actually have squad that can actually play a little bit we'll do ok. I am stunned he has got this team 10 points clear of anyone let alone Wigan.

Agree with all that. We need Bloom to back Hughton's judgement in recruitment. Let him have his own players and set them out as he wants - then we will be in a position to make a judgement.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Agree to

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I still think the Wigan game, we simply can not lose it. If they beat us, they close the gap to 6 points. Buoyed by a new manager too, that's 2 wins they need to get to close it completely. I really think we need a draw at the DW to be sure of safety.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That review of the Rotherham game seems pretty fair - and if anything glosses over some other issues too.

Rotherham won it with a classy finish from sloppy Albion defending. Yes, The Millers showed reasonable hunger for a team still looking anxiously over their shoulders - but weren't the force that I thought Evans would send out. Yes they were in our faces and indulged by a weak Ref. but it was hardly a one sided contest. A nice stadium too - but hardly an intimidating cauldron of noise to put us off our game. So no excuses - we were largely architects of our own doom. We held the whip hand for enough of the game, but were clueless in front of goal and frankly never looked like scoring.

Even with 20 minutes left in the second half we should have got an equaliser (Kayal, ahem) - and then maybe shown enough character to get all three points, but sadly not.

The collective lack of passion on the pitch was very worrying. A largely dysfunctional performance, too many basic errors, some key players having a bad day at the office plus more examples of why one or two are past their best. Too many heads dropping too easily. Also too many others probably not expecting to be around next season and willing to let this season fizzle out. No Greer to kick some backsides and too many arguments when the basics went wrong, rather than rolling the sleeves up and fighting for pride.

IMO the tone for this was compounded on the touchline. Yes, Hughton likes to patrol the technical area but I sensed that he and his coaching staff were far too passive when things were not going to plan. Not Hyppia's lame style of management but no great passion either. Only Calderon (bless him) looked like he cared, the rest had their feet up much of the time.

Conversely it was no surprise that the passion from Steve Evans was conspicuous throughout. Ok, not a style of management that I want to see at our Club - but there are moments in a season when the fans want to see some motivational input from 'our' man in charge. I don't suppose Evans would tolerate anyone not putting a shift in - especially sulking around like Leon Best. Evans giving Best a verbal 'appraisal' might be worth watching.

Stepping back from this game I have to believe that Hughton was appointed to secure safety this season and then do a rebuilding job over the summer. Presumably Bloom expects a top 6 finish next season and Hughton accepted assurances from Bloom that sufficient money would be made available to make this a realistic objective.

Meanwhile I really hope that Hughton can inspire some proper performances against Wigan and Huddersfield - and that we don't roll over for Bournemouth, Watford and 'Boro. With all that defensive coaching experience and expertise now at our disposal you would hope to see evidence of us rediscovering the robust defence of recent seasons.

What a contrast with this phase in our previous two seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here