Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading, Millwall, Rotherham

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
...have been my last 3 away games. And after 39 years following Brighton away I am seriously struggling to think of 3 more pitiful performances. I am delighted that is me done away from home now this season.

Rotherham wanted it more today and were better organised. We had the more talented players but the application just wasn't there, especially in an abject 1st half. Stephens and Ince, whom I both like as players, had 'mares.

Big clearout needed I am afraid.

PG

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Too many players who, a couple of seasons ago, had the desire and could cut it in this division. Now I struggle to
name more than 2/3 players in the squad who qualify any more.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I've done 4 away league games this season. Birmingham, Fulham, Reading and Rotherham. I'll let you guess which game I enjoyed the most!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I gave up after Reading. I admire any fans still going away because, quite frankly, you know what you are going to get. Since Hughton took over, there seems to have been a complete absence of interest in away games. He sets out to try and eke out draws and if the opposition score, we lose the game. This attitude has transmitted itself to the players, who just go through the motions.
It is an insult to the fans who are devoting a lot of time and money to follow the club away. We have two away games left and you already know the results.
1) Wigan 1 Brighton 0
2) Middsboro 2 Brighton 0
Nine away games under Hughton and we have scored 3 goals! It is embarrassing. The Chairman should be asking serious questions about strategy. I agree with the original poster. I've done 50 years and I don't remember a sequence of performances as abject as these. We are not getting the uplift at the end of the season that we were all hoping for and it appears that manager and players have given up away from home.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I gave up after Reading. I admire any fans still going away because, quite frankly, you know what you are going to get. Since Hughton took over, there seems to have been a complete absence of interest in away games. He sets out to try and eke out draws and if the opposition score, we lose the game. This attitude has transmitted itself to the players, who just go through the motions.
It is an insult to the fans who are devoting a lot of time and money to follow the club away. We have two away games left and you already know the results.
1) Wigan 1 Brighton 0
2) Middsboro 2 Brighton 0
Nine away games under Hughton and we have scored 3 goals! It is embarrassing. The Chairman should be asking serious questions about strategy. I agree with the original poster. I've done 50 years and I don't remember a sequence of performances as abject as these. We are not getting the uplift at the end of the season that we were all hoping for and it appears that manager and players have given up away from home.

It's really quite sad after we had the Jones results and won the first 2 away under Hughton. It's worrrying for next season but let's hope it changes after Summer recruitment! Also, On the plus side Id point out I don't think we've played badly at the Amex under Hughton in all his games. Not Hyypia badly anyway (I did miss Friday). Funny how football patterns go...

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Despite picking up 4 points, Sheff Wed and Blackburn games were also dire to watch. I have already booked my train ticket to Wigan, but am seriously considering not bothering with a match ticket and just going up there for a day on the p1ss

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
For me apart from a distinct lack of effort from the majority yesterday , what struck me more was the lack of team spirit . No geeing each other up but plenty of pointing the finger when mistakes were made. Body language of most of the players looks poor and a distinct lack of bonding in the dressing room looks apparent .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For me apart from a distinct lack of effort from the majority yesterday , what struck me more was the lack of team spirit . No geeing each other up but plenty of pointing the finger when mistakes were made. Body language of most of the players looks poor and a distinct lack of bonding in the dressing room looks apparent .
Well that sounds like a manager issue.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I was lucky did Reading (shocking) Millwall (bit too cautious) and Blackburn (brilliant) could not do Rotherham, would have enjoyed the new stadium, must have been some improvement second half.

Its where we are right now, Chris using what he can to grind out results, next year should be better when he builds his side.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Despite picking up 4 points, Sheff Wed and Blackburn games were also dire to watch. I have already booked my train ticket to Wigan, but am seriously considering not bothering with a match ticket and just going up there for a day on the p1ss

Just go to Whitehawk to see the great Jake Robinson and co try and book their place in the play offs for the conference, much shorter journey

http://whitehawkfc.com/game-party-saturday-18th-april/

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I actually think there are now a number of players who know they are now on the way out and that this explains the lack-lustre nature of their play.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I actually think there are now a number of players who know they are now on the way out and that this explains the lack-lustre nature of their play.

Nail and head seem to come to the fore there :salute:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
...have been my last 3 away games. And after 39 years following Brighton away I am seriously struggling to think of 3 more pitiful performances.
PG

Obviously suffering from a poor memory, just without thinking too much I give you:

Rochdale October 1996
Barnet August 1996
Port Vale November 1993

Any of our losses in cups to lower league sides, Barnsley in the league cup stands out as we were a Division 1 side at the time, a very long journey back from a midweek game.

No doubt others have memories of more abject away performances through the years.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Obviously suffering from a poor memory, just without thinking too much I give you:

Rochdale October 1996
Barnet August 1996
Port Vale November 1993

Any of our losses in cups to lower league sides, Barnsley in the league cup stands out as we were a Division 1 side at the time, a very long journey back from a midweek game.

No doubt others have memories of more abject away performances through the years.

Agree with you, but for me Reading away this year was bad, whatever you are comparing it too, it felt similar to a 3-0 loss away to Luton a few years back, even though we scored we had no chance..

I think the foreboding clear out has got to many and just hope we trip over the line and roll on the new team

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Rochdale October 1996
Barnet August 1996
Port Vale November 1993

I don't claim to have been to every away game since 1976 and recall the details of each. I am not seeking to demonstrate that I am a superfan, unlike the clear purpose of this reply.

However, for me personally, I can't recall 3 consecutive away games that I have attended that have been so spineless. Roll on the end of the season.

I suspect the comment about players knowing they are off is not far from the truth.

PG

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014

That, is my impression also, despite an improvement following Hughtons arrival, its also apparent in home games.
If this is the case, its even more worrying than lack of ability within the squad.
However, it may be nothing that a couple of goal celebrations wont put right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here